fbpx

July 28- Raven is now resting in peace.

Home Forums Miscellany Community July 28- Raven is now resting in peace.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 193 total)
  • Author

Quote:

At 2:30PM the vet called. Good news (in a way) He’s blocked and can’t make his stools pass. So that means no tumour or something like that, to me it’s good news but at the same time it’s not. He got an Xray and it didn’t show anything abnormal but it did show that he has alot of stools packed in there. That explain why I thought he couldn’t urinate. Every time he would strain to pass the stools what little urine was in him would come out. There was alot of hair in his stools and vomit that I collected for the vet. That he explained would cause blockage.
    He did say with what he’s been eating (plastic plants, coconut fibers) really irritated him and the fact that he’s blocked alone could cause him to through up blood and have some in his stools.
    So now we wait to see if he passes them or not tonight. They said that the laxative they gave him should work and that on the way home or not to long after he should pass them.

This actually happened to one my cats a few years ago, and it was very scary. 😮 My orange tabby Milo is may not have long fur like your Raven, but if his thick double coat isn’t brushed constantly, he winds up ingesting too much hair. I had been giving him high-fiber dry food because he gains weight easily, but I think that all that roughage, combined with the excess hair is what finally caused it. It began with him having a distended tummy and vomiting after eating, which is very unusual for him. I was afraid at first that he might be having kidney problems because vomiting can be a warning sign. Not to get too personal, but I suffer from various chronic gastrointestional illnesses, (including IBS with constipation) and so you can imagine my distress at seeing my cat hunched into a ball under the table in the middle of the night with the same type of cramping, making these terrible noises and vomiting during the whole thing. I described what I had seen to my parents, and we rushed him over to the vet first thing the next morning. An x-ray and blood test revealed only a build-up of stool as the cause, so the vet administered an enema and then sent our cat home after he had an initial bowel movement. The smell in that crate was unbelievable as he continued to leak stool, (that’s apparently what happens when you give cats enemas) but he appeared quite relaxed and was purring gratefully as we cleaned him up. After a bath and a few weeks on wet food he was completely fine. I make sure to brush him a lot more now and provide wet food on occasion. I think that this is just a problem that some cats with thicker coats can have due to regularly ingesting so much of their own hair while grooming. If I recall correctly, our vet prescribed a liquid laxative for Milo that we could mix in his food, but he wouldn’t take it. Fortunately, it turned out not to necessary. I’m pretty sure though that their are natural, over-the-counter, oil solutions sold in pet supply stores such as Petsmart, which can be stirred in dry food to relieve constipation in cats. Our cat’s been ok, so I haven’t had any reason to research it, but I can try doing an online search for you. Also, I sometimes spray citrus-scented Windex on artificial plants and plastic bags to keep my cats from chewing on them. Some people use a product called Bitter Apple. I wonder if that would help. If it’s kidney stones, perhaps low-magnesium wet food would prevent the problem from coming back. I know that there are a few brands which sell canned cat food formulated for urinary tract health.

Quote:

Raven is bringing up is food again and some blood comes out too. I’ll have to bring him back to the vet.
    He’s been sick last week and again this morning. He hasn’t eaten anything he shouldn’t so I don’t know what to think.
    Did anyone ever had a problem with “helicobacter pylori”?
    I got a feeling that may be the cause of Raven being sick and my son.
    Symptoms are the same. But in Michel’s case he doesn’t have any blood yet.
    I’ve been trying to contact his doctor about that for a blood test.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe that I was tested for this many years ago during an endoscopy because my acid reflux was so bad, but it came back negative. I do hope that your cat recovers that your son stays well. :yes:

Quote:

Yesterday my dad’s cat needed to be put down his kidneys had shut down and there was more problems. It made me real sad, I loved that cat! He was a male birman
    He will be missed. Pics of my dad’s cat.

I’m very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your dad. I lost my siamese Marcello five years ago due to kidney failure. He was nineteen and a half. 🙁

Pegasi1978
    Participant

Zephyr wrote:

Also, I sometimes spray citrus-scented Windex on artificial plants and plastic bags to keep my cats from chewing on them. Some people use a product called Bitter Apple. I wonder if that would help.

That’s a product (Bitter Apple) I haven’t heard of in years. I had a friend in 1992 who’s family got two boxer puppies after having to put their old boxer down. They used the Bitter Apple to try and keep them from chewing on things. It worked fairly well. I haven’t thought about Pfennig and Jasmine in a long time.

pegasi1978 wrote:

That’s a product (Bitter Apple) I haven’t heard of in years. I had a friend in 1992 who’s family got two boxer puppies after having to put their old boxer down. They used the Bitter Apple to try and keep them from chewing on things. It worked fairly well. I haven’t thought about Pfennig and Jasmine in a long time.

Perhaps it isn’t made anymore, but there are plenty of other brands of deterrent spray to choose from.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Bitter Apple is still made, I used to sell it a lot. You should be able to get it at most chain pet shops, or online.
        http://www.google.com/products?q=bitter+apple&aq=f

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Jasmine
        Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Bitter Apple is still made, I used to sell it a lot. You should be able to get it at most chain pet shops, or online.

Unfortunately, my cat actually likes the stuff (dumb, dumb cat). We sprayed the stereo wires and he sniffed, shook his head and then started chewing. 🙄

Jasmine wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Unfortunately, my cat actually likes the stuff (dumb, dumb cat). We sprayed the stereo wires and he sniffed, shook his head and then started chewing. 🙄
          That’s why I use Windex; every cat is different. When my Siberian husky Balto was a puppy, he used to chew the tops of the soda and Gatorade bottles that I stored in the corner of my kitchen. I tried everything, but I couldn’t get him to stop. So one day, I smeared some Tabasco sauce on the sealed bottle tops, and then went shopping. Now it may sound cruel, but I put down a huge bowl of water before I left. When I returned the water was gone, and he never chewed anything that I stored in the kitchen after that.

BDW
          Participant

Hey guys Raven is really sick again been going on for several days with blood. 🙁 I don’t think he is blocked this time and he hasn’t eaten anything he shouldn’t. So I need to get him in at the vet but I don’t have enough funds.
            If any of you are interested in my stuff for sale please tell me.
            I added two more items for sale.
            I’ll be adding a wolf sconce and a poad tonight.
            Link is here:

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12802&p=320085#p320085

Good luck with Raven. If he is badly constipated it can take a couple of days for the stool to pass. Sometimes when a cat is really constipated they need IV fluids and repeated enemas or mineral oil to soften things up. Occasionally they even need to be anesthetized and manually cleaned out. But hopefully he is not that bad and will pass the stool soon. Sometimes older cats develop megacolon and we never find a reason why – it is managed with medicine, fiber and diet. I’m hoping that is what is going on with Raven.

Lokie
            Participant

I’m so sorry for Raven. I’m currently dealing with several sick pets, so I can relate to being emotionally, physically, and financially taxed out at the moment. I hope he can get past what is ailing him and I’m sending positive thoughts his way.

BDW
              Participant

Thanks guys for the info.
                I do have a bottle of Bitter Apple but it never worked on Raven.
                Yesterday he was sick 5 times during the day. Sometimes there is blood, others not. There is alot of bile at times too.
                I’ll have to isolate him maybe for 2 days to see if he’s pooping. With two cats in the house it’s difficult to tell who’s doing it.
                I wish I didn’t have to worry about money right now but that is not the case.
                I haven’t gotten my income tax statement back yet and don’t know if I’ll have to pay. I sure hope not so I can concentrate on Raven instaid.
                I wonder if I went with soft food instaid of dry it would help him?
                I’ll try that for a while.

NirvanaCat13
                Participant

Warm fuzzies and get well wishes to Raven!! I’m sorry he’s not doing well =( I’ll see if I can get the name of the stuff my mom used for our diaper cat Bobby to keep his stool soft and passing. I think it was a fiber based mild form of exlax or something.

At some point she had to remove part of his colon, and on a regular basis had to express his bowels manually by gently moving it along his intestines and out. It was uncomfortable for him, but he was such a sweetie and put up with it and tried to help the best he could….I don’t know if that’s the case with Raven, but what DDVM said about the constipation reminded me of the whole ordeal….

Lots of love and hugs sent your guys way!

Blackdesertwind wrote:

Thanks guys for the info.I do have a bottle of Bitter Apple but it never worked on Raven.
                  Yesterday he was sick 5 times during the day. Sometimes there is blood, others not. There is alot of bile at times too.
                  I’ll have to isolate him maybe for 2 days to see if he’s pooping. With two cats in the house it’s difficult to tell who’s doing it.
                  I wish I didn’t have to worry about money right now but that is not the case.
                  I haven’t gotten my income tax statement back yet and don’t know if I’ll have to pay. I sure hope not so I can concentrate on Raven instaid.
                  I wonder if I went with soft food instaid of dry it would help him?
                  I’ll try that for a while.

Every cat is different, and I don’t know what condition Raven has, but I was able to solve my cat’s constipation problem with a clean out at the vet, followed by more frequent brushing and a steady wet food diet for a few weeks. I still provide wet food every now and then to keep his system healthy. In my experience, high-fiber weight control or hairball remedy formulas can sometimes cause constipation in some vulnerable cats that ingest a lot of their own hair or forget to drink enough. If your cat has kidney stones, low-magnesium wet food that’s labeled “for urinary tract health” may help to prevent the condition from coming back. It is true, some pets like the taste of Bitter Apple products, that’s why I spray artificial plants with citrus-scented Windex, which my cats absolutely hate. I think that there is also a laxative product available for cats that you rub on their paws so that they lick it off; I can try to find some info about that. If you can get Raven to the vet, and constipation is found to be the problem (I do hope that it’s not more serious) hopefully they can manually clean out his system; this provided immediate relief for my cat. Milo did not bring up blood when he vomited during the period that he was impacted, however I remember what you said about Helicobacter Pylori — I was tested for it myself. I wasn’t aware that cats could be affected by it, but I see no reason why they couldn’t be. I’ve been in pretty much the same situation as you with my cat, so my heart goes out to you. I do not currently have my own income or any extra spending money, but what if a bunch of us on the forums donated to you directly via PayPal? Could that work? I also hope that your son is all right, you had said that he’d been ill.

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

Big snurggly loveses for Raven and you and Michel!!! Stressing out is no fun, especially when it comes to our furbabies that can’t talk to us and tell us what’s wrong 🙁 Hope Raven starts feeling better soon and you too!

Bernie aka twindragonsmum aka Beckie

tdm

BDW
                    Participant

Thanks Cat any info would help.

Zephyr wrote:

I do not currently have my own income or any extra spending money, but what if a bunch of us on the forums donated to you directly via PayPal? Could that work? I also hope that your son is all right, you had said that he’d been ill.

I wouldn’t accept it since you guys helped me enough already with my move from an abusing BF and my son’s trip at a special camp for handicap kids. But thank you for the offer. 🙂
                      Touch wood but Raven wasn’t sick yet today. But I know not to fool myself. He does that at times he’s fine one day then during the night he starts up again. 🙁

My family and I just went through another cat ordeal yesterday if you can believe it. I had debated whether or not I should post about it because I didn’t want it to look as if I was trying to overshadow anyone, but I swear this actually happened. My other cat Simba (he’s Milo’s brother) had been steadily losing weight and drinking a lot, though he still appeared energetic and playful. It became enough of a concern however that we finally scheduled a vet appointment, and they were able to squeeze him in at 3:00pm yesterday. We thought that he could have diabetes, and though we were afraid that it could be something a lot worse, our philosophy has always been that it’s better to catch something early while it’s still potentially treatable. Anyway, our vet immediately detected via palpation a tiny pea-sized lump on Simba’s neck, and a blood test confirmed his suspicions — Hyperthyroidism. This also explained our cat’s thinning fur and dry skin. We were so relieved that it wasn’t serious, and we’ll just have to administer a little tuna-flavored medication daily in wet cat food, hopefully he doesn’t put up a fight. Apparently the meds also come in pill form, and I know that Greenies brand manufactures cat treats that are designed to enclose pills, so there’s always that option. I couldn’t believe it, it cost $300 solely for the blood test, but of course it was worth it. Now I really can’t spend any money, but I just thought I’d share my story. I mean, Milo’s constipation was at least a few years ago, but we only found out about this yesterday. I’ll see what works with my cat, so if your Raven has to take medication, I could always provide some tips as to what might work in getting a cat to take medication. I’m rooting for you all way — I hope that Raven is able to make a full recovery as soon as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 193 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.