Lackey Readers?

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Lackey Readers?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

I don’t recommend reading all her books in a row for that very reason. The character development can get repetitive.

By the sword was the very first Lackey book I read. Still love it.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Pegasi1978
      Participant

nightcrow wrote:

I frankly can’t stand her newer Valdemar books. They read like they’re intended for sixth graders, and I’m bleedin’ well tired of being hit over the head with the SAME. BLOODY. MORAL. every time I pick up a new book.

Well the Owl duology was written specifically as a YA series so it was intended for younger readers.

I know what you mean about reading some of her books, but not all of them. I haven’t been able to get myself to read her Bard’s Tale (own one), Bardic Universe (own some), Brainship, Darkover, Dragon Jousters, The Hub, Fairy Tali (non elemental masters), Wing Commander or Heirs of Alexandria (own them) books/series. For some reason I just can’t get into them. Guess I haven’t been in the right frame of mind. The ones I picked up sounded interesting, but I haven’t had time to sit down and read them – or when I have had the time to read something else leaps out at me first.

twindragonsmum
        Participant

Me! Me! *excitedly bites on the end of braided hair* Loved Bedlam’s Bard, the Valdemar stuff, etc. Nobody has mentioned “The Elvenbane”, “Elvenblood” & “Elvenborn” (The Half-blood Chronicles) written in conjunction with Andre Norton, another of my favorite authors! All good stuff πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

tdm

nightcrow wrote:

I… am kind of a Lackey fan.

I adored her Valdemar novels when I was thirteen, but a year or so ago (I’m 25 now) I re-read it and, well, let’s just say the used bookstore got a big pile of books. πŸ™‚ I kept the Herald-Mage trilogy (Vanyel is so emo it’s hilarious), the Gryphon trilogy, The Oath trilogy, and two individual books (Winds of Fury and By the Sword), and let all the rest go. They’re the only ones I can still enjoy reading, though in some cases the reason for that enjoyment has changed.

I frankly can’t stand her newer Valdemar books. They read like they’re intended for sixth graders, and I’m bleedin’ well tired of being hit over the head with the SAME. BLOODY. MORAL. every time I pick up a new book.

On the other hand, I love some of her other novels very much, still. Children of the Night, Bedlam’s Bard, This Scepter’d Isle, the SERRAted Edge books (except for one of them)… these are all still on my shelves and I reread them frequently.

So I’m half a Lackey fan — not a Valdemar fan, but still a fan of many other Lackey series. πŸ™‚

I feel exactly the same way. The whole “There is no one true way” is an admirable sentiment but it gets old after three or four series. Especially since Misty is none too subtle with it.

I also got really tired of Elspeth. Such a whiner. Especially in the Mage Winds trilogy. And she really didn’t have much to whine about. Couldn’t stand the character. Couldn’t read any book that had her as character after that.

Setsunawolf
          Participant

Saydee72 wrote:

Oh, me, me! I love her stuff ^^ Her newest books arn’t that great though, if you ask me. The parodies of old fairy tails, they don’t even seem like its her writing! I hope she starts doing more of the Valdemar series soon!

She’s going for the record of most published books. I’m not sure we’ll see anything like Valdemar or her earlier work. It makes me very sad.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Shandi
            Participant

I have every book she’s ever written!!
              I love her stuff! I’m re-reading the Joust series right now. I just got through re-reading the elf/car series. I don’t have nay book money right now so I’m stuck re reading books but thats okay I have a pretty good collection of paper backs. I love to re read my books it’s like visting old friends.

Shandi wrote:

I have every book she’s ever written!!
              I love her stuff! I’m re-reading the Joust series right now. I just got through re-reading the elf/car series. I don’t have nay book money right now so I’m stuck re reading books but thats okay I have a pretty good collection of paper backs. I love to re read my books it’s like visting old friends.

I noticed in your most recent post that you and I share a lot of books in common. πŸ™‚

Your unicorns are gorgous BTW.

Kyrin

I just re-read yet again the Last Herald Mage trilogy. I have yet to get to the end without crying my eyes out. But I love Vanyel and how he matures as a character but that even at the end he isn’t perfect. But did she have to do that to him? πŸ˜₯ He and ‘Fandes and the rest are characters I enjoy revisiting. I always think this time I’ll just stop reading before I get to the sad, traumatic part but I have a really hard time putting a book down without finishing it.

Jodi
              Participant

Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon are going to be Guests of Honor at Convergence this year. (Peter Mayhew – Chewbacca, of Star Wars, will be there too.) You can find a link to the Convergence website on the Contact Us page of my website. Link below.

I will be there, so you should maybe come out and see me there. πŸ˜€

Jennifer
                Keymaster

emerald212 wrote:

Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon are going to be Guests of Honor at Convergence this year. (Peter Mayhew – Chewbacca, of Star Wars, will be there too.) You can find a link to the Convergence website on the Contact Us page of my website. Link below.

I will be there, so you should maybe come out and see me there. πŸ˜€

Damn- sorry I have to miss it. I’d love to catch up with Larry.

I’m happy to see that they are doing another convention, after all the mess they went through in years past.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.