fbpx

Leaving for WisCon this weekend

Home Forums Miscellany Community Leaving for WisCon this weekend

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

Hope you both feel better soon!

Jodi
      Participant

Thanks!

Skigod377
        Participant

What kind of temp job? I missed that…

Jodi
          Participant

It’s just different clerical things. The one today was making copies and coalating packets of information together. Sometimes I do data entry. Nothing exciting, but it’s a paycheck.

Since I’m not teaching for the summer, it’s nice to have some money coming in to pay bills. The business doesn’t make that much money on a regular basis, so that doesn’t cover everything.

Starbreeze
            Participant

How are you feeling??? 😕

Skigod377
              Participant

Ah yes. Teachers have nothing to do over summer, hu, unless they have summer school, right?

Jodi
                Participant

I’m still feeling sluggish and tired. My sore throat is better, but my stomach is still sensitive. I worked yesterday and came home and laid on the couch. I usually go work out every day, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it yesterday. I have to go today for sure, or I’ll start gaining back the weight I’ve lost.

Teachers have summers off unless they teach summer school. I could have asked to, but I chose not to. It’s my convention season, and we have Megan for a couple weeks in the summer too. And the money isn’t all that much. I may actually make more money with conventions and temp work this summer than I would have teaching.

Starbreeze
                  Participant

I hope you’re feeling better. You got hit with way too much at one time; both a cold and the flu. 🙁

Jodi
                    Participant

Well, I didn’t exactly have a cold. I had a sore throat. It was a sore throat the whole time, and didn’t turn into anything else. I didn’t have a stuffy head or a runny nose. I didn’t develop a cough. It was just a sore throat.

I am feeling better. Although still a bit weak and easily tired. I’ve started my workout routine again, and did some yard work yesterday. It was weird not having the forum for two days though. I’m glad it’s back.

Patricia
                      Participant

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better!

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Jodi
                        Participant

Thanks. I’m feeling better. I did some more yard work today. We have two new areas for gardening plotted out. We think that with the economy this year, we are going to be planting our own veggies this year for eating. Most of them anyway. We picked up some zuccini plants and some hot pepper plants (jalepenos and habaneros) tonight. Tomorrow we will look for tomatoes and onions and bell peppers. We also want to grow some green beans this year. We already have an herb garden that is doing nicely.

We decided to put the patio on hold until the end of the summer. But we’d like to get the dining room finished before the 14th of June, so we can have a 50th birthday party for the hubby (his b-day is the 16th). So that will be the next focus. We are so close to getting it done, that if we just concentrate on it and keep at it, we should get it done fairly soon.

I’ll start a new thread about this stuff since it seems to be off-topic here.

emerald212 wrote:

It’s just different clerical things. The one today was making copies and coalating packets of information together. Sometimes I do data entry. Nothing exciting, but it’s a paycheck.

Since I’m not teaching for the summer, it’s nice to have some money coming in to pay bills. The business doesn’t make that much money on a regular basis, so that doesn’t cover everything.

Don’t teachers in the states get paid over the summer months? My dad (a teacher) still gets paychecks in July and August, even though it’s for work done in September-June.
                          So it’s a yearly income. That’s what I was thinking.
                          Hey, it’s summer my brain doesn’t need to work properly, does it?

Stephanie
                          Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Don’t teachers in the states get paid over the summer months? My dad (a teacher) still gets paychecks in July and August, even though it’s for work done in September-June.
                            So it’s a yearly income. That’s what I was thinking.
                            Hey, it’s summer my brain doesn’t need to work properly, does it?

In my district you can choose how you get paid. You can get larger paychecks solely during the ‘school year’, or you can choose to have smaller paychecks every two weeks, but have those checks continue through the summer. It’s the same yearly pay, but it’s up to each teacher to decide how it’s divided up throughout that year.

Jodi
                            Participant

I’m a college adjunct professor. I am hired on a semester by semester basis, so I get paid for the semester I teach and nothing more. I am not teaching this summer semester, so I don’t get paid. I don’t know about other kinds of teachers. My husband also works at the university, but he is not a teacher. He has a nine-month contract, so he doesn’t get paid in the summer either.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.