My babe, my horse— T is gone

Home Forums Miscellany Community My babe, my horse— T is gone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

I am heartbroken. My horse, T, died today, and it hurts so much. I can’t talk about it, so I emailed my family to tell them (a horrible one liner) and even so my sister and then my mom called and all I could say is “I don’t want to talk about it” and even that much put a hard rock lump in my throat and it was all I could do to keep from sobbing again. (Even now I’m crying, but I do want to talk about it, I just physically can’t yet.) It’s not like I didn’t know this could happen; last time the vet came out when he was hurting he said he had a stone and that he could die that day or he could go anytime … I heard banging early this morning (5 a.m.) and went out to check on him and he seemed fine, looked at me like, “What, mom?” and then this morning I slept in and when I went out at 8:30 (an hour later than usual) he was solid sweat and shaking and wouldn’t eat but kept following me around. So I called our vet, but he couldn’t come and by the time I got a vet out there he was so obviously in bad shape. The vet said he was too old to survive surgery (25 years old) and there was no option but to put him down. He also said that I could get a second opinion, but that T-bear was in so much pain that it wouldn’t be fair to him to make him suffer that long. 😥 😥 😥 I stayed with him the whole time holding his head and shading his eye from the sun, but even now I want to erase time and MAKE him be alive again. He had gained all his weight back and looked so good. He was an easy ride and sooooo good with the kiddos. He was the absolute sweetest horse and he knew I was his source of love and treats and pets and he would always come to me. He had a really good 6 months with us, but I feel we were both cheated and it should’ve been much longer. Even the neighbor was choked up and said he would miss him. Now I have to deal with helping my daughter understand, and eventually I’m going to have to have breakfast & coffee.
    I am glad I read eaglefeather’s thread first (I suspected she’d had her baby) and I respect the continuing cycle of life, but I want my horse back 😥

twindragonsmum
    Participant

I’m so, so sorry…. It really hurts to lose a member of the family….. You’re welcome to my shoulder if you need it 😥

twindragonsmum

tdm

Laurie
      Participant

I’m so sorry for your loss. I now how hard it is to lose a horse. I had my horse Star my entire life and she had to be put down at 32. Just know you did the right thing and he’s not suffering anymore. *hugs*

Jodi
        Participant

I’m so sorry. I’m all teared up over here for you. *hugs*

Pegasi1978
          Participant

I’m so sorry to hear about T. Just remember that he spent the last few months of his life happy with you and your family. He will be waiting for all of you to see him again some day and he will be healthy, happy and frisky.

Adaneth
            Participant

So, so sorry to hear about your loss. He’s not in pain anymore. *hugs*

Bob

I had to read it thru tears. I’m sorry for yout loss.

Been there, done that. And 10 years later it still hurts like hell. I know how you feel Bosky. I still choke up and cry about losing Cricket…it is still incredibly hard to talk about even after all this time without crying.

I am not sure why losing a horse hurts worse than losing a dog or cat, but it does. Cricket’s passing was similar to your description of T-bear’s, so it was really hard for me to read, at least it wasn’t 3am, and you didn’t have to argue with your vet about getting his ass out of bed. Though from re-reading your post, the vet still didn’t get there right away, not that the outcome would have been different, but perhaps the suffering would have been less.

Anyway, I am so sorry this happened. Even when we know it’s coming, it is still so very hard. I’m here if you need me. *hugs*

Kyrin

wolflodge100
                Participant

I’m so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to lose a horse. Sending hugs and well wishes.

Megan
                  Participant

I’m so sorry, bosky. I know he appreciates those six happy months he had with you and your family, and that you were there with him when it was time for him to go. I’m sure you were a tremendous comfort to him.

Oh, my… I have to go to the bathroom and wipe my eyes or something. I’m so very sorry!

Starbreeze
                    Participant

I’m so sorry!!! Those months with you were probably the best of his life….and yes, I’m crying right now too… 😥 (lots of hugs)

So sorry about your horse. Last fall, I had to call the vet at 1:30 AM to come put my pony down, and it was so devastating. He was scheduled to come at 8:30 that morning, but I couldn’t stand to see him suffer one more minute. We tried everything; 2 different vets, shots, charcoal, walking, whipping (that about killed me) to try to get him up, but to no avail. The colic was too severe and irreversible. My poor son was traumatized, and had trouble in school for two weeks.

My critters have always been a part of my family, so I can sympathize with your pain. It should help to know that he is no longer suffering, and I like to think that my departed critters will all be waiting for me when it is my turn to go home. I can’t imagine Heaven without them.

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

I know it hurts so bad right now, but it will get a little better with time, I promise. Always hang on to your sweet memories, they help a lot.

Skigod377
                      Participant

Im sorry Bosky. I am glad you gave him a happy ending. He had a long life and you did the right thing. Letting him suffer would have been selfish. Im sending hugs… you were a great mom to him.

Elena
                        Participant

I’m so sorry to hear that Bosky. 🙁 ***HUGS***

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.