Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Mos def! ๐Ÿ™‚

purplecat wrote:

It was an old hardback, I think the jacket just got lost as the actual hardback cover is in ok condition.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I had thought that the actual book cover was missing…

Purplecat
    Participant

They were the first fantasy books I ever read and that’s why I’m sooo fussy about my copies. I have them in soft and hard cover and have read them at least four times. I’ve read the otherland series three times now. He’s a great author although the “War of the Flowers” book didn’t thrill me as much as his others. Oh, does anyone have a hardcover copy of “Tailchaser’s Song”? With jacket of course. I fell in love with fantasy stuff on Tad Williams and Micheal Whelan’s work. It wasn’t long after that I saw my first Windstone and I was hooked for life. Anyone else out there like Kagaya studio’s art?

lamortefille
      Participant

Try abebooks.com.

NirvanaCat13
        Participant

purplecat wrote:

They were the first fantasy books I ever read and that’s why I’m sooo fussy about my copies. I have them in soft and hard cover and have read them at least four times. I’ve read the otherland series three times now. He’s a great author although the “War of the Flowers” book didn’t thrill me as much as his others. Oh, does anyone have a hardcover copy of “Tailchaser’s Song”? With jacket of course. I fell in love with fantasy stuff on Tad Williams and Micheal Whelan’s work. It wasn’t long after that I saw my first Windstone and I was hooked for life. Anyone else out there like Kagaya studio’s art?

You mean like Tom Kagaya? Who did the Zodiac prints/artwork? Dude, that guy has some serious skillz! (we used to have a thread of “interesting artists” in the art section….probably burried by now…..Anyway, I have the whole Zodiac collection in puzzle form! Totaly cool!

Purplecat
          Participant

Yeah, they’re awesome! I’ve got pics saved that I use as wallpapers. Do you know if there were ever just art prints made? I’d love one of Artemis. I think that’s my favorite.

NirvanaCat13
            Participant

purplecat wrote:

Yeah, they’re awesome! I’ve got pics saved that I use as wallpapers. Do you know if there were ever just art prints made? I’d love one of Artemis. I think that’s my favorite.

I know they’ve made some of his stuff into puzzles, but they are super hard to find…I got lucky and got almost the whole set from a guy in Australia…took 6 weeks to ship ground! LoL other than that, I don’t know.

This is totally unrelated to the series, but wow! It never occurred to me to buy prints of book covers and hang them on the wall! Haha… Usually book covers annoy me to no end (don’t like having the characters image-ified for me), but there are a few I’d really love to have hanging up, like a particular edition of Ursula LeGuin’s Earthsea books… buh… doubt I’ll ever find em, but it’s still a neat concept. Fantarding fo’ realz. ๐Ÿ™‚

lamortefille
              Participant

*nods* I don’t like having the characters “image-ified” (is that a word? hehe) for me, either. In my head, the characters from M, S, & T (and others) look nothing like Whelan’s images, but I like the art for it’s own sake.

Heather
                Participant

Read and really enjoyed the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. Williams’ work seems to take me at least two reads to properly appreciate, but that’s OK because there’s plenty of juicy story elements to enjoy on a second read!
                  I love Michael Whelan’s artwork and have a few prints of the cover art he did for Anne McCaffrey’s Pern series and Melanie Rawn’s dragon series (ack, can’t recall the name right now). There used to be calendars with Whelan’s art, too. I wish he’d re-release the prints from Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and Moreta: I’d love to have those. I haven’t even seen them on calendars.

Starbreeze
                  Participant

I have some old Michael Whelan calendars too!!! I couldn’t bear to throw them away when the year was over. I also have 2 of his prints. One is of Isaac Asimov with a robot and the other is of a dark haired girl flying on the back of a flion. Unfortunately, I don’t know what book the girl with the flion is from. ๐Ÿ™‚

Purplecat
                    Participant

My fave pieces by micheal whelan are “flowers and weeds”, “the gentle virtue”, “erosion”, “free fall”, and “sandbox”. I don’t think they made it as book covers but they’re up on micheal whelan’s art sight… http://www.glassonion.com

usually.

Starbreeze
                      Participant

It’s fun to browse his gallery, isn’t it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Talking about artists, another really awesome aretist out there is Josephine Wall. Oh how I love all the little details and hidden animals and birds she puts in her stuff.

I have read Tailchaser’s Song, but never did pick up the Dragonbone Chair series, perhaps I should.

Kyrin

dragonmedley
                        Participant

I think I have all the Tad Williams books. The sequel for Shadowmarch is out; it’s next on my to-get list!

I love Whelan’s art. I missed out on a book on his art once. Now I think it’s out of print. ๐Ÿ™

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.