fbpx

Paypal verification, how do you deal with it?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Paypal verification, how do you deal with it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lupuslunae
    Participant

Hiyas all, I just got a disturbing email from paypal saying I was near my spending/sending whatever limit and have to become verified to keep using Paypal. I didn’t think anything of this until I read that being verified involves linking a bank account to my paypal account, which I simply won’t do. I love paypal, it’s fast and easy and secure and I use it for damn near everything online, but they are for-profit business and there is no reason they need my bank account information.

Has this issue popped up for other people? Is there any way around it? I was thinking of using one of my other email addresses and just opening a new paypal account altogether…

dragonmedley
      Participant

First thing, are you sure it did come from Paypal? A lot of spam manage to have the right name, but when you look at the actual address, it gives them away.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Skeeterdeee
        Participant

It’s been several years since I verified my Paypal account, but I remember getting that email.
          To tell if the email is a spam “phishing” attempt, read the fine print at the bottom of the email. If anything is spelled wrong (like “paypall.com” is one I’ve seen) forward it to spoof@paypal.com. They actually do read them and keep track of the fake emails going around and will respond to you.
          If anything sounds fishy to you, call paypal directly, that’s what they’re getting paid for. Make them explain it to you and see if there are any other options to help get you going again.
          πŸ™‚

Laurie
          Participant

Verification is really not a big deal. But, like the others said, make sure the email is from Paypal. Go to your paypal account, NOT THRU THE EMAIL and see if paypal sent you that message. If they did, get verified. πŸ™‚

Lupuslunae
            Participant

I did go through the website to find the information there. it’s a real email, it links to the real paypal site.

I do consider it a big deal simply because a for-profit business has no business in having access to my account with my credit union. I will call paypal just to hear the crapfest and dish out some of my own, but I seriously doubt they can appease me; there’s just nothing they can offer or say that will make me link my bank account to paypal. I was thinking about opening an account at another bank and letting the minimum amount rot there and call it my paypal account, but I don’t think I should have to go to that trouble and the whole principle of it pisses me off.

It ticks me off too because last semester I was doing business forecast searches in Dialog and Factiva and several big banks were expressing and interest in collaboration to form a paypal like online service. It’s really no time for paypal to alientate its users with demands of access to their bank accounts when there are sharks in the water.

Kujacker
              Participant

It’s really no time for paypal to alientate its users with demands of access to their bank accounts when there are sharks in the water.

Paypal has always done this. It’s nothing new. From as far back as I can remember, they had that spending limit before you had to verify with them. Sure, you could get around it a few times if you really tried, but it was still going to pop up again eventually.

I actually did open a second bank account for paypal. But I closed it not even 6 months later when my bank decided they were going to charge something like $10 a month on accounts that didn’t have “x” amount of activity each month. Pft.

Also, people “trust”, or rather, are use to paypal. I don’t think a nobody company could just sweep in and screw them over.

Skeeterdeee
                Participant

Just trying to help… πŸ˜₯

Awwww skeeter it was totally helpful advice and kind of you to even offer it. No sad cry faces k. πŸ™‚ I get ya!

Lupuslunae
                  Participant

I know you’re just offering your best advice, and I appreciate it. I’m pissed at the situation and didn’t intend for any of my responses to “sound” like a snap.

Skeeterdeee
                    Participant

Awwww skeeter it was totally helpful advice and kind of you to even offer it. No sad cry faces k. πŸ™‚ I get ya!

Thanks, Branzy! πŸ™‚

I just don’t think it’s anything to get worked up about. πŸ™‚ I joined eBay back in the mid-to-late 90’s and signed up for paypal when more sellers started accepting it (back in the olden days you used to have to mail the seller a check, wait for the check to clear, then wait for your item to arrive. It took like a month to complete just one transaction!). I’m in control of WHO my money goes to, how much, and where the funds come from. Sometimes it’s nice to have your bank account to fall back on (or when my hubby just depostied his paycheck and I want to buy a new Windstone with it, teeheee!). Whatever type of payment you have linked to you paypal right now hasn’t been abused, the secondary source of funds is just added security for both you and paypal.

Lupuslunae
                      Participant

Simply put, it should be very hard to have access to an individual’s bank account. The federal government can do it, it’s how the IRS can take away your money for unpaid taxes.
                        And paypal does abuse it. My sister used to sell lots of unwanted items on ebay and have the funds deposited in her bank account through paypal. Well, it turns out someone won one of her auctions paid with a stolen credit card. So the funds, something like $100, were taken right back out of her bank account. It was a complicated scenario: how do you protect the real owner of the credit card and the seller who has lost property to the fraudulent buyer? Their solution of take back the money and screw the rest of it was disturbing to say the least. It should be much harder then that to fiddle with an individual’s savings, and I feel a for-profit has no right in hell to do it in the first place.

Setsunawolf
                        Participant

I have a free checking account that I linked to Paypal. That way I can use it, and they don’t have access to my real account. I”m not happy they want my banking info, but I don’t have to give them the account I use for my everyday transactions.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Tara
                          Participant

I verified my account. Then because it defaults to debit and I didn’t always remember to switch it I got dinged overdraft a couple times. So I removed my bank account off of my paypal. It still says I’m verified even though I no longer have a bank account assigned to it. I don’t know if they have some way of retaining that info after it’s removed or what but I haven’t had a charge to my bank account since. It might be a way to compromise. Attach an account wait for their test payment and then remove it.

Elena
                            Participant

From what I remember from when I verified my paypal (years ago) is that you reach a spending limit per month, anything over that is what they want verification for or if you don’t it means that you can’t use paypal until next month.

The verification is basically proving that you have money to spend on things and are not wasting the sellers (or paypal’s) time with charges that will have to be reversed

Many of the forum members (again years ago) had set up a separate mini account strictly for paypal and verification. If you are worried about it that could be a route to go.

*** AM NOT STARTING AN ARGUMENT HERE! ***
                              (I put this up because it’s hard to tell tone on the internet and I am not saying this to upset anyone!)

While I agree that letting them have your banking info is a bit scary, consider this. If your employer direct deposits into your bank account, they technically have access to your account. The same for Credit cards. And credit card companies are definitely for profit πŸ˜‰ Heck, all banks are for profit institutions! I recently went through a fight with VISA for them taking money from my account, and not even an account that was attached to the credit card! It is important to check your account regularly so that you can spot strange things or things you don’t agree with immediately. There is just as much risk of there being a credit card skimmer at the mall to steal you info or there have been instances here of skimmers in ATMs and bank machines! I actually keep a spread sheet of the money I spend/withdraw from my bank account and check it at least every couple of weeks (usually payday since that’s a good reminder! πŸ™‚ )

Here all institutions have to justify WHY they are taking funds out of your account (an you have every right to call them and ask for an explanation!) and you can fight (and win) with them. 99% of all financial institutions and people that have access to your account are honest and yes glitches and accidents happen (that was the first time in 20 years that I’ve had any issue with VISA), but 99% of that time they are remedied. There is that 1% that makes every one look bad.

Just something to think about! πŸ˜€

Laurie
                              Participant

Interesting that this was in the Times today. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.