fbpx

KITTY ISSUES FROM HELL new pg5

Home Forums Miscellany Community KITTY ISSUES FROM HELL new pg5

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Rusti
    Participant

Try to associate good things with the kitten as far as Snickers is concerned. Put the kitten in the bathroom and feed Snickers some nice gushy food as a treat up against the bathroom door so she can hear and smell Sticky while she eats her Nice Food.

Feed her little cat treats while the kitten is out and about and she’s behaving and learn what her patience threshold is. Remove Sticky at the first sign of irritation from Snickers. The periods where she’s able to tolerate kitten *should* get longer.

It won’t happen overnight, but it’s not an impossible accomplishment, it’s just going to take some time.

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

LOL! She’s already so spolied rotton as it is. It will certainly be a challenge, but I understand and those are all very good suggestions I will definatly try.

I thought she may have caught the cold from the kitten somehow though they weren’t in direct contact until he was healthy again. Poor little guy had to stay in his kennel under quarantine in the attic, but you never know.

The good thing is to know she’s not in any major danger right now as far as her health goes. Though the vet was a complete douche at least I have some blood test results to show for it. It’s just trying to find a way to minimize the stress on her and then hopefully she will be back to her old self. 🙂

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

When my parents got Mothball, they had a similar situation with Sugar (shortly after her sister Mothball died). Sugar never liked Mothball until they both had a common ground… wanting to kill the other new intruder, Fluff, who came about 7 years later.

But they didn’t *try* to acclimitize Sugar to Mothball so hopefully it turns out better for you.

I though that URI can still be transmitted, even after the cat/kitten in healthy. Once Kimi got an URI, our boss put me to the dogs for the rest of the summer, to prevent accidental tranmission from my cat to the shelter ones. I don’t know if there’s a period for it or if I’m even right on the matter. For all I know I’m not.

Rusti????? You seem to know most of this stuff (certainly more then me! :D)

nessiemom
        Participant

I don’t know if it will help, but when my step-mom introduced their new kitten, she rubbed some baby powder (not a lot!) on the kitten and the older cat, that way they smell the same… It worked for her, but I don’t know if it’d work in your situation… I know you don’t want to overdo the baby powder because of ingestion…

There’s also stuff you can get at the pet store called Feliway that’s supposed to help calm them, plus the Rescue Remedy by Bach’s (flower essences), which I get from the health food store. I use the Rescue Remedy for Kami when I have to take him to the vet, and it works well for me…

Drag0n, I’m a nurse at a vet office. Is your kitty just coughing??? Not bringing up anything?? It may sound odd for a cat but maybe you should have her tested for heartworms. Even if she never goes outside, if a mosquito (that’s how they are carried) gets in you house and bites her and she is not on any type of prevention, she could get them. It’s VERY rare in cats because their immune system usually fights off initial infection so it is often over looked. blah blah blah sorry to ramble. but that’s what I would have them test for.

Just a suggestion. I hope she gets better!

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

Heather
          Participant

Cats are very territorial towards other cats. For a cat, the most stressful thing in the world is another cat in their living space. It always creates stress, even in a cat who seems to enjoy the company.

Separating the two will help a lot. Snickers needs to have some space that she can still call her own while she gets used to the idea of having another cat around. You might look into trying a feline facial pheromone plug-in (may help, or it may not do a bit of good) as well. Establish a pattern that assures Snickers that she’s still #1: pet her first, feed her first, sit down for a while in a room that you both like so that she can cuddle if she wants to. She’d appreciate a schedule very much, so try to establish one that fits in with your day. Make sure that she has a potty box that’s separate from the kitten’s! It’s not unusual for a cat to get turned off by a box that smells like another cat. The same goes for food and water dishes.

That white blood cell count: Laboratory normal ranges will vary. There is a lot of flex in what’s “normal” and generally you have to go by whatever the lab that did the bloodwork considers the normal range. You can get an idea of how Snickers’ WBC compared to the lab’s normal range just by getting a copy of her bloodwork: generally the lab normals are printed alongside each reading. Also, if the kitten came in with an upper-respiratory infection, then Snickers has been exposed and may still be fighting against it. A lot of these infections are viral and so can be a real nuisance: sometimes they take hold within a week, and other times it’s a real tug-of-war for a few weeks before the battle is decided.

Keep an eye on Snickers’ appetite and her energy levels. Cats don’t like to admit that they’re sick and they’ll try to hide it from you, so you have to watch them more closely than you would a dog. Cats don’t believe in making it easy for us. 😉

By the way, this goes for where I live, not sure about the rules where ever you live, but if your cat ever did bite anyone for whatever reason and she didn’t have a rabies vaccine up to date, the most they would do here is quarantine her for up to 10 days in a room in your house just to make sure she develop symptoms or pass away suddenly. a few months ago I was bit by a german shepherd whose rabies shot was expired by more than a month and all they did was have them quarantine him by keeping him in their garage for 10 days and monitor him…that’s all.

But what your vet told you just sounds…well…evil and wrong.

My most wanted list: Peacock kitty wizard, carnelian mouse wizard, copper patina frog wizard, autumn leaf poads, pumpkin spice kitties

Rusti
            Participant

the dragon collector wrote:

Drag0n, I’m a nurse at a vet office. Is your kitty just coughing??? Not bringing up anything?? It may sound odd for a cat but maybe you should have her tested for heartworms. Even if she never goes outside, if a mosquito (that’s how they are carried) gets in you house and bites her and she is not on any type of prevention, she could get them. It’s VERY rare in cats because their immune system usually fights off initial infection so it is often over looked. blah blah blah sorry to ramble. but that’s what I would have them test for.

The problem with trying to test a cat for heartworm disease is that it’s a very dicey thing. There hasn’t been a lot of research done on feline heartworm disease, and most tests aren’t accurate. The best way to make sure your cat doesn’t get HWD is to start it on prevention before 6 months.

As for rabies, here’s a little tidbit that may be of interest: after the infecting bite occurs, it can take anywhere from 5 to 50 days for symptoms to manifest (the further the bite is from your brain, the longer it takes) and once symptoms do manifest (dumbness, inability to swallow, rage, etc.) it’s fatal within 10 days. If the animal died during that 10 day quarantine period, it’s head would be sent in for testing and everyone exposed would receive the lovely course of shots we’ve all heard horror stories about.

Unless you’re like me, and are actually vaccinated against rabies because of your profession.

Rusti wrote:

the dragon collector wrote:

The problem with trying to test a cat for heartworm disease is that it’s a very dicey thing. There hasn’t been a lot of research done on feline heartworm disease, and most tests aren’t accurate. The best way to make sure your cat doesn’t get HWD is to start it on prevention before 6 months.

As for rabies, here’s a little tidbit that may be of interest: after the infecting bite occurs, it can take anywhere from 5 to 50 days for symptoms to manifest (the further the bite is from your brain, the longer it takes) and once symptoms do manifest (dumbness, inability to swallow, rage, etc.) it’s fatal within 10 days. If the animal died during that 10 day quarantine period, it’s head would be sent in for testing and everyone exposed would receive the lovely course of shots we’ve all heard horror stories about.

Unless you’re like me, and are actually vaccinated against rabies because of your profession.

I know about the rabies and how long it takes for symptoms to develop, and if the animal died in the 10 day quarantine period they’d have to send in the head for all that jazz. Drag0n wrote that the vet said that if the cat attacked someone they’d cut off the head and send it away for testing…it sounded like the vet mentioned nothing about the quarantine. That’s all I was pointing out…

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Oh geeze, Heartworm? *gulp* Would that have showed up in the blood test? I know for sure I have nothing to worry about with rabies. None of my animals can either catch it cause they are indoors 100% of the time and the dog is all vaccinated and hes the only one who goes out, and even so. It’s a fenced in yard for potty and leashed walks only, but JUST INCASE you can never be too careful. I see loose animals all the time in my neighborhood and if any of them ever bit my dog, he’s protected.

I don’t think the baby powder will work since Snickers HATES flea powder and I’m sure I’ll get the same angry reaction from her, but it’s on the right idea. Maybe I could shampoo them both in something similar. I’m not too sure if the “associating good things with the kitten” will work as far as treats and things like that go, but it’s worth a try. She’s very smart and VERY spiteful. I think she’s too clever for that trick, but I’ll try anything at this point to make the transition easier for her.

*sigh* How can you hate this little face!?!?

My dog seems to have taken a shine to him already

…and he’s already got the same habits as my boyfriend! Even the innocent “We didn’t do it!” smile!

…he may be a CRAZY KITTEN! but deep down he’s an angel.

I think Snickers just prefers a giant wolf would just eat him up!

I know it’s a serious…. but I couldn’t resist posting some new photos… and a little part of me wants to celebrate that Snickers is going to be okay 😀

Got a busted Windstone?
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Amanda
                Participant

OMG the look on his face when he’s on your BFs shoulder! Hahaha!!! What a cutie!

My vet told me that when one cat comes home from the vet and smells funny, take a towel and rub it on vet cat, then on the home cat so they smell alike. Or, maybe you could take something the kitten sleeps on and move it to where your other cat is so she gets used to the smell?

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

I wonder? That might work.

She doesn’t even have to smell him though. Just him being in sight get’s her to give him that dagger stare of death and if he gets within 2 or 3 feet of her the hissing overture begins. She won’t get violet with him though unless he charges at her and gets within striking distance, but she just bops him on the head, no claws. Since it doesn’t seem to phase him he just keeps chasing her, but he’s just trying to play. I’ve been using a little squirt gun to try and get him to stop harassing her. 🙄

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Okay so now we’re back in the same boat… Snickers is sick again! I kennel the baby for a few hours and she snaps right out of it and she’s fine. Kitty comes out and she’s hissing, spitting, gagging, and now throwing up and peeing on the furniture. When she was smaller she used to pee in my bed sometimes, but I think it was more out of spite when I was gone for long peroids of time, and it’s been years since the last time that happened, but I think it’s cause she is angry about the kitten.

In any case, i feel like my only option would be to get rid of one of them…. Obviously I don’t want to and I don’t want to choose a new kitten over my cat I’ve had forever. ARGH!!! I wish she would just snap out of this…

My only option is to give Snickers to my mother where she can be happy and live in a quiet home. I just would feel awful, like I picked the kitten over her, but otherwise the kitten would have to go to a shelter…. *sob*

Any new advise?

Got a busted Windstone?
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin

NirvanaCat13
                      Participant

Oh Drag0n I know how you feel and send you big hugs. It’s such a hard decision and I don’t know that I can give any advice in good conscience. There are many solutions, like finding a friend that will take the kitten or one of the humane “no kill” policy shelters. If you take Snickers to your moms she will forgive you and always be your cat, no matter what. My two cats are at my moms, we can’t have them because Louis and his dad are highly allergic, but they are definitely still MY cats LoL!

I hope a solution presents itself to you soon! Big hugs!

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

Thanks Nirvana… I don’t even approve of no kill shelters… all the do is ship them off to a shelter who does worst case scenario. I knwo they put in some extra effort, but woth an unadoptable animal it’s still the same end result. I just don’t trust them.

*sigh*

I honestly think she would be much happier with my mother. It’s not like she likes any of the animals in the house imparticular, but none so bad it literally makes her sick. She used to love living with her years ago, but I would feel awful going to bed at night with a new kitten cuddling up next to me while she is in another house. Like I traded her in or something…

Got a busted Windstone?
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.