fbpx

My first griffen

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone My first griffen

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

Andrea
      Participant

Here’s my first griffen. DH says the beak needs to be yellow, but when I tried, even a darker yellow made the beak stand out so much! So, any suggestions are welcomed.

Maria
        Participant

Wow! He looks real. Is there any way you can make the beak match the claws? I think that’s all it needs.

Skigod377
          Participant

Yeah! The only part I dont like is the beak. It looks kinda grey? I love the rest! How beautiful!

Oh, that is beautiful. It looks like he could fly off your desk at any moment. I think if you match the beak and the claws he would be even better. Great job.

Andrea
            Participant

Thank you! Awww, you made me blush.

I’ll try to match the claws and post updates.

Yep agreed. Match the beak with the claws. Nice job.

I love the colors…but the paint has come out a bit blotchy. It might help to use more medium in the paint and apply more paint..or more layers to even out the coat. Right now it appears that you painted with a very dry brush…which is great for last details, but not as good for the first coat or two. So for your next PYO project try to coat the whole thing in an even coat of paint before drybrushing the details.
              I think your ideas are great…just needs more practice! And hey that is good news for Windstone! Love the gold touches on the feathers the best! They are so pretty.
              Don’t let me discourage you…its just me being helpful. I really think you are doing great so far!

Andrea
              Participant

Thanks Whippet, I appreciate the feedback.
                Could you describe where the paint looks blotchy so I can compare?
                Thanks!

Phoenix wrote:

Thanks Whippet, I appreciate the feedback.
                Could you describe where the paint looks blotchy so I can compare?
                Thanks!

Oh I am so glad you didn’t take offense! I had to go through so many crits in college that I stopped being offended. And I love to get a good crit. I did a sorta picture explaination for ya.

I just circled a few samples of what I ment by blotchy. And the parts I love the most!

Andrea
                Participant

Okay, I see what you mean. That was where I was trying to give the feathers banding but DH kept saying darker, darker, darker. I had originally painted the whole thing a creamy sandstone as the base color and then started layering the dark brown.

Do you think I should darken it up more to hide the banding?

Thanks for the critique. I don’t mind at all. It’s how we get better! I would like to get good enough to put a couple on Ebay but am afraid they’ll get it and use it as a target!

Phoenix wrote:

Okay, I see what you mean. That was where I was trying to give the feathers banding but DH kept saying darker, darker, darker. I had originally painted the whole thing a creamy sandstone as the base color and then started layering the dark brown.

Do you think I should darken it up more to hide the banding?

Thanks for the critique. I don’t mind at all. It’s how we get better! I would like to get good enough to put a couple on Ebay but am afraid they’ll get it and use it as a target!

no..I really would not change a thing on this one! Just stuff to keep in mind for your next! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.