fbpx

More Changes In My Life

Home Forums Miscellany Community More Changes In My Life

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

Well, I’m another one who hasn’t been on the forum as much [does anyone remember me?] When I got laid off two years ago I returned to school to study for a certificate to be a medical assistant. Well I’ve completed that this last May. Did an internship at the medical clinic where I was hoping for a job. Had been volunteering there for a year, met some great people and they loved me in the department where I did my internship.

Well, I don’t think things are going to work out the way I have hoped for. I had numerous applications in at this facility and only heard about one of them–they wanted more information and if I would agree to a background check. I’ve heard nothing since then. I was watching my savings dwindle to almost nothing and really needed to get back to work asap but it wasn’t happening. So I decided to apply for a widow’s pension. The amount is enough for me to live on even though I’m taking it early. I will still be able to work but I won’t be doing the 40 hour week thing–don’t want anything to affect my benefits.

I have mixed feelings about this–on one hand, I feel that I bought myself some wings–am not as worried and stressed about finances like I was. On the other hand I’m a bit depressed that I put so much into my schooling and that I won’t be able to take full advantage of all that training and education. Yet, right now, I’m zapped and really not up to the 40 hour week–it’s been a stressful two years and it has taken a toll on me. I do plan on getting a part-time job–maybe only a couple of days a week so all is not lost.

I feel I’m a victim of this economy–there are private colleges that are pumping out medical assistants and saturating the market so that for every opening there are probably hundreds and hundreds of applicants. The jobs I’ve applied for closed their application deadlines within the day! Then I’m thinking, they want a background check and one bit of information they need is your birth date. Well they know right then and there how old you are–not suppose to discriminate against you but I feel how would I know? I know they’re looking at the long run and they probably don’t want to pay benefits to a woman who is now 60 plus years old. Sorry, but in some instances age does matter.

I gave it a shot and tried and now I’m officially retired. Damn, that makes me feel so old–put out to pasture before I really wanted to be. Story of my life–change happens fast and furious with me. Since 2000, my husband died, I found a job a couple of months later; left that after three years and threw myself into various volunteer positions; after two years I found a full time job; worked there for almost five years when I was laid off in January 2010. Went back to school and you know the rest. Talk about changes!

At least now I know I have a steady source of income and that helps. I do read the forum now and then and it is heardbreaking what some of you are going through. All are very stressful situations and I wish all of you my very best.

So now, I just may be on here more. Hope you’re happy about that! I might even be able to buy a Windstone every now and then.

Bodine
      Participant

What a roller coaster ride you have been on.Glad things will chill but sorry about the job thing.I am one that knows what you are talking about.One thing on the upside though,you will be around more.Glad to see you back.HUGZ!

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Setsunawolf
        Participant

Education is something we do for ourselves. Even if you never get a chance to use it, you have enriched your mind and self, so you are a better person for it. :). But I totlally understand the frustration of going to school for something only to not be able to achieve it. I went a got the degree the school I worked for said I needed, but do you thnk they gave me the full time job they’d been promising……nope. But I enjoyed my classes, so it wasn’t a waste.

I’m glad you have a steady income. Wish I was there with you.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
          Sun Dragon Koi #3

dragonmedley
          Participant

Education is something we do for ourselves. Even if you never get a chance to use it, you have enriched your mind and self, so you are a better person for it. :).

Exactly. If you can get a part-time job in your field, it’ll be perfect. If you can’t, this is where you see if you can volunteer in places where you can use these skills.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

It’s a frustrating feeling to put all that time into education and never use it. Trust me I know (I haven’t used my Chemical Technology diploma in the 3 years since I graduated and it’s not looking likely that I ever will!). But the education makes you more knowledgeable… and be proud that you accomplished that!

It’s nice to know at least you have a steady income. The economical situation is brutal.

Rachel
            Participant

Of COURSE we remember you.

If things don’t work out the way you expect, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they aren’t on their way to working out for the best. Keep your chin up–things will get better.

You have done a great thing for yourself. You’ve given yourself knowledge and experience. Those are two things that no one else can provide, only give the opportunity. And they’re things that no one can take away from you. Be proud of yourself–you deserve it.

LadyFirebird
              Participant

Thanks guys–was wondering if anyone would remember me because it has been a while.

Since I applied for this pension I feel a whole lot better so it must have been the right choice for me. I’m glad to have at least a regular income coming in even though it will be fixed. That’s better than what I was getting before.

I was frustrated at first at the thought of not using what I learned–but you’re right, education is a good thing and I enjoyed my classes and what I was learning. I just won’t be using it in the way that I thought. One of the positions I applied for only needed someone there on Mondays to assist with surgery–if that comes though that will be perfect! If not–whatever. I know something down the line will happen and I’ll be happier for it. People say there is a reason things work or don’t work out–time will tell.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.