fbpx

Just saw the theater trailer for "The Golden Compass&qu

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Just saw the theater trailer for "The Golden Compass&qu

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

The Catholic School Board here has pulled the book from all library shelves and refuses to distribute the book order form that has “the golden compass” in it

I’m finally getting around to reading it, better late than never and it comes in a nice trade paperback set now πŸ˜€ and so far really see nothing I would be worried about. It’s a young adults/adults fantasy novel. PC and Nam have VERY good points. I’ve heard that the author and movie studio are looking at it as free publicity, way to look at the bright side. When you pull or ban a book it generally makes people want to read it to find out what all the fuss is about.

Purplecat
      Participant

Bah! The movie was great and I think it’s just another fantasy movie, a well put together one I might add. It’s possible (although i would like to read the sequels before entirely committing to this)….It’s possible that people are discriminating this book just due to the author’s religious preferences. Now off to read the books in depth to confirm…. πŸ™‚

Akeyla
        Participant

I didnt say the story was bad, in my opinion it was a great story in the hands of a bad regisseur.

the movie did not flow as I would have expected it to flow. Meaning I personally felt a clash between the imaginary figures and their doing and them being on screen. The movie did not convince me, it missed something vital, same I missed in Beowulf too. special effects were nice and so was Iorek and the general idea of daemons. Guess I am a harsh fantasy movie rater πŸ˜‰
          Havent read the book but I will.

purplecat wrote:

Bah! The movie was great and I think it’s just another fantasy movie, a well put together one I might add. It’s possible (although i would like to read the sequels before entirely committing to this)….It’s possible that people are discriminating this book just due to the author’s religious preferences. Now off to read the books in depth to confirm…. πŸ™‚

Haven’t seen the movie yet, but the books are very anti-religious. Specifically anti-Catholic, but anti-religious in general. As blatant about it as the Narnia Chronicles are about being pro-Christian. it was one of the first things I noticed when I read them. There is not bias against the author because of his religion. Atheism is almost the point of the books.

Some of the things I saw in the news indicated that author was actually extremely peeved that that aspect of the book was watered down for the movies.

I personally don’t have a problem with the books, but I could see why some people would, and they would have a legitimate complaint.

lamortefille
          Participant

Thanks for that input, RiDuvessa. I guess the first book at least, is worth a read. I think I made it through the first 3 Narnia books and didn’t notice anything pro-Christian about them, so I should be all right (maybe I’m dense lol). I’m not pro or anti any religion… I just want to read a good story.

If you (or anyone) would like to comment about what was pro-Christian in Narnia, I would love to hear it.

Maria
            Participant

It’s been a while since I read the books, and I really disliked the movie. It seemed to have been made too lovelessly.
              Aside from the fact that C.S. Lewis, author of the Narnia Chronicles, was one of the greatest Christian apologists, the story in Narnia is based off the Bible, with Aslan being King and Creator, like God, and sacrificing himself to save the children of Adam. Throughout the stories there are various references to Biblical happenings or sayings.

Purplecat
              Participant

lamortefille wrote:

Thanks for that input, RiDuvessa. I guess the first book at least, is worth a read. I think I made it through the first 3 Narnia books and didn’t notice anything pro-Christian about them, so I should be all right (maybe I’m dense lol). I’m not pro or anti any religion… I just want to read a good story.

If you (or anyone) would like to comment about what was pro-Christian in Narnia, I would love to hear it.

I must be somewhat dense as well! I didn’t catch on with the Narnia cronicles til the very last book when I went “Whoa!! I GET that now!” when everything was remade just like in Revelation. It has been several years since I read the book, so I may not be remembering quite as well as I think…and I may have caught on more to the atheist part of the book had I read the sequels. I did like the movie though, the only part I didn’t care for in the movie was that the girl Lyra seemed arrogant to me at times. 8)

lamortefille
                Participant

Ooooooh, I see. *nods* Thanks!! Yup, I’m dense. πŸ˜†

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.