fbpx

My Dog Has Mange!

Home Forums Miscellany Community My Dog Has Mange!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

Setsunawolf
      Participant

Normally I would be really upset about this. But my poor Hilel had been diagnosed with Allergies and after several rounds of everything we could think of she was only getting worse. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ The progression of her allergies looked an awful lot like scabies, my older female had this many years ago, so I called my vet and asked if she had the sulfur dip we used on Jere dog. Doc was hesitant at first to prescribe it for me because all of the other skin scrapings had not shown scabies. I was insistent so Hilel went into see Doc today and they found 5 scabies in the new scraping.

Doc did ask my roommate if there was anyway she could treat all the dogs and cats and not tell me. She was apparently really embarrassed that I had diagnosed the scabies and she had tried to talk me out of it. ๐Ÿ˜† To be fair scabies usually starts from the ears and spreads and Hilel’s really did look like a contact dermatitis reaction. It started on her feet and belly.

The only reason I fought so hard was that Jere’s scabies outbreak had also started on her belly and feet, so I knew it could start in that location. And I really wanted it to be scabies instead of an allergic reaction because I can treat scabies and my poor baby can begin to feel better. So everyone crack open a bottle of bubbly and celebrate with me that Hilel is on the road to recovery. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Adaneth
        Participant

Hurrah! I hope she bounces back fast! ๐Ÿ˜€

Jasmine
          Participant

Poor thing. Hope she gets better quick.

BDW
            Participant

That really sucks when they have alergies…specialy when you don’t know what is causing them (case of my cat Raven).
              Good luck…I hope it heals fast. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope it clears up. just be careful though scabies are contagious to humans too!! I found that out by working with a vet for so long. I’m glad it’s something that can be cured though. allergies are such a pain to have to deal with when it involves pets. My parents’ golden retriever was allergic to some ingredient in his food, I can’t remember, I want to say it was potatoes but I’m not too sure, but man did they ever have a hard time going through finding food for him that wouldn’t make his skin break out. ๐Ÿ™„

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

Rusti
              Participant

Sarcoptic mange is kind of difficult to find on skin scrapings sometimes, especially if you’re giving lots of baths. The mites live more on the surface of the skin than demodex mites do. I think for every 20 or so times I’ve seen demodex on a slide, I might have seen scabies but once.

Seconding the do be conscious of the fact that it’s zoonotic. It is self limiting in humans (meaning, you’ll get a rash of itchy read bumps and it goes away eventually, you won’t have to dip yourself) but it’s unpleasant!

Well, better the evil you know how to treat then the evil you don’t! Glad she should be on the road to recovery soon!

Setsunawolf
                Participant

Rusti wrote:

Sarcoptic mange is kind of difficult to find on skin scrapings sometimes, especially if you’re giving lots of baths. The mites live more on the surface of the skin than demodex mites do. I think for every 20 or so times I’ve seen demodex on a slide, I might have seen scabies but once.

Seconding the do be conscious of the fact that it’s zoonotic. It is self limiting in humans (meaning, you’ll get a rash of itchy read bumps and it goes away eventually, you won’t have to dip yourself) but it’s unpleasant!

Thanks for the warning. I am aware I might get it from her. But I am just relieved that I can do something for her. Scabies I can clear up with two shots, although everyone else in the house is getting dipped in the sulfur stuff just as a preventive measure. Lel gets shots because she’s miserable. My Majere actually had scabies as a puppy, so I am familiar with treatment.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Setsunawolf
                  Participant

the dragon collector wrote:

I hope it clears up. just be careful though scabies are contagious to humans too!! I found that out by working with a vet for so long. I’m glad it’s something that can be cured though. allergies are such a pain to have to deal with when it involves pets. My parents’ golden retriever was allergic to some ingredient in his food, I can’t remember, I want to say it was potatoes but I’m not too sure, but man did they ever have a hard time going through finding food for him that wouldn’t make his skin break out. ๐Ÿ™„

My GSD has a food allergy to poultry. I have been through many different foods trying to find what he can and cannot eat. Many Lamb and Rice formulas use poultry, which is just wrong. I’d rather it be mange than an allergy. Poor Suna gets all itchy every time he gets into something he shouldn’t…like the cat boxes MMnnn good kitty cruchies It has been a nightmare for poor Lel, we thought she was allergic to plastic…do you have any idea how how it is to get rid of all the plastic your dog might come into contact with. Bowls, water buckets, crates, storage containers, garbage, the food scoop….uurrgggg…. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.