fbpx

Mum moment….

Home Forums Miscellany Community Mum moment….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

Yesterday me boy-o-s had their first ‘away’ track meet and I wasn’t able to attend. They left school at 1:30, traveled for two hours by bus, had the meet and didn’t get home ’til after 9:00 last night, and I bawled most of the day and worried about ’em πŸ˜₯ I guess I’m having a harder time letting them grow up and try their wings than I thought. They had a great time and got home safely. I’ve tried really hard to raise them to be independent and self sufficient and not put any of my fears and insecurities on them but boy was it tough yesterday. Has anyone else experienced difficulty in letting your kids go? Is it that it took so long to get them here (10 years) that it’s harder or am I just not as grown up as I thought? (almost 44) Sean and Ethan are almost 12 1/2 but they will always be my babies…… My hubby just laughed at me and said it was time for the boys to have a little longer ‘leash’…..

twindragonsmum

tdm

Stephanie
        Participant

I’m not a mother but I can relate in the opposite direction. I’ve always been very close to my mother (well, except for one year in my teens when I thought she was soooo lame, hehe!). I remember one time when I was 22 or 23, and home from college for the week. I had something to show her, so I went running to find her, but she’d gone on an errand. I remember standing on the steps and just sobbing, because she was gone. She was back in an hour, but still…I think things like that can come to you at any time in your life.

Stephanie wrote:

I’m not a mother but I can relate in the opposite direction. I’ve always been very close to my mother (well, except for one year in my teens when I thought she was soooo lame, hehe!). I remember one time when I was 22 or 23, and home from college for the week. I had something to show her, so I went running to find her, but she’d gone on an errand. I remember standing on the steps and just sobbing, because she was gone. She was back in an hour, but still…I think things like that can come to you at any time in your life.

It’s ok stephanie *pats on back* I’m the same way… I moved 45 minutes away from my mom and then she moved 15 minutes further away and enough was enough I had to move to the same town lol

Stephanie
          Participant

tatt2dcowgrl wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

It’s ok stephanie *pats on back* I’m the same way… I moved 45 minutes away from my mom and then she moved 15 minutes further away and enough was enough I had to move to the same town lol

My husband and I live next door to my mom! πŸ˜†

Hehe quick reply πŸ˜† Seriously though… I think I should get counseling I have a bit of an over attachment for my age I always want her to be there for everything and it hurts my feelings when she can’t be and it’s silly really

tatt2dcowgrl wrote:

Hehe quick reply πŸ˜† Seriously though… I think I should get counseling I have a bit of an over attachment for my age I always want her to be there for everything and it hurts my feelings when she can’t be and it’s silly really

I’m 49 and live 1000 from my Mom. Everytime I’m reallly up set or just feeling blue I want me Mommy to be there. I don’t think we ever really outgrow that.
            My daughters (24 and 18 ) are the same. Whatever s going on they want me to know about it and be there for them. πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum wrote:

Yesterday me boy-o-s had their first ‘away’ track meet and I wasn’t able to attend. They left school at 1:30, traveled for two hours by bus, had the meet and didn’t get home ’til after 9:00 last night, and I bawled most of the day and worried about ’em πŸ˜₯ I guess I’m having a harder time letting them grow up and try their wings than I thought. They had a great time and got home safely. I’ve tried really hard to raise them to be independent and self sufficient and not put any of my fears and insecurities on them but boy was it tough yesterday. Has anyone else experienced difficulty in letting your kids go? Is it that it took so long to get them here (10 years) that it’s harder or am I just not as grown up as I thought? (almost 44) Sean and Ethan are almost 12 1/2 but they will always be my babies…… My hubby just laughed at me and said it was time for the boys to have a little longer ‘leash’…..

twindragonsmum

HA It’s a good thing Dad’s aren’t the “Moms” And don’t worry, you sound perfectly normal to me ~Hugs~ I don’t think it’s every easy to let them grow up and move on. But it is necessary *sigh. Kind of bittersweet.

We have four. I hated not being there every time they had a “first” time away without me.
            Seven years ago when the oldest left for College it wasn’t too bad. He was only an hour away and came home on weekends. We kinda eased into his being gone:wink:
            A few years later when my daughter got married I was too busy up until the Wedding to react much….but during and after I couldn’t stop crying. Four years later I’m better πŸ˜† It helps that she is only 30 minutes away and we go out together every Monday.
            Now the 18 year old is graduating and going to College in FL. Only four hours or so from here but still…Some days it just seems unbearable the she will be out of the house.
            And than there is Ethan, my baby. OK he’s sixteen. πŸ™„ It will be interesting to see how it goes when he leaves. πŸ˜†

dragonmedley
            Participant

Last year, my daughter went with my parents to visit family in France. They were gone for 3 and a-half weeks.

She had a blast, and so did we!

It’s not normal or abnormal to feel the way you do; it just depends on the person. Hugs!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

lamortefille
              Participant

I agree…it just depends on the person. I haven’t had a teary moment since my son’s first day going to school on the bus. He’s 12 now. lol I’ve let them both try whatever sports, instruments, etc. that they’ve wanted and they go on school trips and friend trips. I like them out of the house and independent. πŸ˜†

Katherine
                Participant

My mom calls me once a week, and then insists that I call her more. I don’t mean to not call her, and I think about her all the time, but I guess I need to do more than just think about her. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜†

Skigod377
                  Participant

I still dont let my son play outside alone at the park. He is almost 9. Lots of other parents think I am over protective, but I just cant help but feel that the risk is not worth it. Its hard to watch them get independent, but we gotta let em grow. πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Thanks guys; I knew you’d understand…..

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

It’s always tough when things change, and as our children grow older, we’re going to find ourselves left out more and more, not on purpose, but just because that’s life.

I imagine as mothers we will always worry no matter how old they are or how far away, that is the nature of most Moms. (I say most, cause there are some real unmomlike moms out there who I wouldn’t want to know, but I know a few forum members who have unfortunately been saddled with such)

How we feel emotionally through these changes is individual, but most of us will probably worry, hope they are having a great time, and be feeling sad cause we’re missing it. I’m lucky though, so far both of my kids are under 7, so they don’t go out on their own much just yet.

Talking about outings..TDM…weather is getting nicer, wanna set a Zoo Date soon? PM me.

Kyrin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.