fbpx

Kinda dumb question about crystal gems

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Kinda dumb question about crystal gems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Skeeterdeee
    Participant

Skeeterdeee
      Participant

I want to join the PYO swap this year, so I’m working on a keeper for practice (testing some new paints and such that I’ve never used). I bought a couple special crystal gems from a Swarovski dealer online and my question is: Does anyone put their gems on BEFORE they seal their project? Will it ruin the sparkle of the crystal or will it help to hold the crystal more securely? I’m worried that by gluing them on AFTER I seal it over time they will fall off and get lost (and they’re kinda nice, I would hate to lose them or ruin them). I’ve been using a high gloss spray sealer.

Opinions?

Illith
        Participant

I usually put mine in afterwards sealing them. I have a pair of surgery tweezers that are really small and hold the gems pretty easily. I’ve never really tried spraying the sealer on the crystals to see what happens, but I don’t think anything good would come out of it. ๐Ÿ˜•

Hannah
          Participant

I’ve been told that spraying after putting the eyes in/uncovering the horns (in the case of Kirins for example)/putting the gems in can possibly ruin them.

Key word: possibly!

I would spray first and put the gems on afterward if I were you. I use a clear glue called Aleene’s Clear Gel – it’s very thick and I never worry about my gems, eyes, etc moving around after I’ve glued them because it holds them in place very well. I’ve also had an issue where I used a little bit too much extra glue and it oozed out around the edges of my gem (in the tail of a keeper). It dried nice and flat, and I don’t even see the extra glue anymore.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
            Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Purplecat
            Participant

I tried it once and it fogged up the crystal….Luckily I tried it out on a piece I’d already ruined. ๐Ÿ™‚

PurpleTurtle
              Participant

Yep – my gems go in after I clear-coat. The clear coat will fog up the gem, as purplecat said, unless you cover them prior to spraying.

Kujacker
                Participant

I never affix anything until after I clear coat.

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

I’ve done it both ways and it has been fine. I use a spray on sealer. USUALLY I put them in after though.

Got a busted Windstone?
                    drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin
                    Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                    Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                    Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                    Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                    Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                    Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Skeeterdeee
                    Participant

Thanks, guys!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I have used sealer over a keeper’s eyes once and it didn’t ruin them at all, but one time I forgot to cover a kirin’s horn and ruined the horn. I wasn’t sure about a crystal. I’ll try the Aleene’s clear glue, I know I’ve seen that kind at Michael’s. I’ve used Aleene’s Tacky Glue on crafts and it’s a great glue.

Hannah
                      Participant

Yep, that’s where I got mine! Michaels will surely have it ๐Ÿ™‚

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.