fbpx

Music!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Music!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    KaytanaPhoenix
    Participant

Yup! Music! Most everyone loves it! ‘n I’m hugely addicted to it ;p lol..

Was just wondering what are some peoples fave songs?? I love listening to music while I paint, but I’m getting bored with my playlist, the skip buttons gets visited more often than it should XD lol.. So I figured I’d see what everyone here likes, and give it all a try! (I run Spotify so I can search for *most* artists – If you haven’t tried Spotify I actually do recommend it! It’s free to use, just gotta listen to a commercial every now and again, and deal with some songs missing.. but you create your own play lists, so it isn’t like a radio where you listen to what *they* pick)

I mostly listen to country music, but honestly I like most all music… I’m not into screamy-metal music, most Rap (Though I like a good beat R&B/Hip-Hop song) ‘n that’s about all I’ll most likely not like.. beyond that its a song by song basis, lol..

When I’ve got a real spare minute (Crunching this painting, but sooo need new music! lol) I’ll post a list of some of my fave songs! 🙂

Zelda
      Participant

Oh goodness, I listen to a huge variety of music… it’d be hard to pick out a favorite! I grew up with jazz, 80’s hits, and rock, and have mostly stuck with rock and alt-rock as I’ve gotten older. Not the stuff these young whippersnappers call rock nowadays though 😉

If I had to pick just one song as my favorite, it would be “Paranoid Android” by Radiohead. Radiohead is to me what Pink Floyd is to my dad – a band I discovered young and grew up with, loving their evolving and changing sound with every new album.

KaytanaPhoenix, ironically one of the genres I like *least* is country music 🙂 But I think that’s because I haven’t listened to enough of it! Looking forward to hearing your favorites list.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Rachel
        Participant

Absolutely Pink Floyd. Also: Mumford & Sons, Adele, Keri Noble, Avett Brothers, Black Joe Lewis, Brandi Carlile, Scissor Sisters, Pink, No Doubt, Death Cab for Cutie, and lots of other stuff.

I have got to rave about Beautiful Disaster Album of James Durbins. It is amazing. Love his music. I DO NOT buy CDs ever and never really listen to much music but I had to have this CD when I heard it. Kinda rock/metal but not screechy at all and I really love his background story and his writing is so great. I am raving about him totally. Even my sons like the music. Can’t believe they agree with Mom for once!

Ann

I just got tickets to an Alan Jackson concert in April, so I’ve been rockin’ out to his music lately!

I really like listening to musicals while I work. The story helps keep my mind focused on the music.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Oh my, my tastes are all over the place.
              I grew up as a little kid listening to my parents music of course– Led Zeppelin, Floyd, Moody Blues! and so on. So those are always favorites.

For rock/prog I highly recommend Porcupine Tree. (Floyd fans, especially, check them out. Really.) If you are new to them, it’s hard to pick an album but Fear of a Blank Planet might be a good place to start.
              When I was younger, I was a hardcore Our Lady Peace fan. I don’t care for their newest stuff, though.

If you like dance/techno, I recommend Hybrid, Above & Beyond, ATB, various others!

If you like pretty female vocals, I cannot recommend the single album “Balligomingo” enough. It’s GORGEOUS, and one of my favorite things to paint beautiful fantasy scenes to.

My favorite band of all time is Opeth, BUT some of their stuff is very ‘hard’ metal if you want to call it that, and some have the growled vocals that a lot of people don’t care for. Some of their music is haunting and beautiful, though.

A few links for to whet your appetite, if anyone likes:

Porcupine Tree: Collapse the light into earth (this is one of their ‘pretty’ songs, sort of slow and melancholy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vc1uktH5lQ

Porcupine Tree: Time Flies… this is one of their more upbeat songs with a good feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEWlSTQ1RI

Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize … an example of their heavier stuff. This one is live as it’s the only version I could find. This is a 2 part video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E1FIc74KaM

Balligomingo: Purify. Seriously if you like pretty music you are missing out if you don’t listen to this album!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOUlc0aL5iI

ATB: Made of Glass (pretty): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2uaYBhk8AY

Hybrid: Disappear Here .. one of my favorites! (note, this one has a very cool video, I watch this like once a week, haha!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaMTSOI1Zk4

Above & Beyond: Home (another pretty one) Very pretty video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwWAxX4I_g&feature=related

Pendulum: The Fountain, feat. Steven Wilson.. very trancy, upbeat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f966vztPk

Opeth: The Drapery Falls (hard metal/prog) note that there are a small portion of growled lyrics, which is not everyone’s cup of tea. I used to hate them too but as part of the song as a whole I grew to appreciate them in their way. Opeth songs seem to sing entire stories to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4

Just for old times sake… Led Zeppelin’s Rain Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4v-_p5dU34

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Carolyn
              Participant

Jazz , Swing , Big Band , Rock n Roll of the 50’s , 60’s & 70’s . Bobby Darin , Steve Tyrell , Michael Feinstein , Nox Arcana , Hank Williams , Johnny Horton , Nat King Cole , Louis Armstrong , Loreena McKennitt , Glenn Miller Gene Autry , Classics 4 , and more if I can think later . To early for me to do it .

Songs

Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty

One Tin Solider by Coven

Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot

Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot

Traces by Classics 4

Those Were The Days by ?

Times of Your Life by Paul Anka

Jean by Oliver

Shiloh by Neil Diamond

Magic Man by Heart

Color My World by Chicago

Walk On By by Dionne Warwick

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynard Skynard

Old Time Rock N Roll by Bob Seger

Old Fashioned Love Song by Three Dog Night

Bad Moon Rising by CCR

Puff The Magic Dragon by Peter , Paul and Mary

Chances Are by Johnny Mathis

Misty by Johnny Mathis

Lollipops and Roses by Jack Jones

Don’t Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult

Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks

Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace

Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack

Vehicle by Ides of March

To Sir With Love by Lulu

Turn , Turn , Turn by the Byrds

I’ll stop there . LOL

Christine
                Participant

I’ve been listening to M. Ward a lot lately.

Allison
                  Participant

I’m a bit of a score nerd. When I was at university I found that listening to music with lyrics while I worked made it harder to concentrate, and if I listened to music with lyrics while studying? Those lyrics played in my head the entire time I wrote the test! So I started listening to film scores on an internet radio site. John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Steve Jablonsky, Howard Shore, Bear McCreary, Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner are among my favourite composers.

What I listen to the most right now is music by Thomas Bergersen and a group that he is part of called Two Steps from Hell. Again it’s instrumental stuff, a lot of it is actually used for theatrical trailers, and I love it. I’d try listing some favourites but I’d be here all day. Just searching their names on YouTube will bring up a bunch of different tracks. Try several different tracks if you’re interested, their stuff covers a broad range from high-energy and loud to soft and quiet.

Adaneth
                    Participant

Thanks so much for that recommendation, Arya! I love scores too, so I had to check them out, and it’s instant addiction on my end. 😀

fatalbeauty
                      Participant

I’m usually listening to soundtracks when drawing or painting….I can’t focus if there’s words in the music while I create…um, ones I listened to that I can think of off the top of my head, Lord of the Rings(all 3), Pan Labyrith’s(probably spelt that wrong), Pirates of the Carribean(all 4)…..currently at this moment, I have the Avatar soundtrack on though I’m not creating anything right now other than this post…..

4 things I'm looking for:
                        1. Mother Meerkat
                        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Carolyn
                        Participant

Well I’m listening to my favorite Irish Songs . I just adore the music and words . A passion of mine . The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem , Makem and Clancy ( Tommy Makem & Liam Clancy ) . I just love them . Sadly they are gone , but their music and humor lives on .
                          I just never cared about cool music . I love music whether it’s in style or not .
                          We all follow our hearts .

Kujacker
                          Participant

I listen to everything, really. Except rap and anything with that awful “cookie monster voice” (as an old friend called it). Generally, if I like a song, I could care less what genre it’s in.

But my favorite is gothic metal/rock and Japanese. Nightwish, Xandria, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Midnattsol, Leaves’ Eyes/Liv Kristine and (a few songs of, but not a lot since they have some of that awful “cookie monster” voice) Theatre of Tragedy. Those are all a good start for gothic metal. I’ve heard Sonata Arctica called gothic metal, though I don’t think they are. Might just be metal in general. But I like them as well.

Skinny Puppy is good industrial (I think that’s what they are). Their music probably isn’t for everyone. I don’t even like all their stuff. It can be pretty creepy, actually. I don’t actually listen to them much, but sometimes I’m just in that kind of mood hah.

Blackmore’s Night is good stuff. All their songs are great, and I have all their albums. I guess they might be called Folk Rock?
                            Secret Garden is kind of the same music.

I also like soundtracks, but it’s almost always from a video game.

BUT. I think my favorite of favorite bands is Sigur Rós. They are from Iceland. I have all their albums. AMAZING music guh. I can’t sing praise enough. And yes, I am hipster, but I loved them before everyone started using their music for commercials and movies. And yes, since I’ve had friend surprised when they learned, the singer is male. A few songs you may have already heard from them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuKdeZ2x-M
                            This was the very first song I heard from them, however many long years ago it was, and I’ve been addicted every since:

FYI: If you start listing to a song and think it’s too slow, a lot of their older songs start slow and then get fast. So tough it out 🙂
                            And if, perhaps, you find their music on the depressing side, check out some of their newer things.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfKw5r7M7MQ My favorite of their newer stuff.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWMDfJEkQDs And this song was in 127 Hours. I got giddy when I was in the theatre watching the movie and it started playing. Again, starts slow, get’s fast toward the middle.

Carolyn
                            Participant

I do have 3 or 4 of Blackmore’s Night cds . They play folk rock music . Been a while seen I’ve listened to them . LOL . I do like them .
                              A fun band I like is called The Moonrays . Jazz/swing on the spooky side .
                              Their version of Fever has added words that Twilight fans would like .
                              Me I love the Dark Shadows music they did and Skeletons In The Closet , an old jazz song I heard once on tv Louis Armstrong sing . Prefect for Halloween .

scenceable
                              Participant

But my favorite is gothic metal/rock and Japanese. Nightwish, Xandria, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Midnattsol, Leaves’ Eyes/Liv Kristine and (a few songs of, but not a lot since they have some of that awful “cookie monster” voice) Theatre of Tragedy. Those are all a good start for gothic metal. I’ve heard Sonata Arctica called gothic metal, though I don’t think they are. Might just be metal in general. But I like them as well.

*flails* Really! Haha I’m so excited, female-fronted gothic/ symphonic metal/ rock is my favourite too! Well, okay, Evanescence is my favourite and a lot of people don’t consider them metal, but Within Temptation, Epica, Lacuna Coil, and Nightwish (And Tarja’s Solo stuff) are my other favourite bands. I saw Lacuna Coil recently, at the beginning of February and got to see Within Temptation for the first time last September. I missed Nightwish, Tarja, and Leaves’ Eyes when they came through though.

I never liked Xandria a whole lot before, they had a few songs I liked but nothing major, but their recent album that came out on the 6th is amazing! I can’t turn it off. I just got Epica’s new one today but haven’t given it a thorough listen yet.

And also, when you say cookie monster voice, you mean the growling stuff right? Because I hate that too XD Part of the reason I prefer Evanescence and Within Temptation over Epica, Tristania, Eluveitie, etc. Actually I think the only reason I like Epica and Tristania is because Simone and Vibeke’s vocals are so amazing. I’ve listened to a bit of Midnattsol and Theatre of Tragedy but not a whole lot, I much prefer the melodic female vocals.

Haha, sorry for the long reply, it’s just exciting to find someone who likes the same music I do! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.