fbpx

Peacock Male Repair Picture Tutorial (IMAGE HEAVY)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Peacock Male Repair Picture Tutorial (IMAGE HEAVY)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

Wow! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Excellent repair job! Another Windstone doctor in the house! 8)

Melissa
      Participant

Those completed pictures are a delight to behold. Beautifully done! ๐Ÿ˜€

Lokie
        Participant

Looks great! ๐Ÿ™‚

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

Maplecarver wrote:

Thanks Maplecarver! That means a lot to me coming from you since you know how bad he really was! LOL! I’m glad I got to bring him back to life!

I wonder how WindstoneCollector is doing with the other one ๐Ÿ™‚

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

PurpleTurtle
            Participant

Wow! That so impressive, dragonfeathers ๐Ÿ˜€ .

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Maplecarver wrote:

Thanks Maplecarver! That means a lot to me coming from you since you know how bad he really was! LOL! I’m glad I got to bring him back to life!

I wonder how WindstoneCollector is doing with the other one ๐Ÿ™‚
              She’s working on it!!! LOL XD
              I took pics of it all, even during his lumpy plastery state, well he was partially resculpted, but at 1 am I wasn’t being choosy. I admit, I did have to put a VERY thin coat of Umber on the spots I already finished just so I could see if they were even. There were alot of gaps and holes in his neck where the head went back on, but a feasible amount of smaller pieces that helped me out. Still alot of recarving to do! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I color coded them to where they matched the body before I glued his head back on. I love my sharpies! lol I have to say, that while this has been a challenge, it had also been rewarding to see his head back where it belongs! ๐Ÿ˜€
              I will try to post pics later this evening in a thread…Sheesh, I guess I could put it here in General or in the PYO huh? *sigh* I dunno, we will have to see later. I actually had to search this Drag0n’s recent posts to find where it was at! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Edit: I am posting my repairs in my PYO thread. ๐Ÿ˜€

Christine
              Participant

I love this tut ๐Ÿ˜€

I just bought this guy on ebay, I couldn’t resist! And I’ve wanted a Jade Oriental ANYTHING forever. I thought he’d be perfect to try out some more advanced repairs on, with the one big chip that’ll need resculpting. I have a couple others that I’ve been too nervous to try as well. So far I’ve only done small paint touchups.

The only problem was, Michael’s didn’t have anything like Apoxie Sculpt! I scoured and scoured and the closest thing I could find was….

!!!

Billy Mays to the rescue!! ๐Ÿ˜† I decided to give it a try. Also, I couldn’t really explain to the clerk helping me that this was the reason I was giggling so hard about it at Michael’s….Green to white technology, man.

Nicole
                Participant

You can always buy apoxie sculpt off ebay. That’s where I got mine and the seller was really nice and shipped very quickly ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually I use the 1 lb size, it takes awhile to use up that much. Drag0nfeathers did a great job demonstrating how to repair a piece, I do it just about the same way, but I’ve found that dental tools are handiest when putting in details. You can find those either online or of all places Harbor Freight. At least I have been able to in the past.

Paint matching for Peacocks is pretty easy mostly, you simply paint the broken areas black, then use Golden brand interference paints in the right colors over the top of that.

Toughest colors to match are the Emeralds, since those are a custom mix from Windstone of various Golden brand paints.

Then of course Ruby & Red Fire are just nightmares due to the type of paint used, it is so beautiful, but sadly the paint itself has durability issues. Also, Melody has none left to be able to give for touch ups.

Anyone wanting to do their own repairs, make very sure your pieces are aligned properly & as tightly as you can manage before gluing, cause once they are on wrong, it is hard to correct. If you plan to send a broken piece to someone else for repair, don’t attempt to fix any of it, just pack up the pieces separately in a baggie & send with the repair. Your repair person will thank you.

Also, I thank all of you for your steadfast support of me through the years & I was very moved to see you mention me so often in your responses throughout this thread. I want you all to know that I appreciate you all & value your friendship.

Kyrin

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

Matching the Emerald Paint and the Red Fire paint is pretty easy when you find the right paints to use. I have pretty flawless matches for those mixed myself. The hardest color I find to flawlessly repair is white. Any imperfection always seems to show through the pearl paint.

Many of what Kyrin said above is accurate as well. When things aren’t properly alligned it makes for a lot of extra work. It’s best not to attempt regluing pieces unless you are skilled at repairing these sculptures…. or really anal like we are ^_^ LOL! Even very clean breaks almost always show a seam of some sort and we are accustomed to disguising them or at the very least making them much less conspicious.

I have also a new thread with more repairs in it for anyone who cares to take a gander.

http://windstoneeditions.com/forum/waiting-list-dissolved-current-worklist-1st-post-temporarily-closing-commissions

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

Suzanne-Marie
                    Participant

Thank you Drag0nfeathers SO MUCH for this so appreciated tutorial !!!
                      It has given me the confidence to try and repair my poor beheaded Hatching Pegasus from like over 20 years ago I forgot I had. The before and after photos are simply AMAZING and your dragon looks stunning and perfect!!!
                      Thank you for this step by step tutorial; will attempt it next week!!
                      Most Sincerely and Respectfully,
                      Suzanne-Marie

LisaD
                      Participant

That was so helpful. What do you recommend to give a dull windstone it shine back?

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

You’re most welcome Suzanne,

I hope the tips I have given you privately helped you out with your repair ^_^

Lisa,

I will thoroughly clean the piece with a stiff bristle brush to remove any and all dust particles. If necessary, lightly dampen the brush to get the piece nice and clean. Once it is dry and I am happy with how it looks I will reseal the entire piece with an acrylic spray enamel (usually high gloss for dragons, and semi gloss for griffins, flap cats, etc) If a piece is particularly dusty I will actually re-antique the entire piece with black and then reseal it for a fresh look, but that’s a bit more daring. Always wait for your piece to be clean and dry 100% before spraying it though. *nods* Anything left in the crevices will discolor if it’s wet and any dust will be resealed into the new finish if it’s not removed.
                          Paint on sealer works on PYOs well enough, but I don’t recommend them if you’re trying to revive a factory finish. It often muddles up the finish and has a poor finished result that looks splotchy or streaky.
                          Also, when spraying, you want nice even coats thick enough that they cover nicely, but not thick enough that it will cause drips. It’s better to practice first on something else.

I love this new Notification thing on the forum! Now I know when people ask me questions on here!

Got a busted Windstone?
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin

LisaD
                          Participant

Thank you so much ?

Sarah
                            Participant

Sounds like a weird thing to ask, but I got a huge box of dental tools actually from my dental hygienist. My dental office autoclaved and resharpened their tools until they felt they were past their prime, I don’t know if all dentist do that, as I know a lot of other medical tools are now just thrown away (like scissors!). My hygienist couldn’t bring herself to just toss them thinking that maybe she could find a use for them, and once she heard how many different crafts I do she was happy to give them to me. I’d be willing to bet at least some other offices would be willing to do the same thing is asked. Mine were all clean and autoclaved, they were just no longer good for dental use. So if someone is looking to find dental tools to play with and either can’t find them or afford them, it can’t hurt to ask. Oddly enough you can ask for damn near anything that’s touched you in the medical field, dentist are some of the few that still autoclave and reuse, I have a large number of scissors because of that now.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.