fbpx

North Hollywood CA

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody North Hollywood CA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

Hi Melody and Windstone staff. I know Windstone Editions moved to Oregon, but I’d like to know more about North Hollywood, CA. I will be visiting the area, staying in Burbank, at the end of this month. I will only be in town for 5 days, and I am wondering what things I must see? What should I stay away from? I will be visiting the beach at least one day. And checking out Hollywood too… but I wonder what less well known things there are to see out there. Thanks for your time!

Melody
      Keymaster

In North Hollywood? Nothing I can think of. Watch out for drunk drivers and leave as quickly as you can.

Oh, you mean around that area? Universal studios is an interesting, touristy place, if you like that sort of thing… then in Los Angeles there are some other tourist traps, like Olvera street and what not.
        If you are into architecture, there are some great houses you can visit,( Pasadena area is best for that) but those take some planning and timing to get there when they are open for tours.

Heather
        Participant

Thanks Melody. It sounds like North Hollywood is not the most exciting town to visit. I may go to Universal, and for sure I’ll be checking out some spots around LA. Just wanted to hear from you what the area was like. And I’d love to see some of the architecture in Pasadena… Mainly I can’t wait to get away from cold Chicago for a few days 🙂

Kiya
          Participant

No idea if you’re into Steampunk at all, but Clockwork Couture is in Burbank. http://www.clockworkcouture.com/

Melissa
            Participant

There’s a bit of everything down there, it really depends on what you’re looking for.

They do have some world class museums and as a Northern California resident, it galls me to admit theirs easily match, and are arguably better than ours…

There’s the Getty Center which has a great collection of European art, (free)

Less known, there’s the Getty Villa which is very pretty and has an incredible collection of Greek and Roman art. For less well known stuff, I’d recommend this. (but you need to get a timed ticket in advance) (also free)

Then there’s the La Brea Tarpits with the nearby Page museum. (the Natural History museum is bigger with flashier displays, but the Page museum has a charm of its own, and is like a pilgrimage for nerds)

Then (if you want to get all sort of nerdy) there’s the Sam and Alfreda Maloof Foundation where you can take a tour of the late furniture maker Sam Maloof’s house. They (last I checked) let you touch the furniture, and in their small museum, have a specific chair made by him you can sit in. It’s a pilgrimage for woodworkers, but it’s small, not-flashy, and even though I adored it, I’d only recommend it for woodworkers, people inclined to enjoy a ‘classy cultural educational historic art exhibit’, or people watchers. The people-watchers might even have more fun than the woodworkers, telling apart the very divergent groups of visitors. The difference is the most obvious (and entertaining) when the tour guide swings by the wood storage shed, where the art folks take a polite peek and then wait outside for the tour guide to drag out the woodworkers who would otherwise drool over the completely mindboggling selection of wood for hours.

And then Olvera Street has a lovely Mexican market, and some fairly-priced and tasty restaurants. Touristy, but fun.

Hope this helps.

Heather
              Participant

Thanks for the tips! I really do like Steampunk, so I need to check that store out. And all those places you mentioned, Maplecarver, sound fascinating too. I never heard of that furniture museum. I’m not a woodworker, but it sounds like a really cool place.

Melody
                Keymaster

Of course there are all the great museums in LA. The natural history museum, the science museum and the air and space museum, art museums etc.
                  But there is one you should not miss if you can find it open. The Museum of Jurassic Technology. Highly recommended. http://mjt.org/vistinfo/hours.html

In North Hollywood? Nothing I can think of. Watch out for drunk drivers and leave as quickly as you can.

Oh, you mean around that area? Universal studios is an interesting, touristy place, if you like that sort of thing… then in Los Angeles there are some other tourist traps, like Olvera street and what not.
                  If you are into architecture, there are some great houses you can visit,( Pasadena area is best for that) but those take some planning and timing to get there when they are open for tours.

This cracks me up because, I live in a tourist town, and whenever people ask me what there is to do, I’d say something similar. It’s always more fun if your visiting than when you live somewhere. It is ironic…:)

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                  www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                  Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Gul

It sounds like North Hollywood is not the most exciting town to visit. I may go to Universal, and for sure I’ll be checking out some spots around LA.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.