fbpx

Old Mother Dragon

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Old Mother Dragon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Hi Melody,
    New member here. A couple of members suggested I ask you about my old dragon. I was wondering if you had any background information about this color/edition. She has the signature stamp Pena ’84. I bought her at the Coronado Hotel gift shop in San Diego in July 1985. She has some damage from all the traveling she’s done in the past 20 years, but I didn’t want to risk an amateur attempt at a patch job. You can’t see them in this photo, but her eyes have a larger pupil than the green male dragon that I have in another photo. Anyway, any tidbits of information that you might remember about this style would be wonderful to hear about. Thanks!

[img]

Melody
    Keymaster

Goodness gracious, this dragon is the very oldest I have ever seen, aside from the ones we have in the archive! Someone else has a very old green one similar to this, with the old style eyes, but the lack of blue and lavender spots, and the jewel color makes this one even older!She was probably from the very first batch of thirty six we sold!!
      This dragon has amber glass eyes that were painted with black and metallic gold enamel paint on the back. This is how the eyes were in the very first dragons we sold. We soon found that enamel paint pulls away from the glass (as yours has) after a few years, so we switched to fired-on glass paint.
      I was still feeling around for how I wanted these to look, this was painted before I had really worked out the paint scheme we ended up using for years, with the gold spots and mosaic-like colors on the scales. The paint wa probably chrome green, a very pretty green, but not healthy to airbrush with, we found. I don’t think art stores even sell Chrome greens any more!
      I would like to see the underside, is she stamped?Notice the bubbles in the casting! There should be a seam line on the back. The original castings were done in a two piece mold. We were still pretty clueless about casting! I painted this one myself. Clueless aboout painting as well.
      It will be tricky to retouch this one, because we don’t have the paint anymore.
      It looks as if she is detailed with copper rather than gold.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Wow!!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Bob

she is a part of Windstone History for sure!!!

Melody
          Keymaster

Well, not to be a wet blanket, but there is the remote possibility it could be a fake, though since it was purchased in 1985… nobody would of had time to make fake ones, I wouldn’t think! We had just started selling them.
            Is this dragon heavy? The most convincing fakes were light in weight, made of plastic, and had bulgy plastic eyes with large pupils. The fakes always had blue eyes, as far as I know, so I am still pretty sure this one is real. Could you post more photos?

Bob

VERY KEWL FIND INDEED

Skigod377
              Participant

I sure hope she is not fake. What a great addition to our family if she is real! πŸ˜† And painted my Miss Melody herself!? Awesome!

Its great when you find lettle bits of history right under your nose πŸ˜€

Here’s some more pics. She’s as heavy as my other Windstone dragons. When I bought her, I also bought a hatchling painted in the same color. I couldn’t decide which to buy, so I bought them both. πŸ˜€ I don’t have the hatchling anymore though. I gave it away as a gift. If there had been a male, it may have already been purchased by someone else.

πŸ˜€

Starbreeze
                Participant

What a treasure!!! She looks very happy!!! πŸ˜€

Maria
                  Participant

I really like those eyes and the green hue. It’s cool to see such an old piece!

Skigod377
                    Participant

And still with the price tag! How cool is that!?! πŸ˜€

is this the same mother dragon as the one in the image with all the old animals? it is in another thread. someone was asking about the turtle. i mean, is this painted in the way the dragon in that image is?

Melody
                      Keymaster

gryphondreamer wrote:

is this the same mother dragon as the one in the image with all the old animals? it is in another thread. someone was asking about the turtle. i mean, is this painted in the way the dragon in that image is?

No , the one in the old Windstone pic was painted as one of a kind, with watercolors! I had no clue how to paint these dragons, but we needed a group photo quick, so that it would be printed in time for a gift show..so, I just slopped some paint on that one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.