fbpx

New Stuff

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody New Stuff

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

ddvm wrote:

Thanks for the link, Kyrin!

I just met Christopher Moore at Lunacon and he was great! Also met Tamora Pierce – she was very nice and signed books for me when she wasn’t formally signing. I was afraid to intrude but someone else brought books up and she saw me watching and asked if I wanted books signed!

I’ve also met Suzanne Brockman – she writes romance books about Navy Seals. She is super nice! At the last signing I went to she was having a drive for bone marrow donors to help out a Seal from Spotswood, NJ – he went to the same high school my niece went to. (Turned out he matched with TWO people – I think he got the donation from a woman in Germany.)

And the time I almost passed out from excitement – I met NORA ROBERTS! The In Death is one of my all time favorite series (the Anita Blake series is my other favorite) and I got to meet her, got books signed by her and a picture! I’m such a fan geek!

Yay Anita! Another fan, how cool is that? I have the next book coming as soon as it is out…yay for Amazon gift certs.

I’d like to meet Tanya Huff and a bunch of other writers, though I do have a good friend who is friends with Tanya…said she could hook me up with getting some of my books signed, I am so all over that.

Talking about Tanya, anyone else watching Blood Ties?

Kyrin

laphon1 wrote:

DDVM nice siggy!

I met Suzanne Brockmann two weeks ago. She stopped over in Seattle on her way to Alaska to see her son in a play. Her husband Ed Gaffney was with her. He writes mysteries. They both seemed very down to earth.

Thanks! And THANK YOU, Whippet, for the siggy! I wouldn’t know how to begin to do one.

The thing I really like about Suze Brockmann is she totally supports her son who is gay. She had a 4 page dedication of one of her books to him in which she talks about that she and her husband realized very early on that their son is gay. But it didn’t matter – they love him. (And she has a very popular gay character who is in a bunch of books. She’s always being hounded by fans to give him his own story.) My sister is gay and I’ve met many of her friends who are gay and lesbian. So many of them were disowned by their families for “coming out of the closet” – its heartbreaking. By the time I finished her dedication to her son I was crying. I wish I could remember which book it was…

Jennifer
    Keymaster

I stayed with Misty (Mercedes Lackey) and Larry Dixon for a week, they are really generous people. Misty can seem a little rough around the edges (mouth like a sailor!) but she’s a good person where it counts. They’ve helped a lot of people in their time, including helping folks that have had no place to go in the past, and Larry driving like a madman down to News Orleans during Katrina to help save a lot of folks he either barely knew or didn’t know, and got them places to stay/food/water/etc. They also rehab raptors, wild birds, and parrots. They have good hearts. Misty actually had a fan-turned-stalker, a real one, that came to their house and tried to kill them at one point, so they don’t do cons anymore.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Megan
      Participant

Nambroth wrote:

Misty actually had a fan-turned-stalker, a real one, that came to their house and tried to kill them at one point, so they don’t do cons anymore.

๐Ÿ˜ฏ I don’t think I blame her! Geeze, that makes a lot of sense… “I’m your biggest fan, so I’m gonna stalk and attempt to harm you!”

Glad to know they are such nice people. I love her books (favorite is the Mage Wars).

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Sadly some folks take fictional worlds a little TOO seriously, and things take a really bad turn. There are a lot of people in this world, and some of them are not quite right. ๐Ÿ™

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Pegasi1978
          Participant

Nambroth wrote:

Misty actually had a fan-turned-stalker, a real one, that came to their house and tried to kill them at one point, so they don’t do cons anymore.

I’d always wondered what happened. She hinted at things in some articles on her Web site and the Ask Misty section, but never came out and said what happened exactly. (I think…it’s been a while since I read through them so I could be wrong.)

Jodi
            Participant

I’m glad to hear that Mercedes Lackey is a nice person. She must have been having an off weekend then, so I’m glad I didn’t say more. Everybody has bad days or weeks, so I won’t hold it against her.

Larry was great, however, and seems like a real gem.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

emerald212 wrote:

I’m glad to hear that Mercedes Lackey is a nice person. She must have been having an off weekend then, so I’m glad I didn’t say more. Everybody has bad days or weeks, so I won’t hold it against her.

Larry was great, however, and seems like a real gem.

I’ve been around Larry more than Misty and I can say that from my experience he’s just one of the best people I know! ๐Ÿ˜€

Melody
                Keymaster

I’ll second that!

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Not to mention he’s hilarious. ๐Ÿ˜†

laphon1
                    Participant

ddvm wrote:

Quote:

The thing I really like about Suze Brockmann is she totally supports her son who is gay. She had a 4 page dedication of one of her books to him in which she talks about that she and her husband realized very early on that their son is gay. But it didn’t matter – they love him. (And she has a very popular gay character who is in a bunch of books. She’s always being hounded by fans to give him his own story.) My sister is gay and I’ve met many of her friends who are gay and lesbian. So many of them were disowned by their families for “coming out of the closet” – its heartbreaking. By the time I finished her dedication to her son I was crying. I wish I could remember which book it was…

DDVM The book you want is “Hot Target”. Her latest book, which comes out later this year, features Jules Cassidy, the gay character you mentioned, in another sub-plot. I have to admit I’m rooting for him to get his own book, too!

Thanks! Couldn’t remember which book that was…

I love Jules. It would be great if he got his own book but so far main stream romances are still man/woman. I know some of the erotica (especially Ellora’s Cave) are doing man/man.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.