fbpx

Peacock Emperor restoration, lots of pics!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Peacock Emperor restoration, lots of pics!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Hello all! Some of you might remember that I purchased a near mint peacock emperor a few months back, only to be heartbroken when he arrived in the mail, smashed and ground in places (thanks to a hole in the bottom of the box that his arm poked through!) Well lots of Apoxiesculpt and few months later, I’ve restored all of his missing bits, including his entire right arm. Here are some progress pics!

The big fella fresh out of the box…

And here he is now! I’m not entirely happy with his restored wrist, but I’m not Melody and can’t match her work by any stretch! You gain a whole new level of respect for her work by doing this much rebuilding of a sculpt. There’s a TON of detail on this big guy, and the symmetry between sides is amazing. Now the resculpted parts just need to be painted to match, and sealed! I’ll keep you guys updated as I go. This has been the biggest restoration project I’ve done thus far, but it’s been fun and given me the perfect name for the big guy: Shatterstar ๐Ÿ˜‰

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Zelda
      Participant

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

I think you did great on resculpting his wrist! I know what you mean about resculpting though, it’s hard to rebuild what Melody creates, she packs so much detail into it.

You did a great job on him, just need to get the repainting done and he’ll be beautiful again, you getting paints from Melody, or do you already have them?

Kyrin

dragonmedley
        Participant

Oh wow! He’ll as good as new once you have the paint on.

I got a broken scratcher; all I’ve done was reglue him and filled in a bit of the cracks. I haven’t even attempted to match colors yet.

You did an awesome job!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Adaneth
          Participant

It looks like you’ve done a really good job, considering all the damage to the poor fellow! Looking forward to seeing him painted! ๐Ÿ˜€

twindragonsmum
            Participant

Beautiful job! Very impressive!

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜€

tdm

Pegasi1978
              Participant

๐Ÿ˜ฏ Can’t wait to see him repainted. I think you’ve done a wonderful jub resculpting the broken bits. And what a cool name for him – Shatterstar.

Andrea
                Participant

Great job redoing the wrist! It looks amazing!

siberakh1
                  Participant

Awesome job! I can’t wait to see him finished! He’ll be a beauty again!

Zelda
                    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! To answer your question Kyrin, I’m going to ask Melody if she could send me some paint. Since the areas I have to cover over are so big, I wouldn’t want to risk using other brands and getting the colors off. He’d come out with big weird blotches! But with the resculpting complete the hard part’s over with. I’ll post more pics when I have them!

WolfenMachine
                      Participant

WOW, he looks great, Zelda! Where did you learn to re-sculpt? Did you get some tips from Melody or just wing it? That’s one of the worst broken dragons I’ve seen, I think O.O Aside from GB’s Unicorn Gargoyle and sitting spectral ๐Ÿ™

darjeb
                        Participant

For the amount of damage done to him it looks like you have done a wonderful job rebuilding him

laphon1
                          Participant

Beautiful job. And that is a wonderful name for him.

lamortefille
                            Participant

I think he looks great!

Zelda
                              Participant

Thanks again! WolvenMachine, nope my repair work is self-taught. I sculpt with polymer clay and build and paint model kits when I get the time, so working with Apoxiesculpt is very similar as far as methods go. Melody’s detail work is really a combo of sculpture and carving, since she etches into the pieces as they dry (at least as far as I understand it!). The best way I’ve found to do repairs on that large of an area is to get reference pics (or better yet, another sculpture) and try and mirror that as much as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.