fbpx

links and helpful hints on depression

Home Forums Miscellany Community links and helpful hints on depression

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Grayfire_artz
    Participant

Robert Saplosky is the author of the book “Why Zebras don’t get stomach ulcers” He is one of the leaders in the study of stress and stress related diseases and the effect on the mind and body. For anyone wanting to understand more of the bones of depression and why it is so devastating I cannot recommend this lecture more!

tempest618
      Participant

Thank you for posting this link! My son and I are both struggling with depression and I’m always looking for anything that can help.

Grayfire_artz
        Participant

I hope the information helps. Depression is really awful and painful to deal with.

rock-reader
          Participant

Thank you for this link. I have been disabled with depression for years and that lecture was the most concise and organized summation of major depression that I have ever heard. I’m going to try to send it to my sister, who believes depression falls under the “just pull yourself up and get on with life” theory of depression (if I just knuckled down I could beat it…)

Thanks again.

Melody
            Keymaster

This is a blog written by someone who is struggling with depression.
              I hope the cartoony treatment doesn’t offend anyone who is also struggling with this terrible problem, but I think it helps others understand a little of what going through this it is like.
              http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

Grayfire_artz
              Participant

This is amazing! thank you melody!

Grayfire_artz
                Participant

Yaay! I’m so happy it helped. I’ve been scouring the internet for information that is concise and helpful. I’ll post more as I find it :3

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

This is a blog written by someone who is struggling with depression.
                    I hope the cartoony treatment doesn’t offend anyone who is also struggling with this terrible problem, but I think it helps others understand a little of what going through this it is like.
                    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

This is EXACTLY how it feels – pure BOREDOM but with anxiety… and everything feels grey

tdm

tdm

Falcolf
                    Participant

Oh! I’ll have to put this on my ‘interesting stuff to watch’ list! Thank you! I get mild depression from time to time, but luckily I’ve been able to stave it off mostly by keeping my mind busy with working on my creative stuff. I think the reason I’m still alive is because of it actually.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Depression is one of the major battles I had to fight to function. I found the video very interesting and the blog very relatable.

Thank you for posting these!

Grayfire_artz
                      Participant

I’ve been looking for more information on Ptsd since that is the big monster that I struggle with. I found this article:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/post-traumatic-stress-disorder

It’s summarised really well As far as I can tell everything is accurate.

Sarah
                        Participant

Thank you for posting these links! I’ve suffered major depression before combined with PTSD and it took many years to finally conquor. My worst bout lasted about 4 years, in many ways I’m still recovering but thankfully I’ve gotten A LOT better since those darkest days. Have had a few suicides and suicide attempts in my family too, including losing my beloved Mother, the most kind and compassionate person I have ever known. There are SO many misconceptions about depression, ptsd, suicide. So much stigma.

The lecture is really good, I learned a lot and will probably watch it a few more times. When I was watching it at work, a coworker came by and he recognized the professor from a different talk about schizophrenia, so sounds like he’s got quite a few quality lecture recordings I’ll be perusing.

Grayfire_artz
                          Participant

Here is a article I found that has some really good info dealing with the use of psychotropic drugs. It’s hard to read at points but the information is good to know.

http://www.nyspa.org/docs/flash/ElaineLevineHandouts.pdf

I also found this really awesome article that has some great tips for calming a panic attack

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/how-to-halt-and-minimize-panic-attacks/

Grayfire_artz
                            Participant

Thank you for posting these links! I’ve suffered major depression before combined with PTSD and it took many years to finally conquor. My worst bout lasted about 4 years, in many ways I’m still recovering but thankfully I’ve gotten A LOT better since those darkest days. Have had a few suicides and suicide attempts in my family too, including losing my beloved Mother, the most kind and compassionate person I have ever known. There are SO many misconceptions about depression, ptsd, suicide. So much stigma.

The lecture is really good, I learned a lot and will probably watch it a few more times. When I was watching it at work, a coworker came by and he recognized the professor from a different talk about schizophrenia, so sounds like he’s got quite a few quality lecture recordings I’ll be perusing.

I’m really happy you liked the lecture! I’ve been sifting through and taking in all the information I can find dealing with ptsd… I think the more you know the better your tools are. Things lately have been hard for me but doing research has helped me feel more in control :3

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.