fbpx

OK NIEBOZ IS UP IN THE GALLERY !!!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone OK NIEBOZ IS UP IN THE GALLERY !!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mmloda
    Participant

Marzena

Mmloda
      Participant

Hey everyone, finally NIEBOZ is up in the Gallery and I took some pics of him on a lighter background. Let me know what you think, if you have any suggestions on how i can make him look better please let me know!!! πŸ˜€

Marzena

Maria
        Participant

Those pictures are much better, mmloda. Some suggestions:
          BLEND! You have to blend those colors. Nieboz would look gorgeous if you could remove the sharp edges on the colors. You have a good design, but the paintbrush strokes shouldn’t show. It takes a lot of work. I just started my first Kirin today – it took me two hours to do the belly scales. Go figure. (I think I am a pretty slow painter, but that number is still a good indication of the time these things need.)
          Secondly, follow the scuplt and the scales. Paint the color all the way into the cracks. It looks much better, more professional.
          I hope this helps. Keep painting!

Mmloda
          Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, if NIEBOZ does not sell on e bay this time around than i will try to repaint him and see how he turnes out the second time around.
            Thanks, i really appreciate your imput.

Marzena

Jennifer
            Keymaster

You are off to a great start! πŸ˜€

I like the patterning you have started on the scales. It reminds me of a deer fawn and their lovely spots! That is a good thing you have going. I think I agree with Greater Basilisk; the blending is what seems to be the rough spot here. Acrylics are hard to blend! I still have a hard time of it and I’ve done dozens of these, so don’t feel bad. There are several methods you can use to blend; one is to get all your paint colors ready (for example, brown and white) and use two different brushes to blend them into each other while they are wet. This is hard to do because acrylic dries fast- some people have had good luck with mixing a acrylic retarder into their paints. This keeps them from drying so fast. I think it’s drag0nfeathers that uses a damp brush to blend one color into another while they are still wet. It just takes some practice and time. I know that a single wing feather on a PYO griffin can take me an hour or more to do.

I noticed you used what looks like some glitter on your kirin for some extra sparkle. This is a neat idea, but sometimes looks a little out of place. You might try a little bit of the Golden Brand interference paint if you’d like. Windstone uses it for the neat shimmery flecks of metallic color in their paint jobs, and many forum members love it as well. It’s a little expensive, but a tiny amount goes a long way. The gold areas of your kirin seem to sport a paint like this already, and look very nice. πŸ™‚

It looks like you got some paint on the eyes of this fellow- but not to worry. You can gently scrape it off with the side of a toothpick or fingernail if you want. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Yea, I was just about to say the same thing as Nam, I like sparkles, don’t get me wrong, but for some reason, on a sculpture as intricate as a Windstone they make the piece look like something you’d find in a discount store. I use them on ceramics for a long time and they worked well, but interference painta are AWESOME. They are like sparkles in a sense, but hey are as small as grains of dust so they shimmer like crazy! They make the piece look “expensive” I love them myself.

Also, antiquing / blending the paint your piece sould also go a long way, but that is a bit advanced for you to just jump in with.

One thing you may want to try first, is very easy to learn and has amazing results is drybrushing. That way you will NEVER struggle with trying to blend paint strokes, you won’t even have to deal with it. Once you get the hang of then, then move to blending since it is harder to do. One thing at a time right? Once you get blending down, I’d move to antiquing.

For drybrishing, EXAMPLE: Paint all the fur one flat color (a dark color) Like for Nieboz I’d paint all the fur the darker brown, all solid. Then let it dry. Take a round, semi stiff brush (a stiffer brush is a must for this, not rock hard, but they need to pop stright back up if you run your finger over the bristles) and dab it into a lighter color paint, like the light beige and swirl the brush on a piece of paper so there is almost no paint left on the brush (this is where the name drybrush comes from) It will seem like it is a dry, dirty brush. Lightly brush against the grain and let the paint slowly appear on top of all the raised areas of fur. It will create a highlighting, shadowy effect that works wonders for beginners.

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Mmloda
                Participant

Wow, those are great ideas thank you, i will for sure try that with my next piece. I think i might have to learn to be a bit more patient when painting and let the paint dry up first on one area before i continue there. πŸ˜€

Marzena

NirvanaCat13
                  Participant

What I noticed in some of the new pictures that I hadn’t before is that you used a thicker paint on the white spots along his rear haunches and it “stood up” as it dried, creating a 3D little peak…I think that is really cool! As it gives the piece a little more depth and character….The trick I think will come with trying to make all the spots uniform in height. Keep at it….and I must second, no glitter =P Invest in some interference paints, or as you progress, some of the multicolored leafing (it’s a pain and takes forever, but you can get some REALLY cool effects!).

also- it doesn’t look like you used a spray sealer on him– if you use a glossy acrylic spray on sealer- it will really make the whole piece pop– it also protects the piece from the paint coming off when handled. It is amazing how much better on of my own paintings looks after being sprayed!

frozendragon
                    Participant

it does look better with the neutral background….

and I agree with the more blending needed…you can get some acrylic thinner from delta…it’s like $1.99

and it makes the acrylics easier to work with and easier to blend…

and as for sealer there are several brush on ones as well as spray…I like brush on ones the best…

Those are better photos. And I agree, more blending would help. I don’t really like the sharpness on the spots. I did ask my bf what he thought and he said that he liked the idea you had, but it did need some work. Practice more and post pics when your done. πŸ˜€

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.