fbpx

Lackey Readers?

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Lackey Readers?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

whippetluv wrote:

Yeah the fairy tail stuff is NOT the best. The Valdemeer books are far and away the best. She claims she is tired of writing them. Her loss….and ours. But the sad part is she does not allow any fan writings. I figure if she is done writing in that “land” she could at least open it up to others.

I would love to hear that CD…bet its neat.

I don’t know, I think the fairy tale stuff is a riot! If you are refering to the Fairy Godmother series.

If you are refering to the Elemental Masters, which are rewrites of old fairy tales…I love those, especially the Fire Rose, beauty and the beast.

If you want one of hers that is especially good, get your paws on To Light a Candle and the 2 books following it. All three are very very good and hard to put down. This series was cowritten by James Mallory.

I just finished that, and the Dragon Jousters, and the last of the Hundred Kingdoms book, Fortune’s Fool..which while short, was pretty good.

Everything she’s ever done I’ve read. Favorite Valdemar and related series are Last Herald Mage, and the Gryphons, and Arrows.

If you guys haven’t read By the Sword…I highly recommend it, you really can’t help but like Kerowyn.

I could go on for days, so I will stop here. Or not…depending on what I read next in this thread. LOL!

Kyrin

After I read my first book by Mercedes Lackey (The Black Gryphon) I went out to the library and to the bookstore and got every book of hers I could find. I read no one else for about a month while I caught up on what was out. My favorite trilogy is the Last Herald Mage – I just love Vanyel. I also love the CD, Shadowstalker, based on it that I played it so often I had to get another one!

If anyone hasn’t found the CDs based on her work you should check out http://www.firebirdarts.com.

Ah, I didn’t mean the elemental series, those are pretty okay, I mean the newest stuff, the Tales of the 500 kingdoms or whatever…

Saydee72 wrote:

Ah, I didn’t mean the elemental series, those are pretty okay, I mean the newest stuff, the Tales of the 500 kingdoms or whatever…

I will agree that after the first one, the other two were not quite as much fun. But the very first one was hilarious…and I like to reread it often.

Kyrin

Pegasi1978
    Participant

Another Lackey fan here. Have about 2/3 of her books. I love the “Elves on the Road” universe Valdemar. I just found a companion EotR book by Ellen Guon called “Bedlam Boyz” while at a used book store in Fairfax, Va. Lots of fun and I’m only half way through.

I’m also a huge fan of her filk music put out by firebird arts. Just wish it wasn’t so darn expensive and their shipping was better. Every CD case I have gotten from them has been cracked in half. I even got an empty case one time, but I called and they sent out a replacement cd ASAP.

Not to support Internet downloading of things, but sometimes you can find Mercedes Lackey’s songs on programs like WinMX (before it went belly up). I found some of them there (WinMX) and it made me decide I wanted to get the CDs. I have 5 so far and plan on getting more in the future.

Starbreeze
      Participant

Sounds like you have a great collection! πŸ˜€

Pegasi1978
        Participant

My husband and I are both readers (though most of the books were mine when we got married). We have three bookshelves. One and a half of them have the paperbacks turned on their sides and stacked up 4 “columns” to a shelf. Once upon a time they were stacked two deep this way but we bought the third shelf and culled some out to try and sell on amazon.com.

Then we also have some books in a trunk in the closet, the kids books in a dresser in our son’s closet and the RPG books stacked 2 deep in a cubby under the TV. We have almost as many DVD’s as we do books.

Starbreeze
          Participant

I have books all over the place too! I keep going through them looking for ones I don’t want anymore, but I can’t find any 😯

I love her books! I own 12 of them! ^-^;; I love the mage wars series X3 I wish she would do more prehistory, but that’s not likely to happen I guess.

Pegasi1978
            Participant

LyoMoonheart wrote:

I love her books! I own 12 of them! ^-^;; I love the mage wars series X3 I wish she would do more prehistory, but that’s not likely to happen I guess.

From the Mercedes Lackey Web site:

The question most often asked is “Will there be more Valdemar books?” After twenty seven Valdemar books, written over a 20 year span, Mercedes Lackey has decided to take a break from writing about Valdemar, Heralds and Companions. Her last Valdemar book for the next several years will be “Exile’s Honor”, and the anthology “Sun in Glory”. In her own words:

Hey, everybody needs a vacation, even from the best job. So, until I come up with a story set in Velgarth that is as compelling as the ones you’ve enjoyed in the past, I’m taking a break. The last thing I want is for my own favorite series to start limping along and go out with a whimper.
              Misty – Tulsa, Oklahoma

Elena
              Participant

starbreeze wrote:

I have books all over the place too! I keep going through them looking for ones I don’t want anymore, but I can’t find any 😯

LOL! I have that problem too! I’m quickly running out of space and really can’t think of any that I could get rid of!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

There is a chance we’ll see some more prehistory, from the Mage Wars days (or even earlier). πŸ™‚ It just may be a while. Things are always very busy at High Flight.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

I’m also a huge Lackey fan. How huge? I wrote and sent her a letter while I was in basic training for the Army! She is an exceptionally prolific writer, the only kind that can keep up with my reading. I think she is going for Asimov’s record as far as number of publications, we will have to see.

I’ve got all the Valdemar books, I loved the mage winds trilogy, and I loved Vows and Honor. Exile’s Honor was a bit of a disappointment though, she had excellent material to work with but it still felt forced.

My favorite book of all time is Firebird, though some of her other attempts at fairy tales fell flat. I also liked her work with James Mallory. It had a bit of a darker cast than some of her other writing.

I really enjoyed her earlier Valdemar stuff. Last Herald mage is my favorite of that series. I also like her modern elves stuff, Diane Tregarde and the newest series with James Mallory. I can’t say I really cared for any of the later Valdemar trilogies. I’ve always that that the picture of Skandranon on the front of “The Black Gryphon” looks a little like the Windstones Black Griffin.

Nightcrow
                  Participant

I… am kind of a Lackey fan.

I adored her Valdemar novels when I was thirteen, but a year or so ago (I’m 25 now) I re-read it and, well, let’s just say the used bookstore got a big pile of books. πŸ™‚ I kept the Herald-Mage trilogy (Vanyel is so emo it’s hilarious), the Gryphon trilogy, The Oath trilogy, and two individual books (Winds of Fury and By the Sword), and let all the rest go. They’re the only ones I can still enjoy reading, though in some cases the reason for that enjoyment has changed.

I frankly can’t stand her newer Valdemar books. They read like they’re intended for sixth graders, and I’m bleedin’ well tired of being hit over the head with the SAME. BLOODY. MORAL. every time I pick up a new book.

On the other hand, I love some of her other novels very much, still. Children of the Night, Bedlam’s Bard, This Scepter’d Isle, the SERRAted Edge books (except for one of them)… these are all still on my shelves and I reread them frequently.

So I’m half a Lackey fan — not a Valdemar fan, but still a fan of many other Lackey series. πŸ™‚

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.