fbpx

Original Sculptures?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Original Sculptures?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

What happens to the original sculptures? Do you keep the masters, or do you reuse the materials to sculpt more? I’m just imagining a locked vault somewhere with all the master sculptures in case a mold breaks. Maybe with lasers and retina scanners, lol!

Melody
      Keymaster

The rough clay originals usually get kept in a glass fronted case in my studio-office. The intermediate gypsum masters that I worked on are sitting on a table in the middle of the room. The finished masters that molds are made on, are kept in the “mold cave” a walk-in storage area.
        I don’t re-use the sculpting material. Sometimes the original clay sculptures don’t survive the mold making process, so A few did get pitched in the trash.The original sculpts don’t always look that great. They often have patches of wax, or other different materials on them. They are only used to make a gypsum casting that I can carve, so they don’t have to be pretty.

etruscan
        Participant

This question must have prompted Melody to take pictures of the original sculpts. From her Facebook page, “I took a pic of recent clay originals and the table full of intermediate masters I have in my studio. These aren’t that great looking! These are very rough as you can see. I don’t try to finish the original clay sculpts. The details get carved into the gypsum castings that are made from molds taken from these sculpts. Finishing sometimes takes many generations of castings, usually because I keep changing things- notice the heads that are rotated differently on each generation of winged lion-like guys in the front of the second photo. I am so inefficient!”

A few got in this pic that haven’t been produced yet. Maybe someday. I changed the large Oriental dragon considerably between the this original and the finished piece!
          The big green guy in the back is the “Rock dragon”, without his rock., I did detail that clay quite a bit before he was reproduced.

Intermediate masters.

Nightcrow
          Participant

Ooooh, who is the dragon in that second picture next to the Pebble Dragons?? Is that a prototype of the Hearth, or someone new?

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

LZ
            Participant

OUCH!

nohead

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Kim
              Blocked

Ooh, who is the cute little thing on the cougar’s paws in the first photo? Is that a little bear?

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Suzanne-Marie
                Participant

Fascinating!!
                  You are amazing Melody🦋; you are the hardest working person ; you perfect your 2D and 3D and writing; but the end results are absolute and total perfection!!
                  Thank you for your attention to details,for being so nice, and creating such beautiful art so many of us enjoy on a daily basis !!

merrillannwhite
                  Participant

That’s really neat to see! The many iterations are fascinating.

Melody
                    Keymaster

I am not sure what species it is! Maybe a kitty? I think Chessie my daughter made it when she was a little kid… it is very cute, so it lives in the glass case with the other sculpts.

Melody
                      Keymaster

Working on these isn’t always a pretty sight!

dmob
                        Participant

Love them all so much!! Maybe one we can have all of these in our collection.

Bodine
                          Participant

What is the dragon head from,in the back?Pretty cool looking just by itself.
                            Personally I am patiently awaiting the male HEARTH!!Cannot wait to see that bad boy come to life.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Tim
                            Participant

Love all the different lion and lion-like designs there. Lions must have a big spot in your heart!

A lion (or liger) is a man's best friend!

etruscan
                              Participant

Melody says, “We are digging through some storage containers and found the original clay sculpt of the Emperor dragon.
                                I usually carve the details after the sculpt is replicated in gypsum, but this original is unusual because I did put a lot of detail in the clay. It think this is “kritterclay”…or maybe WED, not sure. Both are water clay. He is over one foot tall.”

She also posted a picture of him and says that the eye was added using Photoshop – “I made this eye in photoshop! paint bucket the color, dodging and burning the highlights and shadows.”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.