fbpx

Media: Mica Powder!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Media: Mica Powder!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Participant

Okay, now that I’ve talked to people about a media that’s not appropriate for Windstones, I want to switch topics to one that is: mica powders. For those of you who use them, I have a number of questions for you.

[ol]Do you use or recommend any particular brand? Have any brand(s) would say to avoid?
      Do you apply mica in its powder form, or do you add it to an acrylic (or other paint) medium to paint? And do you generally use a normal gloss medium or a pigmented acrylic paint behind it?
      Do you recommend starting with the base already pre-painted black or start on the white gypsum base? (I’ve seen mica air brushed and it doesn’t seem to stand out as much on the white as it does on black.)
      Roughly how much of a color / colors do you think you need for a project? I’ve been eyeing some very nice-looking sets of Eye Candy mica powders but generally speaking, these seem to come in 1 or 2 oz baggies. I’ve seen different videos where some people claim that a little goes a long way and then others where the artist/crafter will dump in the entire packet to make paint and then some. (If it helps to put into context of the size of the pieces, I’m thinking ki-rin, the dragons, and oriental dragons.)
      Do you have any general advice for someone who has little/no practice with the medium? Anything you wish you’d known when you started using it? [/ol]

Bodine
      Participant

Hello,I know it’s been a few weeks since you asked but here’s my input since I do use powders and often.
        First off like everything,it takes a little practice.
        I use Jacquard pearl-ex most of the time.
        I personally, do not mix them with any paints.If I want metallic paints they sell those.Powders dry over black base is completely different.Especially if it is colorshifting.You will get pastel colors on a white base.You will get darker,bolder colors if you use black.The base cannot be bone hard dry because the powder won’t stick.It will just blow right off.There is a short window between painting the base and applying the powders.The base should not shine from wet paint but if you rub it,it will come off.This is the right time.Maybe 10 mins.after applying the black.The powders do not take much to go a long way when used like this.
        Spray lightly to “set” powders.Let dry hard and a second layer can be added.Practice makes perfect and good luck.🙂
        Show your stuff.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Lauren
        Participant

I see, so the paint should be slightly tacky from the sounds of it? When you’re working with larger pieces (like say a unicorn or dragon) do you try to apply to the whole statue at once, or in stages? Right now I’ve mixed some mica with paints so I can try that application over black as well but I might try to do the actual powder application over a piece with a kitsune I have… my biggest issue I think would be finding a good sealer. They used to be relatively easy to find but the last few times I tried visiting WalMart I couldn’t find any, so I may have to find a Michaels.

Otis Ryan
          Participant

In any circumstances, we need to understand what we use for our specific aims

[right][color=#222222][url=https://tunnelrun.io/home]tunnel rush[/url][/color][/right]

Bodine
            Participant

I see, so the paint should be slightly tacky from the sounds of it? When you’re working with larger pieces (like say a unicorn or dragon) do you try to apply to the whole statue at once, or in stages? Right now I’ve mixed some mica with paints so I can try that application over black as well but I might try to do the actual powder application over a piece with a kitsune I have… my biggest issue I think would be finding a good sealer. They used to be relatively easy to find but the last few times I tried visiting WalMart I couldn’t find any, so I may have to find a Michaels.

You don’t want the paint hard dry Powders just blow off and if you remove some base on your fingers when you handle it then wait a couple of minutes.
              Small sculpts are best to learn on.Unicorn is a good size.Keepers,depending on your paint scheme,I have done one side at the time but must have whole thing based coated or you will get a line where it meets.Make sure base is smooth and even or it will show.Practice will teach you.As for spray,krylon gloss makes the powders pop color.Others not so much .
              Using dry powders over an already painted piece is a good way to learn too.Multiple colored coats make interesting results too.Hope this helps.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.