fbpx

Need Help with Jewel Slot

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Need Help with Jewel Slot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone. I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else, but I encountered a problem with a PYO Father Foo Dog. I kept meaning to post about this, but time just kept getting away from me. As you can see in the photo, there are two grooves in the center jewel slot. And the hole is bigger than the side ones (although I’m not sure if that’s normal). Anyone have any ideas what items/techniques I can use to make the jewel sit flat?

Melissa
    Participant

Hi Valdata,

It won’t be a cakewalk, but because gypsum is soft, if you can find a very small sharp steel blade that lets you get the right angle, you can carefully carve it down till it fits.

A hobby store should have something, but in a pinch, a pocketknife or a small cheap screwdriver ground down to a chisel point might work. A quick and dirty sharpening method if needed, is to sand each flat side of the blade with extremely fine sandpaper. (a sharp edge is nothing more than the meeting point between two polished surfaces)

Just take off tiny bits the width of a hair at a time, testing the jewel for fit as you go. The blade’s sharpness should do all the work. If it’s sharp enough to handle safely and accurately, it should take absolutely no muscle or force whatsoever, and leave behind a slightly shiny surface.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes. 🙂

Ela_Hara
      Participant

Xacto has a straight chisel tool and also makes a complete set of carving tools, which you may be able to get individually. You could also check through the wood carving tools or perhaps the some modeling tools in the ceramic or painting sections, at a Michael’s or another art/craft store, that may be useful.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Prezaurian
        Participant

I’ve encountered that exact problem too (very recently), I managed to somehow tap the gem into place. It did NOT want to sit flat and it was quite frustrating. The way I solved my problem might be a bit annoying, but I’ll mention it anyways.

I put a drop of white glue into the grooves to fill them up. Let it congeal a bit, then placed the gem in. The problem with this is that you can end up with glue seeping up and getting on top of the gem. Ugh! Had to pop the gem out a few times to clean it, then start over and tap it into place. It was a delicate process, but fortunately white glue is easy to clean off if something goes wrong.

A possible alternative if you don’t feel comfortable using sharp tools to trim the sculpture. Good luck!

I havn’t put the gem in my commision yet as I have only base coated it, but I noticed the same grooves in the father foo i have.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
          www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
          Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Thank you all so much for the replies. I have some model clay and I think I might try the glue technique with that first. See if I can fill up the gap a bit and form an even area.

Melody
          Keymaster

The small divot in the back of the jewel hole fits the pointy part of the jewel. I left room for glue, so the glue doesn’t squirt out around the jewel when you put it in.
            I’ll have to fix that on the master. I’ll make the hole fit more closely so the jewel is easier to put in.

made me go check how mine fit. It fits, but just barely. I think I will carve it larger to make sure it sets right. it sits just above the middle, so it is slightly off. Thanks melody for all the work you put into these. I don’t really care if we have to ajust them a little bit. I love them all the same. 😀

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
            www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
            Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

fatalbeauty
            Participant

when I painted a male about a week or two ago, I didn’t have problems with the stones fitting but one just kept trying to fall out during the glue drying process, I kept having to poke it back in a few times then it finally stayed….

4 things I'm looking for:
              1. Mother Meerkat
              2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
              3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
              4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

The small divot in the back of the jewel hole fits the pointy part of the jewel. I left room for glue, so the glue doesn’t squirt out around the jewel when you put it in.
              I’ll have to fix that on the master. I’ll make the hole fit more closely so the jewel is easier to put in.

My problem is stemming more from me having two jewel holes, neither which are truly centered. I’m adding another picture to my original post showing the gap (which I guess stretched a little from the second jewel slot being formed). It’s not that big of a difference, so it should be an easy fix.

Melody
              Keymaster

My problem is stemming more from me having two jewel holes, neither which are truly centered. I’m adding another picture to my original post showing the gap (which I guess stretched a little from the second jewel slot being formed). It’s not that big of a difference, so it should be an easy fix.

It shouldn’t have a gap, is that the right jewel? looks like you should have gotten a larger jewel size.

Kim
                Blocked

Probably clay or apoxy sculpt or dry wall putty would fill a hole and gap.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Prezaurian
                  Participant

I’ve encountered that exact problem too (very recently), I managed to somehow tap the gem into place. It did NOT want to sit flat and it was quite frustrating. The way I solved my problem might be a bit annoying, but I’ll mention it anyways.

I put a drop of white glue into the grooves to fill them up. Let it congeal a bit, then placed the gem in. The problem with this is that you can end up with glue seeping up and getting on top of the gem. Ugh! Had to pop the gem out a few times to clean it, then start over and tap it into place. It was a delicate process, but fortunately white glue is easy to clean off if something goes wrong.

A possible alternative if you don’t feel comfortable using sharp tools to trim the sculpture. Good luck!

Thank you for the additional pictures! Okay…hmm. Not exactly the problem I had, similar but not exact (I didn’t understand the scope, I’m sorry!). My gem did not want to sit flat, true. But it also did not have the same significant gap your seems to have. Perhaps you have the problem Melody suggested? Maybe it’s not the correct gem size? Glue might still work, but I’d check gem size too.

All three jewels were the same size, which I think is correct, since the jewels fit in the side ones fine. And those were the only one in the package. The gap isn’t as bad as it looks when you fiddle with it. It tilts to create the larger gap b/c it won’t sit flat, I think. I filled it in with some paper clay, now I’m waiting for it to dry. It’s looking pretty good, though.

Prezaurian
                    Participant

All three jewels were the same size, which I think is correct, since the jewels fit in the side ones fine. And those were the only one in the package. The gap isn’t as bad as it looks when you fiddle with it. It tilts to create the larger gap b/c it won’t sit flat, I think. I filled it in with some paper clay, now I’m waiting for it to dry. It’s looking pretty good, though.

Oh good that the gem size wasn’t the problem! And glad the fill-in idea seems to be working. I wish you lots of luck!

Mine tilted around like nobody’s business when I was trying to glue it in. If the paper clay works out for you I’ll have to consider it myself the next time I paint a Father Foo (because the glue medium was a bit too messy for my tastes, any improvement would be welcome).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.