fbpx

Nervous while I wait for my first PYO kirin

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Nervous while I wait for my first PYO kirin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blight
    Participant

My kirin hasn’t arrived yet but I’m very nervous, but still very excited to start work on her.

Several questions have been going through my mind, and the most frightening one is how do I protect the gold-plated horn during the painting process? How does everyone else deal with this problem?

PurpleTurtle
      Participant

Interestingly enough, I don’t usually put anything on the horn at all to protect it. I just carefully scrap the paint off it when I’m done painting it. I usually damp it down with a wet brush. I don’t recommend this technique, but as of yet I personally haven’t had any issues.
        But when I spay the completed PYO with the clear coat I do use painters tape on the horn. The clear coat can dull the luster of the horn (and the eyes – if they are already in place). Be careful if use tape. Make sure it’s not too sticky. It can leave residue or worse yet, peel the thin gold plating off.

Hannah
        Participant

I use simple saran wrap on all of my horns. It won’t stick to the gold when you peel it off, and if it keeps coming unravelled you can use a tiny piece of tape to keep it in place. It works great for me!

Just be sure if you use tape or wrap of any sort that you don’t get any sticking on the base of the horn – if you accidentally paint over it and you peel it off qucikly, it can take some paint with it!

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Blight
          Participant

I’ve seen some painters tape around so I’ll definitely take a look at that alternative. Thanks!

Blight
            Participant

Cool. Thank you very much 🙂 Once I can get stuck into painting my kirin and post the results, I’ll remember to have a review about the horn issue.

PurpleTurtle
              Participant

I use simple saran wrap on all of my horns. It won’t stick to the gold when you peel it off, and if it keeps coming unravelled you can use a tiny piece of tape to keep it in place. It works great for me!

Just be sure if you use tape or wrap of any sort that you don’t get any sticking on the base of the horn – if you accidentally paint over it and you peel it off qucikly, it can take some paint with it!

That’s a good idea, Hannah :bigsmile: . I’m going to try that when I paint my next kirin.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Hey, that plastic wrap idea is a great one!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.