fbpx

Just saw the theater trailer for "The Golden Compass&qu

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Just saw the theater trailer for "The Golden Compass&qu

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

Somebody sent this to me in one of those “boycott the movie” emails. I would like the opinions of those that read the first book or whole series. Are they blowing the whole anti-religious thing out of proportion? Is it something blatantly obvious or something suggested?

I know we are all from different religious backgrounds and I am NOT trying to start any controversy. I would just like some educated opinions/observations regarding the book(s). I haven’t read them as yet and I’m trying to decide if I want to check them out. Thanks!

Edited for grammar. πŸ™„

Purplecat
      Participant

Now I feel like I need to go and read the book! I hadn’t heard about it at all! πŸ˜€

lamortefille wrote:

Somebody sent this to me in one of those “boycott the movie” emails. I would like the opinions of those that read the first book or whole series. Are they blowing the whole anti-religious thing out of proportion? Is it something blatantly obvious or something suggested?

I know we are all from different religious backgrounds and I am NOT trying to start any controversy. I would just like some educated opinions/observations regarding the book(s). I haven’t read them as yet and I’m trying to decide if I want to check them out. Thanks!

Edited for grammar. πŸ™„

Funny I was just going to post a link to Snopes myself. πŸ™‚ I also don’t want to start a controversy however I do think it is important to be informed about something like this. especially if you have children you want to take. And Even more so because most people I’ve talked to about the movie are under the impression that the series is like Narnia or Lord of The Rings. They are intended to be just the opposite.
        From what I understand the theme is watered down for the movie. The author and director have been very up front as to content and intention. The books are more obvious and the whole theme becomes more obvious in the sequels.
        Snopes does cover the whole thing pretty well.

As to whether or not to read or watch? Because I have strong beliefs I’m choosing not to. Not because I think anything bad will happen πŸ™„ πŸ˜†

I’m just not interested in going to or reading something I personally would find objectionable. I also wouldn’t want to influence any one around me to go. btw I pretty much don’t watch any R rated movies for the same reasons. content I find objectionable I mean not necessarily anti-Christian. πŸ˜‰
        Too bad they don’t edit them for TV like they used too πŸ˜› Any how I hope some of this rambling helps!

Maebnus
        Participant

Hmm… I just bought the books, since they sounded interesting & several people here seemed to like them. I had no idea when I might start them, but this actually makes me curious. I might just have to bump them to the top of my list now and get started.

My own beliefs are complicated to explain, but I have no objection to religious stuff (unless forced to choke on it) or non-religious stuff. But I do like controversy… and good stories. This should be interesting….

Maria
          Participant

Well, I haven’t read the books, but after my brother told me the same thing lamorte’s link said, I decided I wasn’t going to watch the movies.

Purplecat
            Participant

I just read the link…hmmm…I like to read controversial stuff and then base my own opinions of it so I figure it’s best to go ahead and read it first. Depending on the books I may or may not go to the movie.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I’ll admit to being confused… to view a movie with a different religious theme than the one you follow, or even one that supportive of atheism- how can that be harmful? I am of the opinion that one can remain very true and dedicated to their faith of choice, and still learn about others. It bothers me when parents, especially, completely shield their children from the fact that religions other than their own even exist, as if by putting their heads in the sand they can make the world around them stop existing. Teaching tolerance and open-mindedness would go a long way in the world today. Expose yourself to different things, cultures, ideas.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Purplecat
                Participant

If your faith is strong and you are comfortable with yourself, ideas and viewpoints contrary to your own are harmless. They can educate you and let you see things from someone else’s point of view. So, in essence, I second Nam. πŸ™‚

I agree with Nam and Purplecat 100%.

I’m almost completely an atheist, and I saw the Chronicles of Narnia, and love the books. You don’t necessarily have to agree with the morals in order to enjoy a story. But then, that’s just my opinion.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

purplecat wrote:

If your faith is strong and you are comfortable with yourself, ideas and viewpoints contrary to your own are harmless. They can educate you and let you see things from someone else’s point of view. So, in essence, I second Nam. πŸ™‚

Thanks! That was what I was so unsuccessfully trying to say/ask, and was the source of my confusion. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

lamortefille
                    Participant

Nambroth wrote:

purplecat wrote:

Thanks! That was what I was so unsuccessfully trying to say/ask, and was the source of my confusion. πŸ™‚

I agree with that, too and also respect the personal decisions to see/read or not to see/read.

I’m still wondering if they are they blowing the whole anti-religious thing out of proportion? Is it something blatantly obvious or something merely suggested (in the books)? Is it something mentioned in a line or two or something the author is trying to hammer into the reader? Anybody that has read them care to chime in?

I rarely go with critical acclaim (read pushing by the media), nor would I go by the ranting of anti-whatever zealots. Is this “campaign to boycott” something akin to people saying Proctor & Gamble are satanists or other product bashing hoaxes? I’m just curious, is all.

Akeyla
                      Participant

Never experienced a homepage being better than a movie… but yes this is fact.
                        If you loved Beowulf you’ll like this one too, but… in short: @ Greater Basilisk: get the DVD. or prepare with pillow against non movie fantasy nice flows… something.
                        I are is disappointed fluff, so much good karma when I walked to the cinema.
                        *goes sulk on goldencompassmovie.com homepage*

Purplecat
                        Participant

I’ll be going to see it tonight. I wanted to go, so I am. πŸ˜€

Jasmine
                          Participant

I’ll be seeing it on Sunday.

I’ll be probably seeing it once it’ll be released on DVD and I can rent it. XD I am too miserly and, above all, lazy to go to the movies.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.