fbpx

Moving to the new data center

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Moving to the new data center

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hey guys,

As I’ve mentioned obscurely in other threads (not so much as the new server), but yes, there are some brief periods of downtime that are going to occur between now and the end of the year.

The major points:

0. There was a power interruption on October 14th while the power company tapped into our main power bridge in order to feed juice to the basement. It was 3.25 hours from roughly 3:15 AM to 6:20 AM.

1. Now our facility is making the move from the 9th floor to the basement. This was scheduled for tonight, but the electrical wiring to the individual racks is not fully complete. I am waiting for word on the approval. This interruption will be short — at worst I would say up to an hour — it involves moving the equipment from 9 to B and plugging it back in. Our facility provider is running two sets of equipment on 9 and B to allow us to make this transition. This outage will occur no earlier than 2 AM on the scheduled night.

2. The power company needs to disconnect the 9th floor power bridge. This will cause another 1 to 2 hour outage. From the information I have, the outage will occur in the last week of Nov/1st week of December, and will attempt to be on a Friday, at either 2 or 3 AM. We are going to attempt to hot-run on UPS systems during the outage as long as possible, but this is dependant on our facility provider also hot-running thier core network equipment.

3. At that point, we will be fully situated in our new home, and the new server will have arrived. I will then need to migrate Windstone over to the new equipment, which will take about 15-20 minutes, and will be done when 95% of members are sleeping (4-5 AM).

All dates and times will be posted here when confirmed.

Thanks for your patience while we upgrade to bigger and better equipment!

Anonymous

NirvanaCat13
        Participant

Good luck!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

I’m really impressed- most web servers are not nearly so through and informative about their service interruptions. Thank you!

Good luck on running on your backup UPS… what sort of units do you have over there?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

siberakh1
            Participant

Wow! If only most of the other computer techs I’ve had to work with communicated so well, there would be fewer miscommunication problems! *gives round of applause – claps hands repeatedly in a circle around my head* ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

If I could only get the same level of communication from my upline… but it’s not their fault, it’s the contractors..

Anonymous

I am hearing the equipment move is preparing for tonight…

Anonymous

Yep, servers are moving in about an hour.

well now what am I supposed to do???

Anonymous

We were only offline for 18 minutes from 3:29 to 3:47, I’m sure you were OK. 8)

This new place is BIG, LOUD and COLD. ๐Ÿ˜†

we can tell the rest of these folks somehting about cold after the last couple of days I think ***mumbles something about stupid snow under breath*

Anonymous

Sorry about that 5 minute blip, we’re still moving in racks and one of the crew knocked off a power bar. Not exactly setup in a “prestine” running condition downstairs yet.

We’ll survive, I’m sure ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

I dunno.
                          I think there’s some addicitions getting stronger by the day.

Skigod377
                          Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

I dunno.
                            I think there’s some addicitions getting stronger by the day.

What? Really??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.