fbpx

Internet woes — anyone savvy about Firefox?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Internet woes — anyone savvy about Firefox?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

I recently got Firefox, and lately I’m wishing I hadn’t.

It refuses to clear my private data (my parents are visiting, and I really don’t want to explain that the “Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge” popping up in my address bar is a humorous D&D guide…

I’ve tried going into the “Tools –> Clear Private Data” and checking all the boxes, and nothing happens — I STILL see the GtoUCK and all the rest. I’ve tried backclicking on “History”, on the actual bar itself, and on the toolbar. Nothing works to clear it. My entire month-long browsing history is on view for parents and the friend who came to help me move.

I then tried switching back to IE out of sheer exasperation, but Firefox won’t let me open it! Clicking on IE results in a Firefox window opening.

I’m about ready to throw this entire browser out the window and send a nasty vituperative letter to Mozilla to boot.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Nightcrow
      Participant

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Katherine
        Participant

Maybe try going to “tools”, “options”, and then under the “privacy” tab you can choose how many days that firefox will keep your history. If they wont visit until tomorrow, it might erase it. I am not sure though. I also can’t help with the IE not popping up. good luck!

purpledragonclaw
          Participant

You drove me to the dictionary on “vituperative”! Great choice of words!

I just cleared my history and private data and it was gone. I just checked my history and it was empty. And Firefox should not pop up when you click IE; is Firefox set as your default browser? Under Firefox, have you tried editing your preferences? As eaglefeather said, under the Privacy setting, you can choose how long Firefox keeps your history, and you can also uncheck the box that says “Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar,” and you can check the box that says “Always clear my private data when I close Firefox.” I hope you get this fixed!

nightcrow wrote:

I really don’t want to explain that the “Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge” popping up in my address bar is a humorous D&D guide…

I’m not sure why this would keep popping up in your address bar unless you have the startup page being set to that (whenever firefox starts, you can have it default to go to any page you like).

But if it’s just the “history” you are worried about, go to the “History” menu, look down the top of the list for “Show All History” and click on that. You can then highlight any line there and either double-click to open that page or hit delete to remove it from the list. You can hold the control button down and click multiple lines for delete, and so on. Or you can select all and delete everything.

I suppose you can also mess with the settings under “tools” as has already been outlined, but that would be a more permanent and indiscriminate solution.

But I well understand your frustration here. I feel like that every time I am forced to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. I feel as though I have been mistaken for a level 1 adventurer and have been deposited, lost, in a bewildering large space with a backpack full of Endless Possibilities, each of which is unrecognisable and gives no outward clue to its function.

Anonymous

By default, Firefox makes suggestions based off history AND bookmarks, so it will keep popping up in your address bar if you have it bookmarked.

If you don’t want Firefox to suggest sites in your address bar based off your bookmarks, go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy, and at the bottom change the setting for Location Bar. It can be set to History, Bookmarks, Both, or none.

If you want to let people use your browser and not see your stuff, upgrade to FF 3.5 which went stable last week (even though I’ve been using it for 4 months) and select Tools -> Start Private Browsing… before they sit down. Then they’re in their own little world.

Snapdragon wrote:

If you don’t want Firefox to suggest sites in your address bar based off your bookmarks, go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy, and at the bottom change the setting for Location Bar. It can be set to History, Bookmarks, Both, or none.

This appears to be a feature of FF 3.5. It wasn’t available to me until I upgraded after reading your message (I have FireFox set to automatically download and install updates, but I guess this was an upgrade rather than an update…).

Anonymous

Yes, 3.5 has all the privacy feature overhauls.

Also it stopped using 1.2 GB of memory and went back to a respectable 300 MB for me. (I’m running many self-updating windows with AJAX so memory gets away on me fast..)

Snapdragon wrote:

Yes, 3.5 has all the privacy feature overhauls.

Also it stopped using 1.2 GB of memory and went back to a respectable 300 MB for me. (I’m running many self-updating windows with AJAX so memory gets away on me fast..)

Oh God, I am going to go upgrade RIGHTNOW, because I’m at 1.4 GB right now, insane!

Snapdragon wrote:

I never checked this before, but right now mine’s running between 99 MB and 120MB. Of course, the 1.2 GB would have required serious virtual memory on my machine as it only has 1 GB of memory chips (and that’s WITH the maximum upgrade. No-one can complain that I’m cutting edge in my choice of toys).

Anonymous

Mine’s at 111 and I just restarted it. Boo.

If it gets the job done, there’s no reason to replace or upgrade it. Sometimes that causes more problems that you gained in advantages.

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

Uh, Snap, what happened to your name?? Are you no longer Snapdragon???

Anonymous

:shrug:

purpledragonclaw
                      Participant

Okaaaay, time for me to learn how to pronounce your new name!

Anonymous

Not possible. 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.