fbpx

July 28- Raven is now resting in peace.

Home Forums Miscellany Community July 28- Raven is now resting in peace.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Bob

Zephyr wrote:

My family and I just went through another cat ordeal yesterday if you can believe it. I had debated whether or not I should post about it because I didn’t want it to look as if I was trying to overshadow anyone, but I swear this actually happened. My other cat Simba (he’s Milo’s brother) had been steadily losing weight and drinking a lot, though he still appeared energetic and playful. It became enough of a concern however that we finally scheduled a vet appointment, and they were able to squeeze him in at 3:00pm yesterday. We thought that he could have diabetes, and though we were afraid that it could be something a lot worse, our philosophy has always been that it’s better to catch something early while it’s still potentially treatable. Anyway, our vet immediately detected via palpation a tiny pea-sized lump on Simba’s neck, and a blood test confirmed his suspicions — Hyperthyroidism. This also explained our cat’s thinning fur and dry skin. We were so relieved that it wasn’t serious, and we’ll just have to administer a little tuna-flavored medication daily in wet cat food, hopefully he doesn’t put up a fight. Apparently the meds also come in pill form, and I know that Greenies brand manufactures cat treats that are designed to enclose pills, so there’s always that option. I couldn’t believe it, it cost $300 solely for the blood test, but of course it was worth it. Now I really can’t spend any money, but I just thought I’d share my story. I mean, Milo’s constipation was at least a few years ago, but we only found out about this yesterday. I’ll see what works with my cat, so if your Raven has to take medication, I could always provide some tips as to what might work in getting a cat to take medication. I’m rooting for you all way — I hope that Raven is able to make a full recovery as soon as possible.

WOW another Simba owner! My 3rd is Simba
      I’m sorry to hear about both your sad situations. I hope everything works out for the best all the way around
      BDW if WE decide to donate to you and do it on our own it’s a gift, we know you well enough to know you are not trying to milk your situations

Dragon Master wrote:

WOW another Simba owner! My 3rd is Simba
      I’m sorry to hear abotu both yoru sat situations. I hope everythign worls out for the best all the way around
      BDW if WE decide to donate to you and do it on our own it’s a gift, we know you well enough to know you are not trying to milk your situations

Thanks Dragon Master — I still see a lot of Simbas up for adoption in the Pennysaver. I got Milo and Simba when I was about eight, so that would make them both fourteen at the very least. Just you wait, after the Hobbit movies come out there are going to be even more cats named Bilbo. ๐Ÿ˜†

@ Blackdesertwind
      I will donate to you if you allow it because I want to help, though I simply cannot afford to buy expensive Windstones at this time for the reasons I stated. Poor Raven, ๐Ÿ™ I am all too familiar with your situation, but not the bringing up blood part — that concerns me.

Laurie
      Participant

Well, not Bilbo, but I do have a Frodo. And I have BDW’s paypal email. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

BDW
        Participant

Laurie wrote:

And I have BDW’s paypal email. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

No, no, NO! :spank:
          :scratch: You know I think this is the reason why some members don’t like me because you guys have helped me to much already, so please don’t. :nea:
          But thank you for the offer Zephyr, dragon master, darjeb and Laurie ๐Ÿ™‚
          It warms my heart.

BDW
          Participant

Raven hate some soft food tonight and he didn’t through up his dry food from this morning or tonight yet. “Crosses fingers”
            Those cans of Medi cal fiber are expensive! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Hope I don’t have to keep feeding him those for the rest of his life. I though his regular Science diet expensive ๐Ÿ™„

BDW
            Participant

Zephyr wrote:

I think that there is also a laxative product available for cats that you rub on their paws so that they lick it off; I can try to find some info about that.
              I also hope that your son is all right, you had said that he’d been ill.

I do have some of that, it’s called Laxatone and I’m using it on him.
              My son is better but I still want to get him tested and my doctor’s appointment is only in september ๐Ÿ™

BDW
              Participant

Zephyr wrote:

My family and I just went through another cat ordeal yesterday if you can believe it. I had debated whether or not I should post about it because I didn’t want it to look as if I was trying to overshadow anyone, but I swear this actually happened. My other cat Simba (he’s Milo’s brother) had been steadily losing weight and drinking a lot, though he still appeared energetic and playful. It became enough of a concern however that we finally scheduled a vet appointment, and they were able to squeeze him in at 3:00pm yesterday. We thought that he could have diabetes, and though we were afraid that it could be something a lot worse, our philosophy has always been that it’s better to catch something early while it’s still potentially treatable. Anyway, our vet immediately detected via palpation a tiny pea-sized lump on Simba’s neck, and a blood test confirmed his suspicions — Hyperthyroidism. This also explained our cat’s thinning fur and dry skin. We were so relieved that it wasn’t serious, and we’ll just have to administer a little tuna-flavored medication daily in wet cat food, hopefully he doesn’t put up a fight. Apparently the meds also come in pill form, and I know that Greenies brand manufactures cat treats that are designed to enclose pills, so there’s always that option. I couldn’t believe it, it cost $300 solely for the blood test, but of course it was worth it. Now I really can’t spend any money, but I just thought I’d share my story. I mean, Milo’s constipation was at least a few years ago, but we only found out about this yesterday. I’ll see what works with my cat, so if your Raven has to take medication, I could always provide some tips as to what might work in getting a cat to take medication. I’m rooting for you all way — I hope that Raven is able to make a full recovery as soon as possible.

I’m sorry about your cat, Zephyr. I’m glad to hear it’s not to serious. It’s never fun when our animals are sick ๐Ÿ™ makes us worry alot!
                $300 for a blood test?! ouch! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                Now I’m definitely getting my son tested first for Helicobacter Pylori

I’m so sorry to hear that Raven’s still sick. ๐Ÿ™ I really do hope this clears up, I hate it when our babies are sick.

(hugs)

And Zephyr, when I started reading your post about Simba it reminded me of my parent’s Fluff, right when his kidneys were starting to fail. So I’m glad to hear it was something less serious then that. ๐Ÿ™‚

BDW
                Participant

I gave Raven some of the medi cal fiber can food. He was fine last night but this afternoon when I came back I notice that he through up in the livingroom (big amount), a small amount in the passageway and then a big amount again in front of his litter box. Not good! ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™„

Dragon87 wrote:

I’m so sorry to hear that Raven’s still sick. ๐Ÿ™ I really do hope this clears up, I hate it when our babies are sick.

(hugs)

And Zephyr, when I started reading your post about Simba it reminded me of my parent’s Fluff, right when his kidneys were starting to fail. So I’m glad to hear it was something less serious then that. ๐Ÿ™‚
                  Yes, that’s why we were afraid. I know precisely what you’re describing because (as I stated in an earlier post) I lost my Siamese Marcello five years ago to kidney failure. ๐Ÿ™ He was ancient though — almost twenty years old.

Blackdesertwind wrote:

I gave Raven some of the medi cal fiber can food. He was fine last night but this afternoon when I came back I notice that he through up in the livingroom (big amount), a small amount in the passageway and then a big amount again in front of his litter box. Not good! ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™„

My best guess is that he is impacted, and if that is the case there is little you can do other than get him to the vet’s office and have them clean him out. Now this is gross, but due to my gastrointestinal conditions I have actually been impacted myself, and in my experience, once a person (or cat) reaches that stage, no amount of fiber will likely help. At one point, I actually had to get myself a prescription for a laxative called Half-Go-Lightly, which was used to prep patients for colonoscopies before gastroenterologists began switching to MiraLAX. Because this cannot be administered to cats in the necessary quantities, I think what they do instead is give the cat an enema to soften the stool, and then suction it out manually while the cat’s under anesthesia or something. (I’ll have to ask my dad when he comes home for details as to what our vet told him) Other tests such as x-rays and blood work are done first of course to determine whether or not the symptoms are caused by constipation and to rule out other problems. I’m only guessing that Raven’s illness stems from extreme constipation based on what you told me. As you know, only a licensed veterinarian would be able to tell you upon examining him what condition/conditions he is suffering from. Being relatively new to this forum, I wasn’t aware that members had helped you out in the past. I still wish that I could do something to help. :shrug:

Tethra
                  Participant

Blackdesertwind, I hope that dear Raven pulls through and you find out what is causing his illness. I think you are coping really well. I know I am a mess when my 15yo kitty is sick as I just love her sooo much. Hang in there, it may be something simple that has been overlooked. I send you and Raven my thoughts and wishes.

He and Sienna are gorgeous kitties. I think I overdosed on cuteness over that last photo!

tethra wrote:

I know I am a mess when my 15yo kitty is sick as I just love her sooo much.

Awww, what kind of cat is she?

BDW
                    Participant

๐Ÿ™ I’m off to the vet with Raven. He was sick all night and the blood is darker.
                      I’m terrified!
                      The vet said he would try to take me in between clients since he’s all booked for the day.
                      I’ll let you know more later.

Lupin
                      Participant

Good Luck. I know I haven’t said so earlier, but you Know I’ve thought it, & worried about you guys!!

We’re wondering how long to wait with our Poor Old Jubie, since she’s definitely got herself into a situation. She ate a Plastic bag (& whatever the hell was in it, since that’s the only reason she’d have eaten the bag anyway.) nearly a week ago, & hasn’t been eating her food since (but she’ll bloody well eat the cat’s food, Sandwich crusts & other Khym leftovers). However we’d also been a week waiting for her Kidney food to come in, so she’d had a different food for that week, & we started the process of moving, so that could also have thrown her off her food. But now she’s got something stuck but nothing in there to help finish pushing it out. At least last night we found some grass so she could Cow Out(trouble with City Living), hopefully that’ll get her to throw up (if it’s stuck in her stomach) or push out what she’s got stuck there. However since we’ve had her down to a proper weight a week of not eating has her senior self down to a point that’s almost too skinny. ๐Ÿ™„ So much for the garburator.

Blackdesertwind wrote:

๐Ÿ™ I’m off to the vet with Raven. He was sick all night and the blood is darker.
                        I’m terrified!
                        The vet said he would try to take me in between clients since he’s all booked for the day.
                        I’ll let you know more later.

You’re doing the right thing — hopefully the problem will be diagnosed quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 193 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.