fbpx

New Animals?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody New Animals?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

WolfenMachine wrote:

Melody wrote:

I want to hear what people want! It helps me decide what to do next.I am cosidering a raven something, hippocampus pyo, cat pyo.. I’d love to do a sphynx or two, but I don’t get very positive reactions to the ones I have done.. people haven’t started collecting them yet, I guess. I love sphynxes.

RAVENS!!!!! With spectral eyes and jewlery like the griffins ^_^

Oyez. I-d go for that too.

Melody
      Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

A chimera candlelamp. Ooh, I-d buy one in a heartbeat. And as many basilisks as she can come up with, too. πŸ˜€

What does a Chimera look like? I picture it as a lion like thing with a human face like a sphynx, but with a snake for tail or a scorpion’s tail.
        What does a basilisk look like?
        I know I could look it up, but I want to know what you picture it looking like.

wolflodge100
        Participant

I would love a winged fox!!!

Maria
          Participant

I described my view of a basilisk on the last page. Sorry I can-t actually give you a sketch, but I-m not on my own computer right now.
            A chimera – for me, a chimera has a lion-s, a goat-s and a dragon-s head, and snake as a tail. But a scorpion tail would be cool, too. Mythologically it-s described as being lion in front, goat in the middle and dragon behind, which I don-t think is quite interesting enough.
            Could you do something with that? *hope hope*

Jodi
            Participant

Melody wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

A chimera candlelamp. Ooh, I-d buy one in a heartbeat. And as many basilisks as she can come up with, too. πŸ˜€

What does a Chimera look like? I picture it as a lion like thing with a human face like a sphynx, but with a snake for tail or a scorpion’s tail.

What you described for a chimera is actually a manticore. A chimera has a body, but with three heads on long necks. One head is a dragon’s head, one is a goat’s head, and the other is a lion head. It has wings. Sometimes the body is the lion’s, sometimes it’s the goat’s, etc. or it can be a combination of all three. The wings are bat-like.

Here’s a photo from Wizards of the Coast:

Melody
              Keymaster

emerald212 wrote:

Melody wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

What you described for a chimera is actually a manticore. A chimera has a body, but with three heads on long necks. One head is a dragon’s head, one is a goat’s head, and the other is a lion head. It has wings. Sometimes the body is the lion’s, sometimes it’s the goat’s, etc. or it can be a combination of all three. The wings are bat-like.

Here’s a photo from Wizards of the Coast:

Oh right, duh, I should know that! I think chimeras are kinda creepy.I am not into multi heads.

Melody
                Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I described my view of a basilisk on the last page. Sorry I can-t actually give you a sketch, but I-m not on my own computer right now.
                  A chimera – for me, a chimera has a lion-s, a goat-s and a dragon-s head, and snake as a tail. But a scorpion tail would be cool, too. Mythologically it-s described as being lion in front, goat in the middle and dragon behind, which I don-t think is quite interesting enough.

Are a basilisk and a cockatrice the same thing? I thought a basilisk was a more reptile-like thing.(Harry Potter visuals)
                  Chimeras seem so … crabby.

frozendragon
                  Participant

Melody wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

I know you have a lot to do already, Melody, but I was wondering if you are thinking about any new animals in candlelamps or otherwise?

I collect bunnies, and Dexter and Fletcher are next on my list, but it would be nice to see some that weren’t candlelamps… or a circle of bunnies candlelamp. That would be cool.

Also, I know a lot of people that like elephants, so have you ever thought about elephant anythings? I know I could probably sell them as a dealer.

Or weird, mixed up creatures, like chimeras or jabberwockies? Those would probably go well at conventions too.

Ooo ooo, or a fox.OOH, a winged fox? hmmm…
                    I never considered elephants because there is, or was, another company that specialized in them.It was called.. uh.. Peaceful Kingdom??… I think…or something like that. (not Harmony kingdom) They were really nice elephants.I try to stick to fantasy, except for when I don’t.
                    Thanks for the suggeswtions!
                    I want to hear what people want! It helps me decide what to do next.I am cosidering a raven something, hippocampus pyo, cat pyo.. I’d love to do a sphynx or two, but I don’t get very positive reactions to the ones I have done.. people haven’t started collecting them yet, I guess. I love sphynxes.

Oh see…I would love a sphynx…but I’m not really into that whole King Tut head dress thing….

of course what’s in my head is probably reall hard to do on a sculpt…hehe

but I’d buy one…especially if it was a PYO…

Jodi
                    Participant

Melody wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Are a basilisk and a cockatrice the same thing? I thought a basilisk was a more reptile-like thing.(Harry Potter visuals) Chimeras seem so … crabby.

Cockatrice is a lizard/rooster mix. A basilisk is more like a lizard. I think it would be hard to tell them from a dragon, personally, except they don’t have wings, I don’t think. But then they just look like a big lizard. The Harry Potter one was just a big snake. It’s the ability to turn people to stone that differentiates them, and I don’t think you’ll be able to capture that difference in a statue.

However, a jabberwocky is something that is totally in the mind of the creator. It is a mix of animals like the muse, but bigger. So a lion body, wolf’s head, dragon wings, snake head for a tale, etc. It would be up to you, Melody. You could go crazy with it. And you could make different ones.

Tiffany
                      Participant

melody, here is one of the original renderings of a chimera.. this is a real ancient, famous one you can find better pics of in “art through the ages”, the classic art history book, you may have it…. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Museo_archeologico_di_Firenze%2C_La_chimera_d%27arezzo_08.JPG
                        hope the link works.. this piece is a beauty. the goat head is coming out of the back and facing the other way so you can’t see him.
                        heres another. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chimera_Apulia_Louvre_K362.jpg
                        i always like to refer to the old renderings of critters so they are true to themselves, as close as they can be to when the were first recorded/created, not reinterpreted and distorted by more recent “artists”, especially modern slop sci-fi “artists” in chintzy resin sculpts, etc.
                        a great read is “the book of fabulous beasts” (a treasury of writings from ancient times to the present) …it does what it says- it has writings from the original mention of whatever given mythical creature and some real ones, along with who, where and how the descriptions changed over the years til present. it has pics too to back up what they are talking about. its a great reference point if you want something physical. πŸ™‚

frozendragon
                        Participant

tfsculptures wrote:

melody, here is one of the original renderings of a chimera.. this is a real ancient, famous one you can find better pics of in “art through the ages”, the classic art history book, you may have it…. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Museo_archeologico_di_Firenze%2C_La_chimera_d%27arezzo_08.JPG
                          hope the link works.. this piece is a beauty. the goat head is coming out of the back and facing the other way so you can’t see him.
                          heres another. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chimera_Apulia_Louvre_K362.jpg
                          i always like to refer to the old renderings of critters so they are true to themselves, as close as they can be to when the were first recorded/created, not reinterpreted and distorted by more recent “artists”, especially modern slop sci-fi “artists” in chintzy resin sculpts, etc.
                          a great read is “the book of fabulous beasts” (a treasury of writings from ancient times to the present) …it does what it says- it has writings from the original mention of whatever given mythical creature and some real ones, along with who, where and how the descriptions changed over the years til present. it has pics too to back up what they are talking about. its a great reference point if you want something physical. πŸ™‚

the second one is closer to what I’ve seen…but the ones I’ve seen don’t have the goat head…but I can’t seem to find the pics now… πŸ™„

Jodi
                          Participant

Either way, a chimera is more of a monster, and not much of a pet. I forgot about that part. Of course, we would want the Windstones to be more like pets than monsters or something else that’s scarey. I think that was Melody’s point about chimera’s being too crabby. Or course, cockatrice and basilisks are too then.

Back to the circle of bunny candlelamp then. πŸ™‚

Tiffany
                            Participant

well, i gave these examples cuz these are real ancient ones, around from when they were first spoken of and they way they were intended. hesiod wrote in 700 b.c. of the chimera in the book “theogony, the precepts of chiron”… she was born of titans ceto and phorcys….
                              ” she was the mother of chimera who breathed raging fire, a creature fearful, great , swift footed and strong, who had three heads, one of a grim eyed lion, another of a goat, and another of a snake, a fierce dragon; in her forepart she was a lion; in her hindpart, a dragon; and in her middle a goat, breathing forth a fearful blast of blazing fire.” thats what i had in my book here. they stated he referenced homers description of the chimera from the “iliad”.

Tiffany
                              Participant

definitely a fearsome beast, not a snuggly windstone family member! she’d make toast of the griffin chicks! awwwwwww! lol!
                                that is so funny, your photo of that persons’ chimera, so totally wierd with dragon wings and that skull like, horned face etc. where the heck did that person pull that from!? lol!they must have taken a very loose interpretation of the term chimera as just a combo of critters…lol.
                                hmm, a bunny ring would be cute.. throw a couple of little lops and dwarfs in there for variety… but would it sell? how popular were the bunny lamps in general as an indicator? there are always cat people, but there is a bit of cat stuff already. a circle of horses candlelamp would be cool, as peeps in general love horseys, plus horsepeeps have money to spend since they have horses! well, at least some of em! think of it , three pretty horseys circled round the fire..only problem would be casting those long faces, they couldn’t look down at all, lest you get air bubbles in their muzzles, if you could get the faces to cast at all! lol! anyhoo, the positioning of their faces could be tricky, but very pretty if you could pull it off!

Andrea
                                Participant

How about a jackalope? That’ll get the bunny fix and it’s not a real animal. Circle of jackalpes πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.