fbpx

Painting a Blue Roan

Home Forums Miscellany Community Painting a Blue Roan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

Elena
      Participant

Hi guys, I’m working on a rocking horse (pics will be up in the WIP thread as soon as I find the camera cable πŸ™„ ) and have decided to paint her a “Blue Roan” color. I have a bunch of reference pics culled from the net but was wondering is any of you artists have any tips / paint color suggestions? I want her to look good though not too realistic, kinda fairytale-ish but not too fairytale-ish if that makes any sense

Thanks!!! πŸ˜€

Purplecat
        Participant

hmmm….if it’s a large rocking horse….and this is only a suggestion…I’d suggest perhaps doing a dark base coat, of the blue grey shading you’re wanting, then taking white spray paint and “mist” the piece while holding the can way back…so it would leave a mist of flecks…..then you could detail the piece, without having to hand paint each little roan fleck. πŸ™‚

BDW
          Participant

The following artist is very good at roans maybe you could ask her:
            Caroline Boydston
            boydston@verizon.net
            I know the following is a bay roan and you are doing blue but I just wanted you to see πŸ˜‰
            http://whitehorsestudios.net/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=4091

Elena
            Participant

Here she is

She is approx 18″tall, 36″long and 9″wide

Katherine
              Participant

I love rocking horses, and I can’t wait to see it finished! I don’t have any advice or anything…. πŸ˜€

BDW
                Participant

How far along are you on your roan?
                  πŸ˜€

Elena
                  Participant

Pah I got sidetracked and haven’t started yet! πŸ˜› I did however manage to carve 7 of theos fake pumpkins in one day!

BDW
                    Participant

foxfeather wrote:

Pah I got sidetracked and haven’t started yet! πŸ˜› I did however manage to carve 7 of theos fake pumpkins in one day!

Wow! Can we see? Or do we have to go trick or treat’en at your place to see them? πŸ˜†

Blackdesertwind wrote:

foxfeather wrote:

Wow! Can we see? Or do we have to go trick or treat’en at your place to see them? πŸ˜†

I can go trick or treating at her place, well… I’d have to find it first…

Click Please!!

Elena
                      Participant

LOL πŸ˜€ I’d love if you guys came trick treating! We usually only get 12-20 kids depending on the weather

I’ve posted some pics of pumpkins in “foxfeathers fancies”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.