fbpx

My cat Kanga and our yard "dogs".

Home Forums Miscellany Community My cat Kanga and our yard "dogs".

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

We have two yard “dogs” that do a great job of letting us know if something is up. Much better than the actual dog does! Anyway they are very curious critters and come up to the back porch everyday to check on things. That and to snatch some cat food. My MIL caught this interaction as we were feeding them some bread out the door.

We have raised these two from chicks and are completely enjoying having them around. Did you know peacocks don’t lay eggs? It is an interesting fact.

Photobucket

Adaneth
      Participant

That’s great! Are they both female?

Carolyn
        Participant

That is a funny pic.

Robin
          Participant

That’s great! Are they both female?

Thanks. No, they are both male. They are just young so their long tails have not grown in yet.

Heather
            Participant

Congrats on your peas! They are such fun birds: tons of personality, and smarter than they let on. I notice that the one on the right appears to be a “split”: he carries one gene for wildtype blue and one for white. Blue is dominant to white, so it masks it almost completely. We never knew that all three of our peas were splits until they hatched out chicks, and we had two blue and four white!

Robin
              Participant

You are correct. He is a split. Now we just need to get some hens so we can see what kind of babies they make. I would love a white or pied.

Heather
                Participant

We’ve got split hens coming out our ears . . . I don’t think we’ve gotten more than one or two homozygous wildtype chicks from our split trio. Everyone else has been either white or split. And we seem to get more girl chicks than boys for some reason. :~

Ann

Those guys are cool! I have never met anyone who owns peacocks, where did you get them?

It always makes me happy when people are using birds for guard dogs rather than dogs! Birds, like you said, are so much better at the job!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.