fbpx

Out Door Items

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Out Door Items

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KoishiiKitty
    Participant

I was wondering if you use different spray or paint for your outdoor items like the rock dragons?

I got one of those cheep made in chida hide-a-keys and painted it, then sealed it with what was supposed to be an outdoor sealant as a test. I year later, he is already pealing up. I’m on the hunt for some paints and/or sealant that is some what more durable.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Could it be the plastic itself is the problem?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

KoishiiKitty
        Participant

I had considered this, and it is still possible I think.
          I would think that he would peal all over though. The way it is pealing up is in layers, his clear coat and the top layer of paint, but the under layer still looks good.

I purposely had him out where he would get morning sunlight to see how fast the sun would have an affect on his clear coat and paint,and the way it is pealing is from the top coat down, not from the bottom coat of paint, so I am thinking it is more likely sun exposer.

Elena
          Participant

Hmmm….

Most outdoor type paints I’ve used don’t need a sealer or clear top coat, unless it’s wood and then your more sealing the wood than the paint.

Is it just the sealer that is peeling? or is the paint coming up as well? Is your thing plastic or cement?

Melody
            Keymaster

Yes, we used exactly the same stuff! Acrylic paint sealed with “hydocote”. It is amazingly weather resistant on cement, but it won’t protect gypsum from peeling and dissolving when it is outdoors… was the statue gypsum?

KoishiiKitty
              Participant

The figure I tested is resin. It was a made in china low detail piece. I have a lovely old cement frog I got from my nieghbor, but I love him so much, he is an indoor paper wieght.

It is the clear coat and top layer of paint. Here are some photos.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was him when I first finished painting him.

Melody
                Keymaster

What did you use as a clear coat? I really know nothing about resin coatings so this is a pointless question, but a sealant that will not “breathe” is always trouble when it gets wet.
                  We had to put new siding on our whole house because the paint did this!

KoishiiKitty
                  Participant

That is quite possible, The sealer I used is an ACE brand Polyurethane clear finish. Mostly used for metal and wood projects.

Mmloda
                    Participant

A couple of years ago I painted an rooster for my parents that sits out doors, it was fairly large and I painted him with acrelyc paints as well as nail polish….I also sealer him several times with out door sealant which I picked you at Michaels! I think first I painted on the sealant and once that layer dried I also had it in a spray bottle and I sealed the rooster a few times. It worked for me and the rooser still looks like I just painted him!
                      Maybe if you have a local art supply store in your area you can ask them and hopefully they will be able to help!

Marzena

Grayfire_artz
                      Participant

That actualy is very interesting! Thanks Loda!
                        The only art supply place here is Micheals and unfortunately, it is rare for me to meet artists that actualy work there. Last time I asked about spray paints, they guy had no clue at all. If the Blicks was not so far away, I could ask them there. I’ve enjoyed chatting up thier employees when I do get to go.

I should check for some local artist shops, they might have some info as well.

Grayfire_artz
                        Participant

Tis Koishii, heehee, I am on my sisters account.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.