Need some help with ddvm's collection

Home Forums Miscellany Community Need some help with ddvm's collection

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Hey everybody,
    My name’s Pete. ddvm (Pam Duddy) was my girlfriend’s aunt and I’m currently trying to help the family by starting to sell her Windstone collection. I wasn’t sure where to start but after checking these forums and seeing how many friends she had here, it seemed like a good place to start.

At the moment I only have a portion of her collection but we have a total of over 500 statues that need to be sold and, to be honest, its a little overwhelming. I’d imagine that I wouldn’t be able to sell them here. I definitely don’t want to take away from the website’s sales but I’m also reluctant about just throwing them on ebay because I know how special they are.

Any advice you all may have for me would be great.

Kelsey
    Participant

I would use the classified section on this forum. Let members bid on them here. It would save you money over listing on eBay.

Kiya
      Participant

It’s okay to sell here in the classified ads or ebay (ebay has the advantage that people have to pay and pay all at once.) If you don’t want to deal with taking bids on 500 items through PM, it may be easier for you to use ebay – yes they have fees, but it’s safer and simpler in a lot of ways too. 🙂

I’d suggest doing some research on recent ebay sales, in the store, and on Ravenheart to see how much things have sold for in the past (http://ravnheart.com/windstone/index.php).

You can also use Astral Castle’s Windstone data base to help identify pieces – http://astralcastle.com/windstone/wsframe.htm

However, don’t go off the retail values on the production pieces from when they were originally sold – a lot of them have gone up in value so Astral Castle isn’t really good for valuing the pieces.

Once you know what you have, you’ll have an easier time figuring out the best way to sell.

Many of the forum members may be able to help you price/identify pieces, but I’d recommend checking dragonmedley’s feedback list to make sure you know who you’re dealing with – http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedback%20lists.htm

If she has time, Jennifer might be a good resource to help you with identifying pieces and such as well. I know she and Pam were friends and she’s very trustworthy.

Good luck!

Setsunawolf
        Participant

Also feel free to ask if you are uncertain what the piece is or what might be a fair price for it. You might just start listing a few pieces at at time to limit the pms.

Personally, I would try to sell the pieces here 1st. Pam had lots of ebay pieces that I know are on people’s grail lists. You would make someone very happy, and save the fees of ebay. Asking Jen for help is also another really good idea.

If you choose to go the ebay route be sure to post the links to the auctions on the forum, so people know what to look for.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
          Sun Dragon Koi #3

littleironhorse
          Participant

Also, whichever route you decide to take, please do make sure to read this packing tutorial: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Safely-Packaging-Windstone-Editions-for-Shipping-/10000000014669952/g.html

These pieces may seem sturdy, but they chip very easily and it’s a heartbreak for the buyer to get a damaged piece.

Thanks so much everybody. And I know at first Jennifer asked that you not ask the family for specific pieces and we appreciate the time to kind of wrap our heads around the entire situation. But if there are any “grail pieces” you were looking for, please PM me. I’m sure that, more than anything, Pam would want the pieces to go to someone who would appreciate them as much as she did. It might take a little while to find specific pieces but I’ll do my best.

For anyone who is interested, the money we receive from these pieces will go back into the estate and into trust funds she set up for children of the family and children of her close friends for college.

siberakh1
            Participant

I think most people have no idea what Pam owned, save for anything she may have mentioned, if a forum member who has been on the forum longer remembers a particular ebay auction, or if someone has had a transaction with Pam and remembers. It might help to get a list together of what pieces she had. With a list, it will also help anyone assisting with pricing to help put that together, and then adjust pricing for condition (mint, box or no box, COA is missing, etc.) from there. Five hundred pieces is A LOT and very daunting! The ebay pieces, other than signatures or (if available) COAs, will usually have the name of the piece on it. Production pieces won’t have that though. The Windstone website or the Astral Castle site will help with figuring out the colors and sculpts. Pictures will help with anything that is in question as to what it is.

The Ravnheart database hasn’t been added to in at least 2 years, maybe 3? So some items may not be on there. At least some of the older special ebay pieces should be on there though.

Astral Castle’s Windstone Encyclopedia:
              http://www.astralcastle.com/windstone/wsframe.htm

Just looking through the Windstone webstore should help regarding getting most sculpts:
              http://windstoneeditions.com/catalog

Any older sculpts, or special sculpts that might not have appeared on store items may not appear, but photos to someone will help solve any questions you might have. 🙂

I hope that helps!

Setsunawolf
              Participant

Watch for signatures on the bottom. I bought a few of Pam’s pieces from Jennifer, and their COAs had been lost or misplaced. So you probably have eBay pieces w/o COAs. If you happen to come across any COAs from Jennifer Miller’s pieces, I bet the people who bought them would LOVE to have them. I know I would.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Hi Pete,

Pam was a trusted friend of mine and in her memory I’d be happy to help you identify and guide you toward fair prices on her collection. I’m not an “expert” but I have worked with, and for, Windstone for many years. I do not know the extent of what Pam had, but I do know she has MANY special, one of a kind, and valuable items and some of these might indeed have more than one person wanting them. If you would like, lease feel free to contact me via PM, or, email will be faster for me to respond to and keep track of if you prefer: nambroth@gmail.com

I can’t help you with eBay if you list there, but I can help you list items here if you decide to list them on our classifieds section.

If you want me to help I promise no conflict of interest, as I could not possibly afford to collect at this point and in truth sold off/donated the money from the pieces Pam had sent to me after she passed.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

I’d defiantly be glad to help identify as well and give my opinions on prices. Agreed on the fact that most people don’t know what she had. I don’t remember any posts she’d ever make showing off what she just bought. If she has any oriental dragons or old warriors, I’m interested 😉

violetwerewolf(at)gmail(dot)com if you want some help identifying. You could send a picture with multiple pieces and I could type onto the picture what they are if that helps. I’ve been around since the beginning and remember most of the old pieces. The smaller pieces I don’t collect as much so I dodn’t pay them as much attention but the bigger pieces I remember well.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Pam was a good friend of mine. I actually have a few pieces she practically gifted to me when she was reaching near the end of her life which was taken far far too soon. I think of her often. She was a good person to say the least and im sure im not the only one in this community who misses her love and laughter.

Im also as happy to help in any way I can. Im somewhat familiar with her collection but first and foremost Jennifer will more then likely be the best go to person to be honest. I don’t think Pam held anyone in her heart quite as dearly as Jennifer as far as this forum goes. I can also vouch her knowledge of the Windstone Editions sculptures she will certainly know the value of each individual piece and I do explicitly recall when she auctioned several pieces in donation of her memory by having several trees planted.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Rachel
                      Participant

What a huge task. I also recommend getting help from those who have offered it here. What might be helpful is to set up a Google document/spreadsheet (or similar sharable document/spreadsheet) with those who are helping. Photograph the pieces and send them numbered pics. They could then fill in the information and approximate value for each picture in the spreadsheet. That way, several people could be helping at the same time.

Good luck, and thank you for helping out ddvm’s family. She was cherished here, and I’m sure she was very cherished by her family, as well.

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

The ad looks great! ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin
                          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Skigod377
                          Participant

Classified section is an option, but honestly, Ebay would be a much easier option… no having to worry about PM’s, offers, people changing their minds. With such a large collection, I recommend Ebay, unless you don’t mind selling slowly. Also, Ebay will open the pieces up to more people. There are lots of folks here that can help, though, and I will also offer any assistance I can provide. I only knew Pam on the forums, but she was one of my favorites.

etruscan
                            Participant

Wow – that is quite a list! Probably ebay is the best option, though it would be good to spread out the sales so people can afford to buy pieces they want. I’m sure most of those pieces would bring a lot more than their original sale prices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.