fbpx

Losing my job =

Home Forums Miscellany Community Losing my job =

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Leigha
    Participant

Mervyns announced on Friday that the company would be calling it quits and every store would be liquidating. My store is liquidating November 1st = I’ve always shopped at Mervyns, this is going to suck so much.

It’s incredible though, the day it was announced we started doing over 100k in sales O.O people just came out of no where because the store announced it’s closing. It’s been insanely busy.

The sale at the moment is the exact same type of sale we’ve been having throughout the year, nothing special yet, but people are buying things in huge amounts….where were all these people two months ago? We wouldn’t be closing if they had bought all this stuff a month ago. BLAH

I’ve been with the company 4 years, was hoping I’d make it to five and get my name on the plaque 😛

Anyway, bummed that we’re closing and I have to go through the process of finding a new job this season. blah.

Leigha
      Participant

Maria
        Participant

Liquidating November 1st? That’s pretty short notice, isn’t it? How much time do you have until your store closes down for good?
          I’m sorry to hear this and wish you the best of luck in finding a new – and hopefully better – job.

Leigha
          Participant

It’s very short notice. The company didn’t tell it’s employees that they had made that decision first. We all found on the day it was announced on the news, many employees didn’t know until they came into work to start their shift that night.

Our store manager was in tears, she started at 16 working for Mervyns and worked her way up from there without a highschool diploma or college. She has to find a new job and for her it’ll be harder. I can go do any type of “peon” work, she needs more than that.

They are thinking that to completely empty the stores will take until January 1st. Which is the tentative close date. As of November 1st though, our store is no longer run by the Mervyns company, it’s run by the liquidation company (as I understand it) They decide price points, sales, who may continue to work and who is layed off, that kind of thing.

That sucks, I knew they were going out of business, I didn’t expect it to affect anyone I knew though. Bummer. Well get your resume’ written up and start looking for something now, while you are still working. It’s easier to get a job while you still have one.

Meanwhile, hang in there and I hope things get better quick.

Kyrin

dragonmedley
            Participant

That sucks!

I hope you find something else quickly.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Maria
              Participant

That’s ridiculous! You have as little as two weeks to find a new job? I hope you get more time and that luck is on your side when you start looking.

Adaneth
                Participant

Sorry to hear the bad news, and good luck on finding a new job.

It’s amazing how the ‘vultures’ descend when they think there’s a bargain in the air! 😆

Bob

I just heard it a couple days ago too. I’m sorry it’s effecting someone here. I’m sure you will find somethign else soon!! At least I hope you do!!
                    GOOD LUCK

frozendragon
                    Participant

Our Mervyn’s has been closed for a while… They closed just about every store in Texas at least a year ago..

I didn’t realize that there were any Mervyn’s stores still open…

that’s sad.. but it’s been coming for a while.. I can’t believe they didn’t tell anyone that ran the store about it

Jodi
                      Participant

I’m sorry you are losing your job, Leigha. That stinks!

The Baker’s Square and Outback restaurants in our city closed not that long ago. I heard that the Baker’s Square did not tell their employees, so when they came in to work, they found the doors locked and a note on the door, saying the place is closed. That’s even worse.

At least you have a warning in advance.

siberakh1
                        Participant

emerald212 wrote:

I’m sorry you are losing your job, Leigha. That stinks!

The Baker’s Square and Outback restaurants in our city closed not that long ago. I heard that the Baker’s Square did not tell their employees, so when they came in to work, they found the doors locked and a note on the door, saying the place is closed. That’s even worse.

At least you have a warning in advance.

Some Bennigan’s restaurants did the same thing. Note on the door for employees to find the next day. Just evil and wrong. 👿

Leigha, I’m sorry to hear that this has happened to you at this time of year. Get out there looking now. The holiday season is upon us, so you might find something, but the sooner the better. Hopefully you can find something that isn’t strictly seasonal. *fingers crossed and sending good luck vibes your way*

That sucks that you are losing your job. I hope you find something before the store completely closes up (I know what it’s like to find a job when you are unemployed. It sucks).

*hugs*

Click Please!!

Jasmine
                          Participant

Keeping my fingers crossed for you to find a new job quick.

lamortefille
                            Participant

Aw, that sux….I hope you find a new job quickly!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.