fbpx

Kohl777s PYO thread.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Kohl777s PYO thread.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Phoegonix
    Participant

Wow, the effect of that wash turned out great. I’m curious, how does a wash work, exactly? I have a PYO that I’ve been workng on for a while, and I need to add some depth to it once I’m satisfied with the over all colors. I bought staining media (the decoart stuff people have suggested before) but I’ve never actually done anything like it, so I’m quite nervous…

The way I do my washes is to take a very thin paint (VERY thin. This time I added water and slo-dri, but medium would have been a better choice), and apply it liberally to the whole piece. You can use different color washes for different areas for increased control over the exact results, but I’ve had very good results with a Payne’s Grey wash on most colors. The idea is to get the pigment to pool in the recessed areas, making shadows.

After my washes, I dry brush over the washed areas to bring the color back up. Occasionally I will do highlights over this, depending on the effect I’m going for. With a piece as colorful as my phoenix, the colors didn’t really need a brighter highlight.

It is very important to let your wash DRY. You can’t dry brush over wet, and those little nooks and crannies can hold moisture longer than you might expect.

I also brush coat my varnish on. I don’t trust spray clear coat after ruining several pieces because of the unpredictable outdoor conditions here.

Phoegonix
      Participant

Wow, the effect of that wash turned out great. I’m curious, how does a wash work, exactly? I have a PYO that I’ve been workng on for a while, and I need to add some depth to it once I’m satisfied with the over all colors. I bought staining media (the decoart stuff people have suggested before) but I’ve never actually done anything like it, so I’m quite nervous…

The way I do my washes is to take a very thin paint (VERY thin. This time I added water and slo-dri, but medium would have been a better choice), and apply it liberally to the whole piece. You can use different color washes for different areas for increased control over the exact results, but I’ve had very good results with a Payne’s Grey wash on most colors. The idea is to get the pigment to pool in the recessed areas, making shadows.

After my washes, I dry brush over the washed areas to bring the color back up. Occasionally I will do highlights over this, depending on the effect I’m going for. With a piece as colorful as my phoenix, the colors didn’t really need a brighter highlight.

It is very important to let your wash DRY. You can’t dry brush over wet, and those little nooks and crannies can hold moisture longer than you might expect.

I also brush coat my varnish on. I don’t trust spray clear coat after ruining several pieces because of the unpredictable outdoor conditions here.

Phoegonix
        Participant

Liquitex Gloss Varnish. I bought it at Hobby Lobby. I like the gloss on my dragon, but I wish I would have gone with satin for the phoenix.

Ela_Hara
          Participant

Thanks so much!
            I like the Liquitex line. I love using their Acrylics and Iridescent Medium. 🙂

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Bodine
            Participant

How’s the keeper coming along?I’m curious to see it finished.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Phoegonix
              Participant

He’s done and sent off to his new owner. I have a few cell phone pictures, I just need to upload them and post them. Unfortunately, his paint scheme was so dark that the pictures didn’t do him justice, but I love how he turned out. Gluing in all those rhinestones was a PAIN – but also turned out awesome. Pictures also don’t do them justice.

Phoegonix
                Participant

Double post!

Phoegonix
                  Participant

photo IMAG1858_zps3ehnzvmc.jpg

photo IMAG1859_zpsi3xuugme.jpg

photo IMAG1861_zpscqebkie2.jpg

Finished. It’s very difficult to photograph an almost black glossy dragon.

MandBsMom
                    Participant

Cool dragon!

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Adaneth
                      Participant

Neat effect! I hope the recipient loved him! 🙂

Phoegonix
                        Participant

The recipient liked him very much. I hope everyone noted the jewels. I don’t know how much they stand out in the pictures, but it’s a nice effect in person.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.