fbpx

Just Popping In…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Just Popping In…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

To say hello! To anyone interested–I know I haven’t been on here for a while and I have been quite busy. My classes have started and I’m learning the clinical stuff now for my medical assistant certificate. I’m learning how to take vital signs and give injections and it is a challenge! There is a bit of a juggling going on as you’re trying to get a blood pressure and deal with the pump, stethoscope and listening to artery sounds. I’m doing a little better than I was–it really intimidated me at first.

The injections–that is another story–I’m having trouble just getting the hand coordination for a TB test–not that easy. Injections may not be my biggest skill and I don’t know if I’ll ever get it down. I’m still trying.

I am volunteering at a local hospital and finished my training and am trying out the Cardiac Procedure Unit–the patients come in for their appointments and I call back to the head nurse to let her know that so-and-so is here and she’ll either tell me to send them back or hold them up because they’re too early. When the patient gets hooked up, they call me to send a family member back to see them. People come in and inquire about a loved one having a procedure and again, I call the head nurse and tell her that so-and-so’s family is here. She then tells me either to send them back or they have to wait. Very simple.

I’m at this unit at 6:30 in the morning and a secretary comes in around 10AM and takes over. I’m thinking hmmmmm–I can be here at this time every day if they wanted someone on a regular basis–I’ll wait and see what happens.

So far so good–had some printer and computer problems that I needed to attend to–technology is so wonderful when it works, but when it craps out on you–agggghhhhh! My year-old printer decided to develop printhead problems just a few days after the warranty runs out. I also was having problems with my laptop and they said it was software problems and guess what–my warranty only covers the hardware! I figured if I’m gonna pay someone, I want to see who they are and not have someone talk me through a process where I’d most likely screw up anyway. I went to Staples and got a new HP wireless printer that has ePrint–can print from anywhere by sending through an ePrint e-mail address. They fixed my laptop and even installed the printer to my PC and laptop. So far so good–it’s working beautifully right now–I’ll see in six months. Always some headache creeping up.

That’s it for now–not exactly an exciting life I’m living here. I have to keep hands off Windstones for a while until I’m financially secure–whenever that will be. Who knows, I might be putting up some of my pretties for sale.

Thanks for reading! 😀

Rachel
      Participant

Hiiii!! Glad to hear from you. Sounds like things are going fairly well. Keep on keeping on!

twindragonsmum
        Participant

We’ve missed you!!! How great that your schooling is going well – I am sooo proud of you!!

twindragonsmum :love:

tdm

LadyFirebird
          Participant

Another milestone–did my first successful TB practice tests on an actual person. Went better than I thought–so I just might be getting the hang of this!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.