Next PYO swap

Home Forums Miscellany Swaps Next PYO swap

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

I don’t mind the theme idea, but if it were just a ‘black & white cat’ tuxedo, I think that is too limiting with the size of the pyo swap. If it were tuxedo (take that as you will) or black and white, that can open up quite a few possibilities and would work better. I think slightly broader themes, while they do limit a bit, they also allow for a much broader interpretation/creativity. Of courses I always like working with individual’s requests (like in the past) on pyos, but the occasional theme can be fun and it would be interesting to see how everyone interpreted the theme given.

Hannah
      Participant

Not even sure that I’d be able to do the next swap, but I’d say unless a theme is something that *I* am personally interested in, having a set theme would be a drawback for me in entering a swap. The reason being that if a theme doesn’t interest me, I likely wouldn’t want a piece painted in that theme! In the open swaps, at least we can specify the type of themes that we want and have some control over what we get. I’ve never been a big fan of limiting artistic ideas though ๐Ÿ™ Hope I’m not being too down on this – just wanted to voice what my brains were telling me ๐Ÿ˜‰

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

siberakh1
        Participant

That is a good point Hannah. I was thinking about painting for other people, but not so much about the receiving part. That would be a possibility. If there was a theme someone didn’t care for. they might not sign up based on the theme.

Kim
          Blocked

I agree. What if there were a couple themes though or a choice of some most popular ones and then the people who would want a tuxedo could do tuxedo and anyone who wants to get or do other themes can do those and then whoever is designated to their theme would receive one of the same theme?

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Scathach
            Participant

If I could do the tuxedo black and white theme on a ki-rin I have a killer idea!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m with you on this ๐Ÿ™‚

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
              Participant

I can’t vote, either.

Life is beautiful.

dragonmedley
                Participant

I guess fire could have been limiting, I didn’t mean to be rude if I sounded that way by suggesting other ideas. I was just naming off random things that popped in my head, my apologies. I guess I didn’t fully understand the question.

Nah, that wasn’t rude at all! You’re just throwing ideas around and also showing how one word can mean something totally different from one person to the next. I think fire is also a great theme – and I’d be curious to see how people could stick to it or deviate from it.

This is why I started the thread. I know that depending on the theme, some people might back out, so it’s important that said theme be broad/appealing enough for everyone.

Since I have no idea what to do about the poll, just keep on responding and that will count as the vote.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley
                  Participant

Not even sure that I’d be able to do the next swap, but I’d say unless a theme is something that *I* am personally interested in, having a set theme would be a drawback for me in entering a swap. The reason being that if a theme doesn’t interest me, I likely wouldn’t want a piece painted in that theme! In the open swaps, at least we can specify the type of themes that we want and have some control over what we get. I’ve never been a big fan of limiting artistic ideas though ๐Ÿ™ Hope I’m not being too down on this – just wanted to voice what my brains were telling me ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m thinking that when requesting the sculpt, you could also indicate to your painter something like (sticking with mah tuxedo theme here) : if painting the cat markings, please do not use black and white OR No cat markings OR The Ritz, please!

:quest:

dragonmedley
                    Participant

What if there were a couple themes though or a choice of some most popular ones and then the people who would want a tuxedo could do tuxedo and anyone who wants to get or do other themes can do those and then whoever is designated to their theme would receive one of the same theme?

You can’t have more than one theme – it’s either a theme or none at all. Otherwise, it gets too complicated.

We have until September to figure this out. If need be, we’ll vote to pick one of three – no more than that, otherwise, it’s just too hard to get a consensus.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

That is a good point Hannah. I was thinking about painting for other people, but not so much about the receiving part. That would be a possibility. If there was a theme someone didn’t care for. they might not sign up based on the theme.

That’s a risk… but a theme might also inspire someone who wouldn’t enter otherwise!

I’m not so interested in such a specific theme. Though it is cool to see the different takes on one theme, it may make it limeting to some who prefer to work with different medias, (like the way i use ink and pastels, and im am sure there are others, like those who tea stain) and some schemes may be very difficult to work. Where some things look great in paint, they just don’t fit in other medias.

If one theme was chosen, I think a more broad theme would be better, rather than like “tuxedo” or like “cats” a broader theme that would be more easily adaptable could be like “oceans”, “forest and jungle”, or like “sun and moon” or something.

I mean not every one is a master artist like Melody or Patricia, and it would be not so fair to limit everyone to such a small subject. The experienced may not be able to go for all that detail when your colors are limiting, and the inexperienced, may not have as easy time as others, so subjects kind of have to be careful. I think that is why a broad subject is important, because it can be more easily adapted to different levels.

A wider theme allows for a much wider range of interpretation than something so specific, so we can see many more ideas, and spins on the same idea. This would make it more adaptable and I think, it would make it more even for everyone.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

oh and if the poll is working i cannot see or vote in it

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Falcolf
                        Participant

I’m for tuxedo, so long as it’s open for artistic interpretation.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Lokie
                          Participant

I can understand the concern of members not entering the swap because they don’t want to receive a piece in the set theme chosen, however, I don’t understand the argument that it limits the painters creativity/imagination/choice of materials/etc. anymore than previous swaps. Already, participants can make requests on what sculpt and theme they want painted for themselves. I actually find “tuxedo” to be more broad than some of the themes I’ve seen asked for: sunset, space, a specific animal, and even characters that a member has created or liked. I might be more inclined to join knowing the theme before hand, instead of getting the gamble of a theme I feel absolutely no inspiration for.

Anyways, I’m no help because I’m not sure I would be able to enter the next swap, so I have no vote. I just couldn’t understand the hindering painters discussion.

pony-up
                            Participant

Personally I think the tuxedo theme sounds fun! There are many ways it can be interpreted and it doesn’t have to be traditional black and white. With so many different sculpts to choose from I don’t think we’d end up with any two finished pieces that look at all alike ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.