fbpx

Painting a small area accurately with an Airbrush

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Painting a small area accurately with an Airbrush

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rachelled
    Participant

I’m so mad at myself! I had to move a small lamp that was behind my Mother Dragon on my desk, and was sooo conscious about not hitting her. Then later I noticed a chip anyway! I’m guessing the plug hit her on the way by or something. Augh!

Ahem. Anyway, I received an airbrush for Christmas and have been testing with Golden paints. I used Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the chip since it was relatively small, and sanded it down till it was flush with the rest of the sculpt.

However, I haven’t used an airbrush since college though, and never for detail!

I only need to place some matte black in a small area. I’m terrified that I’l get the black onto the main structure… and that will be a mess.

How do you quarantine a small area off (without producing a hard edge)? I tested a small area with painters’ tape on paper, but when painted it leaves a very definite “lined” patch that looks somewhat stencil-like on top of the old paint. I want it to blend as well as possible into the old paint.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

What color is your mother dragon? Can you show us a photo of the damage? It may be easier and just as effective to use a paintbrush.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

What color is your mother dragon? Can you show us a photo of the damage? It may be easier and just as effective to use a paintbrush.

I am with jenifer, either way, you are gonna have a hard edge. The only other thing I would think is to tape it off to fix the detail, and then after you peel the tape, thin it out some more with medium, and very, very slowly and carefully, layer it to soften and clean up that edge. That’s my advice. I also recommend practicing the same technique on something else before the actual piece to make sure you have it down.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

rachelled
        Participant

Her color is “Plum #1,” the flash makes it seem brown but to the eye the whole area is about the same as the more purple-ish parts of the photo.

Have you filled the actual chip in with epoxy yet, or were you just gonna repaint it? That specific area would probably be better done by hand with a brush.

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

rachelled
          Participant

That’s a photo of the epoxy-filled area.

That’s a photo of the epoxy-filled area.

Its debatable weather i would use an airbrush or paint brush for that. The gold would definitely be brushed though.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

I hand paint all the repairs I do and it works fine. The gold, I’d use a deco pen though.

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Jennifer
              Keymaster

IF you work slowly and carefully with a paintbrush, you will probably get a more nicely blended look than you would with an airbrush, which will have overspray, and anything you do to mask off the overspray is going to leave you with a stenciled look in such tight quarters. There are airbrush artists out there that could do it but they are quite skilled. If you are adept with an airbrush, go for it! Otherwise I advise thinned paint in many careful layers with a paintbrush. Paint the area solid matte black with enough layers to completely cover the white, then approach it with thin!! layers of interference paint to build to the correct color (it’s hard for me to guess what that color might be, from these photos!).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

rachelled
                Participant

I hand paint all the repairs I do and it works fine. The gold, I’d use a deco pen though.

For the gold, I’m lucky enough to have found a gold enamel paint that I have used in Windstone details before – Matches perfectly ๐Ÿ™‚

Sounds like it may be less trouble just to paint the black. Now I have to go paint match the black..! My local art store sells Golden paints, is there a specific Matte Black I should look for?

For the gold, I’m lucky enough to have found a gold enamel paint that I have used in Windstone details before – Matches perfectly ๐Ÿ™‚

Sounds like it may be less trouble just to paint the black. Now I have to go paint match the black..! My local art store sells Golden paints, is there a specific Matte Black I should look for?

if you looking for a matter black, go with bone black. that’s what I would use. And susie is right, I’ve have a lot of practice with tight spots. ๐Ÿ™‚

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

Ah! Man! It’s sad to see any Windstone chipped or damaged but even more sad when it’s a special piece. ๐Ÿ™ For the gold detailing, Windstone uses a special paint pen. I’ve bought one before; they aren’t expensive…but I dont remember the name *smacks forehead*

Kim
                    Blocked

The gold paint pens Windstone uses are DecoColor Liquid Gold Pens. They sent me a couple almost empty ones a while back to touch up some pieces so that’s why I know what they are. I think you can buy them in some stores like art stores or maybe Michael’s. Although when I checked my local Michael’s I couldn’t find those pens in gold so it might depend on the store. If you have a paint that matches the gold closely that can also work but for an exact match for chips it’s probably good to try and get the same paint pen.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.