Live Stream of Poads(tm) this afternoon!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Announcements Live Stream of Poads(tm) this afternoon!

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

My impression – and I could be wrong – is that the livestream and “claim your Poad” mostly (completely ?) benefitted Windstone’s established customer base.  Which is lovely for us, but not really fair to people who are not on the Forum and weren’t exposed to all the discussion about the Kickstarter.

Perhaps in the future, if Melody wants to do another Kickstarter and include chances for people to claim specific pieces, being able to choose could be included as part of the most expensive tiers.

Kim
      Blocked

I was thinking for choosing poads that it might have been better to just have a class photo and show off livestream and then have everyone send requests once everything has been shown but then again that would still be tough because if several people requested the same piece, then who would get it, like the first person to message?  Unless people maybe gave their top 3 or 5 choices like Melody had mentioned in the the past and then they would get one of the ones they like?  When I first saw the special poads in a video and pictures I got screenshots and made a collage of my top 6 and messaged Melody asking if any were available.  My first top pick wasn’t but my second choice was so I was happy with that.  I feel like with new people though or people who just want a random grab bag, I don’t think other people choosing would affect them still getting a nice piece if they don’t care too much about picking one.  If they don’t know how to pick a piece or don’t want to then they will still get something nice either way and for the rest of us who do care about picking ones we like at least we get a chance so a couple hundred of us don’t have to trade later.  All the money spent on shipping trade pieces could be used for Melody’s kickstarter instead.  I think for Melody’s established customers it’s actually a nice way for her to allow us to get a special piece we want.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Etruscan brings up a good idea. Maybe in the next Kickstarter for Rue Day (if that’s the plan anyway) only certain tiers offer a “pick your poad” option. Or there is some kind of surcharge of add on fee for the service.

Not that the idea of that won’t be argued for folks who can’t afford another charge, but it is what it is. It would at least give Melody a benefit for the headache of going back and forth with folks like she has been to sort out what everyone wants.

On my next day off I feel like I might take dimensions of all my Poads and make a giant cardboard “wheel of poads bingo” and see if there is a sort of graph I can make that will make selecting Poads easier in the future… That is assuming we ever do anything like this again.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

So this is extremely quick and done on paint, but I had some time in between customers at work LOL

So Row A would be for Bean Poads or Tad Poads, Row B for Babies, Row C for Adults, and Section D would be for the matching sets… Meh?

Got a busted Windstone?
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Tattoo Mother Kirin

Stephanie
            Participant

I think the easiest way to claim things on a live video is how all my LuLaRoe buddies do it.  They give everything a number, hold up one item, show it off, say the number, and the first person to type sold/claim/mine/whatever and the number gets it.  Whoever the person running the video sees first, gets it.  You have to be quick, and lag is definitely a factor, but it’s easy and it’s organized.  If you’re not sure which one you want, just write down the numbers and hope none of them get claimed, then make your decision and PM the claim number afterwards.  Again, whoever claims it first gets it.  That way each item is just shown once, and there’s no jumping around.  One video for bean poads, one for babies, one for regular adults, etc.

So your grid could work, Drag0n, but you have to make sure the Poads don’t move around so they’re #35 one video and suddenly #37 the next.  The number has to stick with the Poad so they’re easy to pull when someone claims it.  Maybe written on the pad?

Just a few more ideas.  🙂

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Well even if someone else claims it during the feed, folks were at least being accommodating to others during the stream. I mean… I’m sure it could potentially get ugly, but I would HOPE we wouldn’t behave that way.

Got a busted Windstone?
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Stephanie
                Participant

I think everyone was extremely well behaved, patient and kind.  I asked about a specific Poad at the start of the Specials section, but when they held it up someone else claimed it first.  I bowed out gracefully, and found another one I loved.  It really wasn’t a big deal.

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

Yea same here, there were a few I wasn’t quick enough on (especially the beans) but the lag was horrible and my autocorrect is just was bad so in order to not sound ridiculous I had to retype almost everything every comment and by the time I posted it was too late.

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

Kim
                    Blocked

I noticed there were lots of similar poads from the livestream though.  There were a couple babies and minis I liked that were picked early but then I was able to pick a couple others later I liked just as much and there were lots of gorgeous babies left at the end!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Karen Goddard
                      Participant

I still need to claim a Poad.  The one I asked for was claimed by someone else, but I didn’t fight for it.  It was very appealing, but I actually only saw one that I wouldn’t be happy with.  Melody said she was going to do it again – did she ever mention when that anyone heard?

Rylorien
                        Participant

There’s a lot of good discussion that has happened here about the Kickstarter.

As I understand it, yes, the whole point of the KS was the graphic novel + a way of introducing new people to Melody’s work. But most of Melody’s work IS her figurines. And while the poads may have taken over, they’re also the only reason Melody’s Kickstarter hit that 30k goal so quickly; if it were JUST the graphic novels being sold, it would have taken a lot longer for that funding to be reached, if at all.

So far I think that Melody and co have done an amazing job all around. People that are new to the Windstone scene aren’t being fooled by the Kickstarter; they’re still getting grab bags at random, they can still request color options, they can still request preferred pieces. It is true that for some people it seems misleading or confusing or both. But beyond that Melody and her team always, ALWAYS go above and beyond for customer satisfaction–they love to make both new and old customers happy. I can only bow deeply in appreciation and admiration; as a life-long lover of her works, the chance to own a once-in-a-lifetime special item AND have a say in it is phenomenal. Like others, I’ve been burnt out on the normal grab bag scene. It gets expensive very quickly if you’re unlucky, even if you manage to work out trades; worst case scenario you’re stuck with something you MIGHT be able to sell for store price later. I get that it’s the name of the game, but that doesn’t change the fact that the odds can really suck sometimes.

Overall, I think the main problems from experiencing the livestream is that they 1) needed a third person + 2) needed to have a focus. 1) A third person to specifically man the chat, whether in-person or relaying information through skype, etc. to take down the order in which requests to see things were made. Literally, all that person would do is stare at lines of chat. Not help search for pieces or anything like that, just makes a list of desired preview peeks. A lot of things had to be repeated and people still fell through the cracks, for all that other people in the chat were helping them repeat stuff. And 2) a focus. While we were initially with the bean/mini poads, we literally wound up jumping all over the place which caused a ton of delays and confusion. There’s two easy ways to fix this: either only show one size of poad/figurine type per livestream, or pick a size and don’t deviate until the wheel has gone fully around 2-3 times for that type. The wheel would have to spin a little slower though and compensate for chat lag from people watching in mobile vs computers.

That’s my two bits.

etruscan
                          Participant

As a side note – I loved the little drawings that Melody did as markers.  I don’t know how well they actually worked for people who were trying to choose Poads, but they sure were fun to see.

LadyFirebird
                            Participant

Just out of curiosity I went back to the Kickstarter page and took down the amounts of the backers who were interested in the novel only–either PDFs and/or real copies.  The amount I came up with is $3,765.00–the Poads definitely made a difference in the pledges!  By just offering the books only, Windstone wouldn’t have made their goal.  The Poads are Melody’s very own creation–it is unique to Windstone.  And…she’s gotten a few more backers since the Live Stream.  I feel we were all very civilized during the Live Stream when more than one person wanted a particular item–to be otherwise would be an insult to Melody.  To anyone out there who is new to Windstone and is here because of the Kickstarter–this is what Windstone is about–Melody wants us to be happy with what we get from her.  Sorry if being able to personally pick your Poads put you off–that wasn’t the intention.  I feel the members on this forum are great people and we all have one thing in common–we all love Melody’s work to a fault!  We welcome new people and hope you have as much fun as we are.

merrillannwhite
                              Participant

I agree with you LadyFirebird.  The people at Windstone are a great group, and for the most part the forum members are as well.  I do think Melody could have gotten the Kickstarter funded with just the books (they are gorgeous) because I think everyone that pledged wanted the books, but what fan of Melody’s would pass up a special sculpt if they didn’t have to?  😊

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.