fbpx

Kohl777s PYO thread.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Kohl777s PYO thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Phoegonix
    Participant

I get the feeling I’m going to be doing a fair number of these, so I’ll start a thread like all the other awesome painters. I’m a dragon girl at heart, but my first PYO is going to be the phoenix because I don’t actually own any phoenixes, and I need to fix that.
       photo IMAG1721_zpsjjstx6eu.jpg

I’m still impressed by the blank sculpt. The level of detail didn’t really strike me until after I primed it, however.
       photo IMAG1727_zps5dhy7qyc.jpg

I just wanted to mention how perfect the dark orange eyes are. I am somewhat painting this like my phoenix tattoo, and the eye matches perfectly.
       photo IMAG1722_zpsrfjkbohz.jpg

So I’ve been painting on this for a couple of days now, and I think it’s coming along. I’m going to have to work on the body to have more contrast, but I’m concentrating on the wings at the moment.
       photo IMAG1729_zpsehwaxj1t.jpg
       photo IMAG1730_zpspf3g7pkr.jpg

This is lacking shading and highlight, so more just a color sample. More to come as I progress.

jmoore
      Participant

Looking good so far! I am not an artist so I always enjoy the in progress pictures.

MandBsMom
        Participant

I also like seeing in progress pics. It gives me an idea of how other people go about doing theirs. He’s looking nice so far!

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Phoegonix
          Participant

photo IMAG1731_zpsxgst425h.jpg

I’m going to try to smooth the transition between the colors a little. Then start on the tail.

Phoegonix
            Participant

photo IMAG1737_zpschmpg8vv.jpg

Smoothed the blending on the wings. I’m quite happy with it.

Ela_Hara
              Participant

Looking Very Good! I like your blending on the backs of the wings. Is it going to be a ‘fiery’ colored Phoenix all over, or just for the wings?
                ๐Ÿ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Phoegonix
                Participant

I want to go with a charcoal body, but I’m going to have to see how that actually looks with such bright plumage.

photo IMAG1737_zpschmpg8vv.jpg

Smoothed the blending on the wings. I’m quite happy with it.

I have so many ?’s, I hope you don’t mind answering them!?!

Like what kind of paint? What you do first the base color of you just paint? What Lind of brushes?

Phoegonix
                  Participant

Like what kind of paint? What you do first the base color of you just paint? What Lind of brushes?

I did a prime coat of golden cobalt black, then it takes 2-3 coats of paint to cover that. I wouldn’t usually use a black base for colors this bright, because I know I’m just making it harder, but the body is going to be darkish, and honestly once I shade all of this, it’ll be darker too.

My colors are all Reaper miniature paints. The only issue with them is that they are flat paints, but my Liquitex Slo-Dri glosses them right up.

Brushes, I prefer white or gold taklon. They clean easily, hold a nice point, and don’t seem to lose many hairs.

Prezaurian
                    Participant

Very cool. Still looking forward to how this turns out. Do you use the wash method for painting? Also, fantastic blending. The transition is very smooth.

Phoegonix
                      Participant

I can’t wet blend to save my life, I blend via a series of very thin washes. I intend on giving this shading with an all-over wash of Payne’s grey, then dry brushing back up the highlights.

Amstaff
                        Participant

Awesome ! Loving the colors so far, your doing a great job ๐Ÿ™‚

Prezaurian
                          Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ I can’t wet blend to save my life on these sculpts either. -laughs- The gypsum is just too thirsty I guess and even on canvas I have a rough time of it so on these guys…eh…. Plus speed has just NEVER been a specialty of mine. When I try to wet blend I always end up scrubbing with a brush and that just usually strips paint off instead of doing what I want. T_T

Falcolf
                            Participant

Looking really nice, wonderful subtle blending. ๐Ÿ˜€

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.