fbpx

New horse! Pics on 2!

Home Forums Miscellany Community New horse! Pics on 2!

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Starbreeze
    Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Well, I think we’ve settled on Nar/Naree. (Naree was my mom’s suggestion instead of Narelle) I almost went with Sahara, but to me that would be an Arabian or at least a sorrel and she’s still such a shaggy beast! πŸ˜†

We took her to the vet on Wed for her checkup… (supposed to be prepurchase visit)
      The last time I bought a horse, he was supposed to be 17 and turned out to be 25; this time she was supposed to be 10 (as of this summer) and when the vet looked at her teeth he said, “There’s no way she’s 10.” She’s closer to 6! And she’s completely green! The vet said she just doesn’t know anything (including having feet picked up, and stuff like that). The vet said to treat her like a green 3 year old. Better than finding out she’s 10 years older. πŸ˜† Our best guess is that she really was just a brood mare to the guy that owned her originally. Thankfully, she’s at her real home now, and she’ll learn what it is to be loved for herself and not just her genes.

Great news on her age and since she’s green, you get to train her your way. πŸ˜‰

Lokie
      Participant

Congratulations, that horse is beautiful πŸ™‚

Well, at least she’s younger instead of older.

Kyrin wrote:

boskydragon wrote:

Well, I think we’ve settled on Nar/Naree. (Naree was my mom’s suggestion instead of Narelle) I almost went with Sahara, but to me that would be an Arabian or at least a sorrel and she’s still such a shaggy beast! πŸ˜†

We took her to the vet on Wed for her checkup… (supposed to be prepurchase visit)
        The last time I bought a horse, he was supposed to be 17 and turned out to be 25; this time she was supposed to be 10 (as of this summer) and when the vet looked at her teeth he said, “There’s no way she’s 10.” She’s closer to 6! And she’s completely green! The vet said she just doesn’t know anything (including having feet picked up, and stuff like that). The vet said to treat her like a green 3 year old. Better than finding out she’s 10 years older. πŸ˜† Our best guess is that she really was just a brood mare to the guy that owned her originally. Thankfully, she’s at her real home now, and she’ll learn what it is to be loved for herself and not just her genes.

Oh, cool, now we both have young horses we have to train! LOL!

Kyrin

Ironically, if she’d been advertised honestly, I wouldn’t have even looked at her; but, she’s so sweet and deserves someone who will work with her. It took a few days for her to even get used to someone brushing her left side… she would startle & shy (my aunt says that’s likely where she was punished/poked); now she’s realizing that brushing is a good thing. We’re going to get over one thing at a time. She already watches me and calls out when she sees me and hasn’t made a nipping motion in days πŸ™‚ At first I felt I wasn’t up to training a horse, but everyday when Ryan naps I have my hour to spend with her and she’s just improving so fast. She loves the pasture too… though she really grazes (T didn’t so much) and I’m afraid that it’ll be all dirt before long. πŸ™„

Ah! You settled on a name before I could remember the one I forgot to put in my list which was:

Sandpiper

And, yes! My white adult dragon is named Temeraire and HE is grown up, gorgeous and gentle, clean and mellow- like an angel πŸ™‚

boskydragon wrote:

Kyrin wrote:

boskydragon wrote:

Oh, cool, now we both have young horses we have to train! LOL!

Kyrin

Ironically, if she’d been advertised honestly, I wouldn’t have even looked at her; but, she’s so sweet and deserves someone who will work with her. It took a few days for her to even get used to someone brushing her left side… she would startle & shy (my aunt says that’s likely where she was punished/poked); now she’s realizing that brushing is a good thing. We’re going to get over one thing at a time. She already watches me and calls out when she sees me and hasn’t made a nipping motion in days πŸ™‚ At first I felt I wasn’t up to training a horse, but everyday when Ryan naps I have my hour to spend with her and she’s just improving so fast. She loves the pasture too… though she really grazes (T didn’t so much) and I’m afraid that it’ll be all dirt before long. πŸ™„

Yeah, my guys have been rapidly making short work of the grass that was out there, not that there was much. Add in all the galloping around trying to avoid getting caught, and it is quickly becoming a dust bowl. πŸ™‚ Both of my youngsters think being haltered and brushed is some kind of terrible torture. I look forward to them acting more like my old man someday, he comes running…”Yay, it’s Mommy!..Pet me, brush me, let’s do stuff.”

My mare is kinda panicky about any kind of touching beyond her head and neck, but she’s getting better. Poor thing must have had it rough. I am hoping that as she grows to trust me more things will get better.

The red gelding actually has a great personality when he isn’t running loose, once haltered he is all business, but oy, catching him is a PITA!

Kyrin

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.