fbpx

Jewelry Making as Therapy?

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Jewelry Making as Therapy?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

Stephanie, your jewelery is pretty….good luck selling! πŸ˜€

Stephanie
      Participant

lamortefille wrote:

Stephanie, your jewelery is pretty….good luck selling! πŸ˜€

Thank you! πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
        Participant

lamortefille wrote:

twindragonsmum wrote:

I’ve always been addicted to beads, rocks, glass, etc, It’s what my hubby calls “The Magpie Instinct” It’s really bad now that I have my wholesalers liscence and can go to bead/gem faires (which, if you live near Salt Lake City, Utah, the next is April 4). But my family has always been known to have rocks in our heads. When I’m not costuming, I’m designing and beadng for two diff. lines. One of my sisters is a geologist. My other sister is an archealogist/marine biologist that digs up dino’s (we get to go with her this summer). One brother is a mason who does the most beautiful waterfalls, walkways, etc. My Bro in OZ blows glass is his spare time and the youngest of us (another brother) just likes to rock hounding with his 4 year old son.

I’m a tactile person. I’m also a People person. I can’t just sit and watch a movie; I bead. Drives my hubby nuts “can’t you just sit still and relax?) Well, that is relaxing for me. I like the different finishes to the stone beads. Some have a waxy feel, some are slick, some are fairly rough but they all have differed characteristics. The one I’m obsessing over now is “Ocean Jasper” and if you can find a really good piece, it’s translucent with little orbs “floating” in it like lava lamps!

More later, gotta run the kids to school (good topinc, by the way!)

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

Did you ever post any of your jewelry for us to see/buy?

haven’t yet 😳 things have been hectic here ….. will try to do it soon! πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Very much so! I make jewelry when I need to take a mental break from painting all day. I am personally not into the metaphysical but there is something ‘grounding’ about working with the natural stones and silver and making it into wearable art. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Heather
            Participant

Crafts are always therapeutic for me! When I’m super-stressed, I tend to go basic, like crocheting (during a bad stretch I crocheted something like eleven or twelve ponchos, with fluffy fringes :P). When things are better, I paint PYOs, bead, knit, sketch, or make wire-wrap jewelry. The spare bedroom is crammed with yarn, beads, wire, books, paper, pens, and stuff! πŸ˜†

Shandi
              Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

I’ve always been addicted to beads, rocks, glass, etc, It’s what my hubby calls “The Magpie Instinct” It’s really bad now that I have my wholesalers liscence and can go to bead/gem faires (which, if you live near Salt Lake City, Utah, the next is April 4). But my family has always been known to have rocks in our heads. When I’m not costuming, I’m designing and beadng for two diff. lines. One of my sisters is a geologist. My other sister is an archealogist/marine biologist that digs up dino’s (we get to go with her this summer). One brother is a mason who does the most beautiful waterfalls, walkways, etc. My Bro in OZ blows glass is his spare time and the youngest of us (another brother) just likes to rock hounding with his 4 year old son.

I’m a tactile person. I’m also a People person. I can’t just sit and watch a movie; I bead. Drives my hubby nuts “can’t you just sit still and relax?) Well, that is relaxing for me. I like the different finishes to the stone beads. Some have a waxy feel, some are slick, some are fairly rough but they all have differed characteristics. The one I’m obsessing over now is “Ocean Jasper” and if you can find a really good piece, it’s translucent with little orbs “floating” in it like lava lamps!

More later, gotta run the kids to school (good topinc, by the way!)

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

I am the same way! I have to be doing something. I feel like I’m wasting valuable time just sitting and watching a movie. I am either drawing,embrodering,or beading while watching tv with hubby. All the rest of the time I’m in my work room working. Drives him crazy. AS soon as dinner is over I’m back in my room. I work 12 to 15 hours a day everyday but Saturday and Sunday. I usually sneek out and ride my horse on the weekends. Hubby gets worried if I go during the week while he’s at work.

I do the same thing. Whenever I am stressed or nervous I craft. I make jewelry, mostly strung bracelets, necklaces and earrings. I have a good 50-55 bracelets sitting here in a plastic shoebox, my website is down right now until hubby can fix the server, but I used to sell. Mostly I make stuff for myself, and for friends. I also make fertility bracelets, and miscarriage/infant loss memorial jewelery. Something about counting and stringing and completing jewelery makes me feel like I accomplished something. I also love to counted cross-stitch. I got started sticthing when I was diagnose with ovarian cancer almost 5 years ago. Stitching gave me control over something, when I had none. Then when I got dagnosed with pancreatitis, and eneded up in the hospital all the time, I would stitch right there in the hospital. I mostly make baby birth records, and give them to people, I’ve something like 38 in the past year, I am always stitching, especially when hubby and I watch TV, it’s relaxing, and soothing. Something about lining up x’s and seeing the pattern unfold is very theraputic. I also crochet, and I paint like a fiend, alot of very small xmas ornaments, and miniatures of buildings. Our second bedroom is my craft room. I have just about everything except a kiln, and stained glass, which is my dream. I also paint traditionally, in oils, acrylics and watercolors, though not as much anyore. I used to make miniature babies out of clay, but haven’t done that in a while. I’ll paint anything I can get my hands on, but have no money for PYO’s right now. One of these days if one of these jobs come through, I can start painting again. Sorry that was kinda long. πŸ˜€

Stephanie
                Participant

DragonMistress wrote:

Something about counting and stringing and completing jewelery makes me feel like I accomplished something.

*nods* I’m exactly the same way. There’s something so wonderful about being able to take a step back and say, “I made that. That’s what I’ve created.”

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.