fbpx

New Peacock Griffen finished!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone New Peacock Griffen finished!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I’ve been staring at a picture of a black-shouldered peacock wanting to make him into a griffen for so long, I finally caved and used my last griffen to make him. There’s a ton of interference paint and Pearl ex used on him, and copper/lime green eyes that really reflect light, and I really like him (he’s much prettier, and iridescent in person), so I havent’ decided yet wether to put him up on ebay or keep him.

Anyways, here he is. No name yet. Any suggestions?

He’s not quite as “smurfy” blue as he looks, more of a deeper blue with lighter blue and green interference all over. The green on his wings are very iridescent.

Mmloda
    Participant

Welcome.. πŸ™‚
      He looks cool…I realy like his wings… πŸ˜‰
      Where did you get those eyes for him…I LOVE them… πŸ™‚

Marzena

Mmloda
      Participant

Welcome… πŸ™‚

Marzena

mmloda wrote:

Welcome.. πŸ™‚

Thanks, I do my own eyes for a lot of my sculptures and puppets and things, so this is one of my custom painted pairs. It’s very fun and terribly frustrating painting them some times, but I can’t always find the type of eye I want. And it’s uncanny how reflective that green is in person! The watered-down version of that green is the color I used for his wing feathers.

I’m getting ready to do a bunch of ball python eyes for a sculpt/cast of one I’m working on now. They’ll be really tricky. I’m so excited. πŸ˜€

Mmloda
        Participant

The bull python eyes sound interesting…can’t wait to see them… πŸ˜‰

Marzena

Amanda
          Participant

Oh he’s very cute! Those eyes look really neat!

PurpleTurtle
            Participant

Those eyes are really neat! Nice griffy, by the way πŸ˜€ . I love his colors and the shinyness of him πŸ˜‰ .

Stephanie
              Participant

He looks fantastic!

Maria
                Participant

I like his primary feathers.

mmloda wrote:

The bull python eyes sound interesting…can’t wait to see them… πŸ˜‰

I posted pictures of the snake sculpts I’m doing in the Art Discussion thread. I had to photoshop the eyes in (waiting on my blank eyes to arrive), but the real eyes will look pretty close to them. There’ll be 10 different colors I’ll be offering- some of them are really neat; red pupil with dark blue iris for example. The plain old eyes are goldish across the top, and black across the bottom. Black cat-style slit pupil.

Where do you buy your blank eyes from if you don’t mind me asking? And what do you paint them with? Acrylics? I’m always confused how the paint on any glass eye is indestructable (not that I try to remove the paint, just from life’s wear and tear trying to take out and put back in the PYO ones).

Nuke wrote:

Where do you buy your blank eyes from if you don’t mind me asking? And what do you paint them with? Acrylics? I’m always confused how the paint on any glass eye is indestructable (not that I try to remove the paint, just from life’s wear and tear trying to take out and put back in the PYO ones).

There are several places you can buy them online; ebay (though i can normally only find round pupil ones meant for teddy bears and such), and there’s probably 4 different taxidermy sites online you can buy them from. I’m not sure who is the cheapest, I’ve just always stuck with Van Dykes (owned by Cabela’s I think) for mine. Paints made for glass would probably work better, but I use acrylics, and no they’re not indestructable- water or glue make them soft, and once you glue them in I wouldn’t pop them back out cause you’re likely to rip the paint off entirely.

The Windstone I think uses enamel-backed eyes, which is sort of fired on, and they’re a LOT more user friendly and lasting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.