fbpx

My dog is being put down today

Home Forums Miscellany Community My dog is being put down today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

Sleek-Heart. A few days ago he started acting sick. No eating or drinking. He eventually stopped moving around at all. We were able to get him into the vet this morning without an appointment. They ran blood tests and said that his kidneys have failed… and he had no muscle mass in his hind legs (german shepherd hip problems)… why he wasn’t moving anymore. They said he has some sort of alzheimers… they said it’s related to his early distemper. I’ve notice this recently… but thought it was due to poor hearing… you’d call his name and he wouldn’t even look at you.
      The vet said we could pour money into him, but he’d always be hurting… and of course said that wouldn’t be the right thing to do.
      He’s almost 12 years old. I picked him out when I was 13 or 14 years old. I’ll be 25 next month. He was waiting for me at the pound. I went in there wanting a german shepherd. The only dog I ever wanted. And there he was.

This picture was taken just a week ago.

He was my first dog. When I was born we had a dog, but I never connected with him (nor he with us) and so didn’t consider him in that regard. We also had a dog very briefly (like not even a year) but the dog was a menace… so Sleek really is my very first dog.

I won’t be there. I’m a clients house till 5… but even though he’s said if I want to leave I can… my dad just doesn’t want me to be there. With all the death we’ve witnessed in the past two years, he doesn’t want me to have another death picture in my head.

The best dog I’ll ever have. He was gentle with the ferrets, no matter what they did to him. They’d climb all over him, and eat his food right from under his nose and he wouldn’t do a thing to them. He wouldn’t chase the cats unless they started something. He NEVER begged you for food. He would just lay down. You could leave any kind of food on the floor in the same room with him and he wouldn’t touch it. The most he’d do is smell it and then go lay down. I didn’t even have to use a leash to walk him. Even as a puppy.
      Being a pet sitter, I can’t say any of this about ANY dog I’ve sit for.

I don’t know why we do it. We get animals as our companions… knowing that one day they’re be gone. It’s a never ending cycle of pain and yet, we can’t stop.

Adaneth
      Participant

So sorry for you loss, sounds like he is one in a million. 🙁

Amanda
        Participant

I’m so sorry Kujacker, he’s a beautiful boy.

Carolyn
          Participant

It’s hurts to lose a beloved pet . My heart goes out to you .
            Something I believe is animals souls live on . I’ve had dreams of my lost pets and it comforts me . Do you get over it ? I lost my first dog when I was a teen and thinking of her still makes me cry .
            M,aybe it’s just me . But the idea of never seeing them again is unbarrible . So I believe I will see them again .
            I had to put my first cat to sleep , she was in pain and couldn’t walk . It killed me to lose her , but keeping her like that I couldn’t be so selfish .

My best to you . They are family and beloved animals .

littleironhorse
            Participant

I’m sorry for your loss Kujacker.

This is a terrible decision to have to make and the last gift you’ll give your furry friend. You should be proud of yourself for having the courage to take this step for him.

Hannah
              Participant

I’m so sorry Kujacker 🙁

I’ve often wondered about the neverending cycle of pet ownership. I know that even though my cat drives me crazy, we still love each other and I’ll be inconsolably sad when she passes. Yet, I know that won’t stop me from getting another animal eventually. I think the years of love you get and the knowledge that you’ve given an animal the best life they can have is worth the pain of losing them. I was actually just thinking earlier about my bird, Joe, who passed last April. I still get teary eyed when I think about him, but it doesn’t change the fact that I had 10 years with him that gave me so much more joy than his passing took from me. He was a friend that I’ll never forget and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.

I wish there was something that I could say to help, but I’d just like you to know that my thoughts are with you and Sleek-Heart.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Stephanie
                Participant

*hugs* I’m so sorry.

LadyFirebird
                  Participant

I’m so sorry about this, Kujacker. He’s a beautiful dog and it’s sad to say goodbye to a faithful companion. I still think of the dog I had to put down over 20 years ago–her image is still in my mind. They will always have a special place in your heart. I will probably always have a fur baby in my life even though I know I’ll have to say goodbye one day. Sending warm thoughts and hugs your way.

Diana L
                    Participant

Kujacker, I am so sorry to hear about your furbaby. It’s the hardest thing in the world to lose a best buddy. My love to you and some big {{HUGS}}

bayoudragon
                      Participant

Major hugs… It’s very hard to let them go, but the love they give and the good memories they leave with us are why animals are so special. I’ve had animals most of my life, and I am lucky enough to work with them too. The ones that bring us the most joy are the hardest ones to let go. 🙁

You saved him from the pound, and now you are making the choice to unselfishly free him from further pain. You have my deepest condolences, Kujacker.

(((HUGS)))

Kelly
                        Participant

Kujacker, I’m so sorry for your heartache and pain. I’ve lost many too, it doesn’t make it easier but you do go on. Never forget them, and keep them in your heart for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/v/iO9duGVo7FY?version=3

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

Oh Ku, I’m so very sorry! Big hugs

twinddragonsmum :((

tdm

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

I’m so sorry. I lost my friend (a German Shepherd/Husky mix from the shelter) not terribly long ago to much the same. He had a type of dementia in the end and Lymphoma. I won’t rattle on about it but I know how your heart feels and I am so sorry.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Rachel
                              Participant

What a sweet and wonderful boy. You gave him love and now you give him a good and happy ending. It’s painful to let go, though. *hug*

Jasmine
                                Participant

I’m so sorry Kujacker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.