fbpx

Kohl777s PYO thread.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Kohl777s PYO thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Phoegonix
    Participant

photo IMAG1740_zpsp3ternb9.jpg

Just an update. Didn’t get to paint today, maybe tomorrow evening.

Phoegonix
      Participant

photo IMAG1746_zpsvfetulrf.jpg

This is the base coloring before applying the shading wash.

This step is always scary. It looks pretty good…lacks depth, but pretty good. Then you hit it with the wash.

photo IMAG1747_zpsmelsaxea.jpg

Now it looks dingy! It has depth, but everything is muddy! But don’t despair! This is all part of the plan.

Phoegonix
        Participant

photo IMAG1751_zpsyjmyau1f.jpg

And you just brush everything back up a little, and BAM! Depth and clarity. This bad boy is pretty much finished. The eyes aren’t glued yet, and I still need to clear coat him. I tend to use a brush on finish, because I don’t trust aerosol, especially after putting so much work in.

I’m really happy with how he turned out. I haven’t painted in a year or more, so I was worried that I’d be rusty, but this was amazing, start to finish.

Kim
          Blocked

Very nice! Great job!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

jmoore
            Participant

Wow – that looks really nice! I enjoy seeing the steps, too. Thanks for posting the in progress pictures!

Phoegonix
              Participant

photo IMAG1724_zpsyrbcn4ua.jpg

This is next!

Phoegonix
                Participant

photo IMAG1728_zpsjonuhfr3.jpg

Black base coat again. This is the keeper I want to be spangled with very small gems. After weighing my options, I don’t think flat backs are going to do what I want… So I broke out the pin vice.

photo IMAG1757_zpsa9ytqny6.jpg

The white dots are where I drilled very small indentations for stones to sit in.
                   photo IMAG1758_zpsdnjdfzzp.jpg

Another view of the holes. It worked like a charm, no crumbling, no mishaps. I’m really excited to dig into this one.

etruscan
                  Participant

The white dots are where I drilled very small indentations for stones to sit in.
                     photo IMAG1758_zpsdnjdfzzp.jpg

Another view of the holes. It worked like a charm, no crumbling, no mishaps. I’m really excited to dig into this one.

Black dragon with white holes – it looks like you already dug into this one. ๐Ÿ˜‰ (Sorry – somebody had to say it)

He should be beautiful when you have finished.

Angelika_Zen
                    Participant

I always enjoy progress shots…they educate me. I am not artistic whatsoever, and in my simple mind, the PYOs come out looking the way they do after 1 simple coat of paint lol….so yeah…I enjoy seeing the work that goes into them! Your Phoenix turned out great, and I’m anxious for the Keeper. Were you nervous drilling holes into it?

Thanks for sharing with us ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to seeing Orion (or whatever you decide to call her)!

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Phoegonix
                      Participant

I always enjoy progress shots…they educate me. I am not artistic whatsoever, and in my simple mind, the PYOs come out looking the way they do after 1 simple coat of paint lol….so yeah…I enjoy seeing the work that goes into them! Your Phoenix turned out great, and I’m anxious for the Keeper. Were you nervous drilling holes into it?

Thanks for sharing with us ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to seeing Orion (or whatever you decide to call her)!

Some people said that the gypsum tends to crumble when drilled. I decided I really wanted the look that setting the point-back rhinestones would give, so I went for it. Worst case scenario, order another keeper for this particular gift, repair the damaged one as best I could!

But it turned out great!

Process shots on this one are difficult. I primed him black, painted all the small scales a very dark blue, and now I’m going back and painting the large scales black again. Black on dark blue is a photography nightmare… But my inspiration is the night sky, so!

I’m debating edging the fancy scales in a dark silver to add some contrast. I’ll try to get some pictures later.

Phoegonix
                        Participant

photo IMAG1761_zpsx8sfeuc0.jpg

Update. My back is telling me to stop painting now, and my kids want to go to the pool.

Phoegonix
                          Participant

The white dots are the holes for stones. I had to paint them with white dots because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to find them after I painted.

Phoegonix
                            Participant

He’s done. He’s gorgeous. But pictures are a problem, as he’s a very dark midnight blue with black, who is glossy and has very bright rhinestones. The pictures don’t turn out.

Lauren
                              Participant

Wow, the effect of that wash turned out great. I’m curious, how does a wash work, exactly? I have a PYO that I’ve been workng on for a while, and I need to add some depth to it once I’m satisfied with the over all colors. I bought staining media (the decoart stuff people have suggested before) but I’ve never actually done anything like it, so I’m quite nervous…

Pegasi1978
                                Participant

He’s done. He’s gorgeous. But pictures are a problem, as he’s a very dark midnight blue with black, who is glossy and has very bright rhinestones. The pictures don’t turn out.

I feel your pain. I did one similar several years ago. I took it outside on a mostly sunny day in the afternoon to get puctures if I remember correctly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.