fbpx

Kitties and Birds

Home Forums Miscellany Community Kitties and Birds

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

The large birds, like cockatoos require a ton of attention. Just think of them as perpetual toddlers. lol They are very smart and get bored and lonely. I’ve never had a large one, but two of my friends have macaws and one has an amazon and they tell me all sorts of stories. They are lovable and great company, but lots of work.

Here, the keets have each other for company, as do the rosellas. The rosellas aren’t hand birds, anyway, unless you count “taking off a couple of fingers”. lol The bourke is next to the keets, so he’s good. The conure gets taken out everyday. We talk and whistle to them a lot. We make sure all of them have lots of toys, too. Some play with them and some couldn’t care less. :shrug:

Even so, Gypsy, the mealy rosella got bored and unscrewed the bolts that hold the door to his food dish. He escaped and flew around, ending up behind the couch. The cats were smart enough to leave him alone, though. That beak could easily take off a toe or two! Little Nicky, the eastern rosella, stayed put. πŸ˜€

Starbreeze
      Participant

Prison break!!! XD

Skigod377
        Participant

LOL They sound pretty smart. I would like one of the larger birds, but not utill I retire. Once I am older, I will probably like the companionship and appreciate not having to take it for a walk. 😈

Jennifer
          Keymaster

It takes a special sort of person to keep some of the more intelligent parrots, I think! They are so, so so different than our mammalian pets in terms of communication that I think most of the behavior ‘problems’ people have with them is just due to cross-species miscommunication. Some parrots are more needy than others and that goes for individuals as well. They ARE a lot like kids… but they are like children that don’t speak your language and so there is a huge potential to screw up. What I always recommend is that people that really want a large bird spend as much time with them before they bring one home as possible. Just like cats and dogs there are tons of rescues that have these guys, and you can ‘foster’ one for a while. This works out really well– it gives you a taste for what it’s like without making a lifelong commitment. And truly, parrots ARE a lifelong commitment. Even budgies and cockatiels should ideally live for at least 15-20 years, and larger parrots can live for 40… 60… 80+ years! That’s a big commitment. It’s like having kids that stay mentally around 5 years old for your entire life.

http://mytoos.com/ is a site I usually give people to look at when they consider cockatoos and some of the other large birds. Now, mind you, it is one of those sites designed to evoke an emotional response. (mind your speakers!!) But, the site brings up many really valid points that most people don’t consider when looking at these guys as companions. And it does not exaggerate that many, many birds DO become self-mutilating.

Check out how many parrots are given up on Petfinder alone. Remember, these aren’t ‘strays’ like cats and dogs… these are given up by their owners.
            http://www.petfinder.com/breeds/Bird

Check out this rescue. http://mickaboo.com/ SO MANY people are getting rid of their macaws that they can no longer take them in! And they are one of the largest in the nation. Why are people getting rid of their birds? Same reasons they get rid of other animals.. very expensive, time consuming and difficult to care for properly.

I’m not trying to scare anyone off of pet birds. Just wanted to share some food for thought. πŸ™‚ I have seen so much bad in this part of the pet ‘trade’ that I had to say something.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

lamortefille
            Participant

Fostering sounds like a really good idea, Jen! The links are great…people really need to research before they adopt any pet, but esp. birds. It’s so sad to see so many birds in need of a good home. πŸ™

You’re right about their long lifespans. They can easily outlive you and it’s best to have someone set up in advance that is willing to give (or find) them a good home. My friend has already left instructions on how to contact me, if something happens to her and her husband. Her kids have no interest in their macaw and they want to make sure she is taken care of. We are also slated to take care of the amazon someday. I hope their owners live a very long time or we’ll be building an addition!

lamortefille
              Participant

skigod377 wrote:

LOL They sound pretty smart. I would like one of the larger birds, but not utill I retire. Once I am older, I will probably like the companionship and appreciate not having to take it for a walk. 😈

You can walk them, but they get rather heavy after a bit. πŸ˜†

Starbreeze
                Participant

You’re silly!! XD

Skigod377
                  Participant

Thanks for all the advice. I didnt know that fostering was possible, nor did I know they were given up so readily. Im sure they are snatched up pretty quickly… despite the huge price tag. Are they? Before I commit to any animal, I make sure I am ready to give it a quality, life long home… thats why I only have the dogs, cat, and rabbit and not the birds, turtles, and fish that Justin has been begging me for. I dont have the patience or the facilities to give them a nice enough place, nor do I really know enough about them.

lamortefille
                    Participant

We know you Ski and I’m quite sure you would research before you tried any new pet. πŸ˜‰ Tell Justin he can help out with the new baby instead of getting any more pets… 8) ….or you’ll end up like this: 😈

Starbreeze
                      Participant

Why is it, no matter what pets you have, kids always want the ones you don’t have? :scratch:

Skigod377
                        Participant

I have no idea, but Justin wants a small dog… probably because he grew up with Rab and Moocah. Kids, and most adults for that matter, are never happy with what they have. I guess that is what keeps us striving for more… not a bad thing, in many situations, I guess.

I checked out the links, Nam, esp the 1st one. I will def have to remember this topic should my husband ever mention wanting a ‘too again. Thank you!

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Finally! A big news company did a story on this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5101167n&tag=contentMain;contentBody

Well worth a watch!!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

people who claim they want a cockatoo i send to that site,cockatoos are one of the most complicated parrot species it’s why i dont own one and never will,i did my research before i got any parrots,lucky my sister already had a pionus for many years so i already knew what i was getting into,truth be told the relationship you have with a parrot is so much different than that of a dog or a cat,it truly is like having a permanent two to five year old depending on the species,though they are now saying that the african grey is as intelligent as the dolphin,with birds the best training method is positive reinforcement yes you need to do at least some basic training,they also need foraging enrichment as well as toys and a verity of healthy foods not just seed or pellets tossed in a bowl this is part of the reason there is pluckers and self mutilators,what do wild birds do most of the day they forage and work for their food,do i think the two different species of parrot that i have are hard to take care of no not really i just have to be more creative with them(but i will say this when you have a bird that trusts and snuggles up to you and says i love you it just melts your heart) :yes:

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.