fbpx

I'm new so forgive me for asking but….

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody I'm new so forgive me for asking but….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Landipan
    Participant

What’s the scoop on the horns? I’m fairly new, so this is probably an old subject but why are the horns for the unicorns/dragons/etc. hard to get? Aren’t they made by Windstone? Can’t more just be made and cast?

So sorry if I’m asking a question on an old subject or a a question with an obvious answer that I’m just not getting, I’m a newbie lol xP. I’m just genuinely curious since I’ve seen it mentioned many times about a horn shortage.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

*Formerly meowmix101
      Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Hannah
      Participant

The short answer (in case Melody doesn’t get to this) is that the horns are not made at Windstone and the pewter dealer that they had been using in the past is for some reason or another unavailable to produce for them again (sorry, I don’t remember the actual reason for this!). They are working on getting a new pewter dealer to cast more horns for them but it has been (and likley still will be) a long process. From what I understand, getting the horns cast correctly isn’t as easy as it sounds!

That’s it in a nutshell, but I am sure that someone else can add more detail to the story 🙂

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Melody
        Keymaster

What’s the scoop on the horns? I’m fairly new, so this is probably an old subject but why are the horns for the unicorns/dragons/etc. hard to get? Aren’t they made by Windstone? Can’t more just be made and cast?

So sorry if I’m asking a question on an old subject or a a question with an obvious answer that I’m just not getting, I’m a newbie lol xP. I’m just genuinely curious since I’ve seen it mentioned many times about a horn shortage.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

Here’s the looong answer:
          We did make the horns ourselves, (though we had always sent them out to have them plated) but we didn’t need to cast them often enough to keep someone trained in the process, so we started sending the pewter casting out. As often happens when we don’t do it ourselves… a big batch of pewter pieces came back defective, so that when they got plated they would develop “Horn Rot” years later. This is very not-good, so we started the hunt for a new casting company.
          Not so easy! Most pewter companies on the west coast are gone now. We did find one we would like to use. Their quality is great… BUT they use a different type of molds, so our own molds won’t work for them.They will need to remake the molds. That would be no big deal IF we could find the original silver masters of the horns!
          We need to use the original silver masters because there is shrinkage in every step of the process, resulting in a pewter piece that is far smaller than the original. I sculpted the gypsum figures to fit the finished pewter castings so that they would match as closely as possible.
          We can cast new horns, using the pewter horns we have and working backwards, but it would be a real pain…I’d probably need to re-sculpt all the horned creature’s horn sockets to fit the new horns …and since we can’t keep up with demand for the dragons we have, we are not dealing with it. This is how we operate.

Landipan
          Participant

Wow, I didn’t realize the horns were such a tricky item, I hope eventually a way is found to make them comfortably again, As I do so love the unicorns in particular!

Thanks so much for the info, I now understand why the horn issue is a no simple fix.

*Formerly meowmix101
            Not currently open for PYO commissions.

rock-reader
            Participant

About those horn molds…is there any way to take the current molds and use them to cast horns in some other metal that has significantly less shrinkage than pewter? Don’t different substances have different shrinkage rates? The new material casts only have to last long enough to create the new formated molds, right? Just asking…

This is my first time in the forum. I want to say how much I appreciate all the information available here! I’ve been reading everything – you people have very interesting and enlightening conversations. Thank you, Windstone, for hosting all this on your website!

Melody
              Keymaster

About those horn molds…is there any way to take the current molds and use them to cast horns in some other metal that has significantly less shrinkage than pewter? Don’t different substances have different shrinkage rates? The new material casts only have to last long enough to create the new formated molds, right? Just asking…

This is my first time in the forum. I want to say how much I appreciate all the information available here! I’ve been reading everything – you people have very interesting and enlightening conversations. Thank you, Windstone, for hosting all this on your website!

The pewter horn molds are rubber, which shrinks.The pieces that are cast from these molds will be significantly smaller than the original silver ones no matter what material we cast in them. To make new molds for the pewter pieces, we need to find or remake the original cast silver ( or sometimes epoxy) horn masters.
                This is how the horns were made:
                1. I sculpted one original for each horn out of clay or something
                2. a mold was made on that piece -that mold shrinks a little.
                3. a gypsum casting was made in that mold -gypsum expands a little.
                4. I polished and finished the gypsum horn
                5. a mold was made on that horn- shrinks
                6. wax is injected into that mold, to make a set of wax masters -wax shrinks
                7. lost wax molds are made on the wax masters- these don’t shrink

8. silver is cast into the lost wax molds-
                9. a rubber spin-cast mold is made with the silver masters
                10. The pewter pieces are cast in that mold.

So, after all these steps, you end up with a horn that is way different in size from the one you started with. This is why I sculpted the creatures to fit the finished pewter horn castings.
                The thought of working backwards from scratch, making new horns to fit the dragon/unicorn/kirin etc. sculptures, makes my head hurt, but we may need to do that.
                There are ways to make this work, but it is a real pain.

rock-reader
                Participant

WOW!!!! It’s alot more complicated than I could have imagined. I withdraw my question!

Purplecat
                  Participant

Would it be possible to find a company/business that offers the 3d printing service and have them reproduce the existing horn with say….a 10% size increase (or whatever number you’d need)?

You might have to do this a couple times until you figure out the right percentage….but it’d be simpler than resculpting the horn repeatedly.

KaytanaPhoenix
                    Participant

Would it be possible to find a company/business that offers the 3d printing service and have them reproduce the existing horn with say….a 10% size increase (or whatever number you’d need)?

You might have to do this a couple times until you figure out the right percentage….but it’d be simpler than resculpting the horn repeatedly.

Oh! That’s actually a good idea (From my view point of having no idea how all this works, lol!) I think it would at least be worth looking into 🙂

Tara
                      Participant

With 3d printing, the computer scans the item then reproduces is with a 3d printer. I think some 3d printers cut it out of a block of say Styrofoam using a laser. Others build it up in layers kind like adding adhesive to layer after layer of powder. I was watch a program the other day where this car company cut 3d prototypes out of styrofoam using a laser. I think they were cutting car parts to make molds or something like that.

To use 3d printing to enlarge the horns you probably have to find a company who uses a medium suitable for making a mold afterwards. But it could work as long as it’s not too expensive.

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

With 3d printing, the computer scans the item then reproduces is with a 3d printer. I think some 3d printers cut it out of a block of say Styrofoam using a laser. Others build it up in layers kind like adding adhesive to layer after layer of powder. I was watch a program the other day where this car company cut 3d prototypes out of styrofoam using a laser. I think they were cutting car parts to make molds or something like that.

To use 3d printing to enlarge the horns you probably have to find a company who uses a medium suitable for making a mold afterwards. But it could work as long as it’s not too expensive.

Hell, even if it is pricy, get a kickstarter (or one of those sites that builds funds for projects) for it! I’d donate to the cause if it got our unicorns and laps/scratchers back!! It’d just be a 1x per horn hit price wise… I bet Windstone collectors would have no problem at all funding this project if it got everything back on track 😀

Lesley
                          Participant

I’m a kickstarter addict, so I would definitely help there! lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.