fbpx

Interesting Griffin

Home Forums Miscellany Community Interesting Griffin

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

oh i HAVE to comment on this one!! design toscano does NOT sell quality stuff! the griffin, true, was offered by them a while back,( i feel so bad i didn’t get one then) but it was not made by them- they ordered em/commissioned em from another company who made those cast marble pieces. toscano sells hollow cast resin items, is some cases when they can’t make it hollow, its solid resin. made in china. pieces i have from them are VERY pitted and pimply – i have a pair of lions with faces like swiss cheese from the pitting/air bubbles! hair and debris stuck in the paint, big ol whole finger prints in the paint etc.!! really shocking!! a few other pieces are cast iron or whatever, as specified, but all made in a bit of a hurry, but you get what you pay for, and if you are not looking at the item up close its ok. if you look closely at their pieces- say angels, human figures, the classical reproductions- you’ll see they’re done so roughly with really poor hands on the figures, out of proportion, etc.it bothers me cuz i feel it disrespects the original historic piece because their “sculptor” copies it so poorly. i’m picky though.there is worse out there in the world too.
      however, you can get some decent stuff from them- i have the rule of only get it if its cast from an original- not sculpted by one of their peeps.then you may get a good deal. or in the case of that beautiful griffin, made by someone other than their crew.

frozendragon
      Participant

tfsculptures wrote:

oh i HAVE to comment on this one!! design toscano does NOT sell quality stuff! the griffin, true, was offered by them a while back,( i feel so bad i didn’t get one then) but it was not made by them- they ordered em/commissioned em from another company who made those cast marble pieces. toscano sells hollow cast resin items, is some cases when they can’t make it hollow, its solid resin. made in china. pieces i have from them are VERY pitted and pimply – i have a pair of lions with faces like swiss cheese from the pitting/air bubbles! hair and debris stuck in the paint, big ol whole finger prints in the paint etc.!! really shocking!! a few other pieces are cast iron or whatever, as specified, but all made in a bit of a hurry, but you get what you pay for, and if you are not looking at the item up close its ok. if you look closely at their pieces- say angels, human figures, the classical reproductions- you’ll see they’re done so roughly with really poor hands on the figures, out of proportion, etc.it bothers me cuz i feel it disrespects the original historic piece because their “sculptor” copies it so poorly. i’m picky though.there is worse out there in the world too.
        however, you can get some decent stuff from them- i have the rule of only get it if its cast from an original- not sculpted by one of their peeps.then you may get a good deal. or in the case of that beautiful griffin, made by someone other than their crew.

if I bought something from them that looked like that….they’d get it right back….

besides you can get most of the stuff they sell at a good mall any day…

there’s a mall in dallas that has a store that sells just about everything that’s in that catalog…and it’s a lot cheaper and you can pick the best pieces yourself

Tiffany
        Participant

yeah thats what u need to do with those… if theres a piece you really like, try to hand pick it. heck, even spencers carries some of their stuff! that’s not much for them to boast about, but yes, at least to can pick one that isn’t too defective. im sure peeps have gotten decent pieces but u have to hand pick em.

frozendragon
          Participant

tfsculptures wrote:

yeah thats what u need to do with those… if theres a piece you really like, try to hand pick it. heck, even spencers carries some of their stuff! that’s not much for them to boast about, but yes, at least to can pick one that isn’t too defective. im sure peeps have gotten decent pieces but u have to hand pick em.

I like that Mermaid lamp they had….not sure if you know which one I’m talking about…but it was so pretty….they wanted something close to $600 for it….I saw the exact same lamp in the mall in Dallas for $199….

but after seeing it in person…I’d rather just get something from crate and barrel or something… 😯

lamortefille
            Participant

I bought this wall tracery and Michael angel sculpt (the larger version that they must not carry anymore) from them and they are both beautiful. http://www.designtoscano.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1342&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1342
              I have this gargoyle plaque over my front door.
              http://www.designtoscano.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1506&itemType=PRODUCT
              I have a crouching gargoyle that they don’t carry anymore. No pitting, hair, etc. BUT, they were all purchased like 4 years ago, so maybe they have switched suppliers and are getting cheaper quality. Any of the resin dragons like the clock, coasters, box, lamps, etc., I found much cheaper on eBay. I would just look through their catalog for ideas;)

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.